Where to go?

Name
Cheryl
Edit My Images
Yes
We're thinking of going away for a few days in a week or so, just some time out to rest, relax and recuperate. I've been looking on the Ryanair website as they have some really cheap flights at the minute.
Does anyone have any suggestions / recommendations as to where may be a nice place to go? I'm quite open minded and don't mind whether its the UK, Ireland, or abroad. Just no mountain climbing, skiing or snowboarding as I'm feeling a little delicate at the mo :)

:ty:

Yep anywhere just don't fly with ryanair, i think they are pants, I had a flight cancelled at the last minute in 2006 going to berlin. luckily we hadn't booked the hotel. Then when all this tax malarky was going off i thought their MD was a complete twit (polite) saying if we haven't sent you an email about they extra tax, don't turn up at the airport 'cause we won't let you on the plane, basically if you've had no word from us it's up to you to chase it up. PANTS. :razz:

Plus you've got to pay per bag you check in aswell, although I think everyone is starting to jump on this bandwagon.

How about Jersey, Cheryl? While you're there you could explore the other lesser known Channel Islands too like Sark and Herm. They're so small that they don't allow cars on the islands. Beautiful scenery. The beech in Herm is famed for it's pebbles. So many photographic opportunities in the Channel Islands too (y)

If you fancy UK have a look at this place....

http://www.westawaycornwall.com/

We stopped early last year, my first time to Cornwall and absolutely loved it, its a small B&B but 5* and run by the nicest people around, the breakfast is to die for, many various options from cereals to full cooked to lovely fresh haddock with a poached egg....loads of options. They do offer evening meals if you book in advance notice of this, she sends you a menu, all freshly prepared and cooked from local goods. I guarantee you love it. :)

M and F in law went back again in Sept 2006, think they are due to go again in spring too.

Right next to Port Isaac, also very near the barn the use to film Doc Martin if you watch that.

What about Madeira? - Av Temp in Feb is 19c - Not great for nightlife but you did say you wanted r&r? - Hoping to head there in April myself ... Paul ;)

Come see South Africa!!(y)

Lots of diverse landscapes, photo opps and your money is immediately worth about 14 times what you actually have in your wallet!!:LOL:

:whistle:

Oh well if you 2 ever come this way we can take you around and show you all the good spots(y)

We stopped in a Travelodge in the Lake District off the M6 for a few nights in Jan, and just walked and walked. Beautiful scenery, and cost us next to nothing! I'd recommend it - the Yorkshire Dales also provided superb walks and scenery. We'll probably go back Autumn-time.

Please tell us more...

Would love to visit the lake district but had a look on a few sites and it looks rather pricey...especially after rands have been converted to pounds:eek: :D

Try the Algarve around Olhos D'Agua flying into Reus- cheap at present & has stunning cliffs made of different layers of coloured sand + long beaches + not many people around. It is also known as the Pine Cliffs area. Try looking at the Sheraton Pine Cliffs hotel website for some views of the scenery

JohnB

Please tell us more...

Would love to visit the lake district but had a look on a few sites and it looks rather pricey...especially after rands have been converted to pounds:eek: :D

We stopped here and if booked far enough in advance (we did it a month beforehand) you can stay for £15/night. It wasn't in the nicest location, but there was a hotel about 4 miles down the road which did superb food and was really quite cheap. The Travelodge was about 30-40 mins from Lake Windermere, and we took a drive to the Yorkshire Dales and did a lovely Waterfall Walk which was supposed to take about 2 hours, but we were so busy snapping away we did it in 5!

going LD in the summer, going to do scafell pike, and many others, topped off with a spot of windsufing on windermere

We stopped here and if booked far enough in advance (we did it a month beforehand) you can stay for £15/night. It wasn't in the nicest location, but there was a hotel about 4 miles down the road which did superb food and was really quite cheap. The Travelodge was about 30-40 mins from Lake Windermere, and we took a drive to the Yorkshire Dales and did a lovely Waterfall Walk which was supposed to take about 2 hours, but we were so busy snapping away we did it in 5!

Thanks Markp (y) Paul and myself were thinking of going there in the summer for a long weekend to take some photos of waterfalls (y)

The most expensive part of the Lakes - are the flipping costs of Car Parking. I know you've heard me gripe about it before but if anyone knows of cheap car parking that might be a good idea to share :)

I'll kick off - Grasmere - In hols try the school carpark - its a voluntary payment to the school (put the money through the door) - and is far cheaper than the car park next door. - and goes to a far better cause imho

The most expensive part of the Lakes - are the flipping costs of Car Parking. I know you've heard me gripe about it before but if anyone knows of cheap car parking that might be a good idea to share :)

I'll kick off - Grasmere - In hols try the school carpark - its a voluntary payment to the school (put the money through the door) - and is far cheaper than the car park next door. - and goes to a far better cause imho

Thanks for that K.I.M.
We're off to the lakes for a few days next week. Shame about the parking. I'd no idea it was that bad - I guess we'll find out next week :shake:
Anyway, hope the weather is at least half-decent (I know, some hope...lake district in Febuary :help: ).

Rich

id opt for the lakes too absolutely stunning scenery

Be a great idea to sticky some of these ideas, they all sound worth a look at some point.
Min, have you decided where to go yet?

No, still debating :LOL: I don't fancy anywhere that involves a long drive as being in a car really isn't comfortable on my tum at the minute. We're looking at cheap city breaks abroad at the mo.

Amsterdam is a great place to go for a weekend. Apart from the obvious, it is a beautiful city, and full of really interesting people. The buildings are fabulous and the street entertainers are really cool too. If you go, a canal boat ride for the about 9 euros each is a great cheap way to see a lot of the city. Some great photo opportunities. Loads of good restaurants to eat too. I guarantee you'll have a good time.

After lots of deliberating and debate, we're now going to Dublin for a few days. I was all set for Prague but gave the final decision to the other half and he opted for Dublin. We have never been there before, so I'm looking forward to it.

Soooo... next question - what is there to see & do in Dublin?

After lots of deliberating and debate, we're now going to Dublin for a few days. I was all set for Prague but gave the final decision to the other half and he opted for Dublin. We have never been there before, so I'm looking forward to it.

Taste "real" Guinness & make sure you visit the famous Anna Livia Millennium Fountain known by the locals as "The Floozie in the Jacuzzi" which is in O'Connell Street (I'm sure Janice would like to have a pic of that :LOL:)
Paul ;)

Dublin is superb! You'll love it. (y)

Taste "real" Guinness & make sure you visit the famous Anna Livia Millennium Fountain known by the locals as "The Floozie in the Jacuzzi" which is in O'Connell Street (I'm sure Janice would like to have a pic of that :LOL:)
Paul ;)

Don't forget "the Tart with the Cart" too....great statues and a great city. Take an open top bus ride.....the driver talks you round the city and they are hilarious!

Erm....

:p :p :p

Back