Woodsy has not posted again so no point putting it in the adds ;)

Last edited:
I've had three Pentax 6x7 bodies, a nice one bought from Japan and two beaten-up ones from a German seller which had obviously had a million rolls through them. The shutters were perfect on them all. In fact, I see more posts about broken electronics in 67II models than 6x7s.
So what do you recomend the OP do? :thinking:

Buy an RB67... ;)
This is actually not a halfbad advise. Though there are significantly differences in weight, shutterspeeds and overall handling I find the mamiya RB/RZ gives more of the Medium Format experience than the P67. The 90, 105 and especially 165 takumars are awesome lenses but so are most of the Sekors.

This is actually not a halfbad advise. Though there are significantly differences in weight, shutterspeeds and overall handling I find the mamiya RB/RZ gives more of the Medium Format experience than the P67. The 90, 105 and especially 165 takumars are awesome lenses but so are most of the Sekors.

I've never used the Pentax to be fair but I've always said you can bury me in my RB, besides you never know when a fence post will need knocked in.

The RB would seem to have a couple of advantages over the pentax, mechanical shutter being the primary and with it being in the lens you don't lose the whole camera if it packs in. Though one does need to get used to the unique handling of the RB/RZ.

I've just been looking at the prices for just the body (67ii), and it's become glaringly obvious that I can't afford it :( Apologies!
You may as well go for the Mk1 version, much cheaper and will serves as a nuclear bunker for you and Nikki should Kim Jong Un and Donald Trump ever decide to go further than simply willy waving.

You may as well go for the Mk1 version, much cheaper and will serves as a nuclear bunker for you and Nikki should Kim Jong Un and Donald Trump ever decide to go further than simply willy waving.

H'mm it could be 30-40 years old and what are the chances of getting one hardly used. When I was going to MF in the old days did consider it as the lenses supposed to be very good but the flash sync of 1/30 sec is crappy for portraiture. So decided a Tele Rollei might do and that was crap so got the RB67.

Last edited:
H'mm it could be 30-40 years old and what are the chances of getting one hardly used. When I was going to MF in the old days did consider it as the lenses supposed to be very good but the flash sync of 1/30 sec is crappy for portraiture. So decided a Tele Rollei might do and that was crap so got the RB67.
Well you could have got a leaf shutter lens for the P67 like the 90mm or 165mm to deal with the 1/30 sec flash sync.

Well you could have got a leaf shutter lens for the P67 like the 90mm or 165mm to deal with the 1/30 sec flash sync.

Well I would think a 165mm leaf shutter would be scarce. Anyway have been happy with the RB67 and even if the Pentax 67 was\is a great camera and superior? I always say what you don't know you don't miss ;)

Well I would think a 165mm leaf shutter would be scarce. Anyway have been happy with the RB67 and even if the Pentax 67 was\is a great camera and superior? I always say what you don't know you don't miss ;)
Would anyone say that the Pentax is superior? Marginally more portable perhaps. They are both extremely well regarded and both have great optics. I don't think that you're missing out, just enjoying a slightly different 6x7 experience [emoji5].

Last edited:
Would anyone say that the Pentax is superior? Marginally more portable perhaps. They are both extremely well regarded and both have great optics. I don't think that you're missing out, just enjoying a slightly different 6x7 experience [emoji5].
:agree:
Yes the P67 is a lighter camera with a few more faster lenses and a faster Max shutterspeed.
BUT, it's only really usefull with the prismfinder, lacks interchangeable back, the revolving mechanism and the closefocus ability of the RB/RZ series. As said above just a different 6x7 experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a GS 1 for a while, a lovely camera, very well made and functional and the lenses were incredibly sharp.

I had a GS 1 for a while, a lovely camera, very well made and functional and the lenses were incredibly sharp.

Just AAMOI why did you sell it? Mind you Andy I know you like trying\playing with all sorts of cameras ;)...and as another AAMOI do you have a camera that you have kept say for 20 years?

Just AAMOI why did you sell it? Mind you Andy I know you like trying\playing with all sorts of cameras ;)...and as another AAMOI do you have a camera that you have kept say for 20 years?

I sold it because I don't like cameras with interchangeable backs, they confuse me
I've only really been into Photography seriously for about 10 years and film for 8 so I don't have any cameras that I've owned for that long. The camera I've had the longest is my Mamiya C330f, I've had that for 6 years and I will not be selling it ever.

When deciding a MF camera the C330 was on my shortlist out of all the cameras available when I didn't have any grey hairs (y)

When deciding a MF camera the C330 was on my shortlist out of all the cameras available when I didn't have any grey hairs (y)

Did they have Mamiya cameras that far back Brian? :D

The camera I've had the longest is my Mamiya C330f, I've had that for 6 years and I will not be selling it ever.

The only thing that stops the Rolleicord being my perfect camera is the fact that I can't focus it without my glasses. The Bronica is easy to focus.

Which do you think the C330 would be closest to in terms of focusing?

Alternatively, does anyone know where Icould get a greater magnification magnifying lens thing for the 'Cord?

I've searched with no joy so far.

Last edited:
The only thing that stops the Rolleicord being my perfect camera is the fact that I can't focus it without my glasses. The Bronica is easy to focus.

Which do you think the C330 would be closest to in terms of focusing?

Alternatively, does anyone know where Icould get a greater magnification magnifying lens thing for the 'Cord?

I've searched with no joy so far.

I don't think I have used another camera that focuses as well. I use the normal screen with my glasses off then fine tune with the close up thing with them on. Nails it every time. :)

Thanks Andy.

Maybe I should get one of those cords to hang glasses round your kneck.

But I think the statutory minimum age for those is 75.

Or a monocle.

Thanks Andy.

Maybe I should get one of those cords to hang glasses round your kneck.

But I think the statutory minimum age for those is 75.

Or a monocle.

So, just a couple of years to go then. :D

The Bronica is easy to focus.

Post-1980ish Bronicas (i.e., ETR, SQ, and GS-1 series cameras) have the best focusing screens I've used; they strike a good balance between brightness and contrast. I'm not sure I've used anything as good, although my Rollei SL66E screen is the closest I've found.

:D

Is the metering as good in the Mark one version? Any other issues that the mark two solved?

You don’t need in-camera metering Woodsy, you have a LightMeter and your trusty Ansel Adamsesque sunny 16 superpower.

Not aware of any other Mk1 problems, certainly nothing that’s caused me concern.

The thing is, I kinda want to move on from the 645, and the P67 is looking rather tastey. What ever I move onto though must have built in metering because, really, the 645 - or what ever I move onto - is my lazy camera :D

I have a 67 and currently have a 67II on loan. The II is a better camera, the grip is better (I have a wooden right hand grip on the 67) due to the placement of the shutter release, aperture priority on the II makes it an even faster camera to use. I’m quick with a light meter anyway but it’s nice to not need to carry one.

For some reason my 67 feels like it has a larger and brighter viewfinder compared to the II but my 67 has a bright gridded fresnel screen, but the IIs plain screen is finer grained and I can see the DOF fallof easier.

The built in diopter correction is useful too although D800 eyepieces fit the 67. Downside of the II is that it needs two batteries instead of one and that it’s a lot more expensive. Don’t really notice a weight difference, I suppose the II is a bit lighter but they’re both firmly in brick territory anyway.

The II is a better camera overall but bear in mind I have built a 67 + 3 lens kit for less than what a 67II body alone goes for.

Last edited:
Lot's of cheaper stuff in Japan..interesting to know if we strike a trade deal, will customs still stick on 20% VAT.

Lot's of cheaper stuff in Japan..interesting to know if we strike a trade deal, will customs still stick on 20% VAT.

Probably. I think we currently pay it on secondhand purchases from non EU countries like the US.

Steve.

Seems a little on the expensive side with the 90mm f2.8. I'd wanna pay less than that with the 105.

I do actually know of a friend who is thinking of parting with his at the moment. It has the older lens on but is a 67ii with metered prism and wooden handle. Not sure how I can go about this with regards to non-classified trading etc as it isn't mine and he isn't on here. Do you have a budget in mind?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not yet, no. At this stage I'm really only concerned with whether the 67ii is worth it over 67. If it really is worth it, I'll start saving - and considering whether to sell the RB as well as the 645 - and re-look at what's available nearer the time

Back