She turned me into a newt....... I got better. :D

Good info :)

Say, for example, one just about had the budget for a 67ii, would you consider the 67ii worth it over the 67?

No, especially when you consider that you could get the 67 (not the older 6x7) with a 105mm lens and then add a 45/55 and still stay under the price of a 67II. The improvements are nice but aren’t essential. One thing to note is that the newer CR123a batteries that the II uses work better in the cold compared to the ones in the 67, also the bulb mode on the II doesn’t use up battery power, which may be useful for your landscape work.

MK 11 has the mirror lock up

The 6x7 does have the mirror lock up.

Which is why I said ‘early 6x7s’, see here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentax_6×7

Pentax added MLU in 1976. There’s a bunch of other information on the different revisions/changes over the years.

The sweet spot would be 67 model from the 90s since they’re the last ones before they introduced the 67II.

This is a good review of the 67II by Michael Reichmann... Note this:

"Pentax states in their manual that the tripod should weight more than the camera. I’d say the tripod and head should weight at least twice as much as the camera and lens combination for ultimate rigidity."

He does however have a lot of praise for the camera...

@Liam Clark did you ever have any luck? I am in a similar situation, does anyone else have experience of buying from japanese sellers, a few of them seem to be from a shop but obviously I have no way of verifying that.

@Liam Clark did you ever have any luck? I am in a similar situation, does anyone else have experience of buying from japanese sellers, a few of them seem to be from a shop but obviously I have no way of verifying that.

Hi @William_G welcome to the forum.

I've bought a few things from Japan, always from sellers who are actually a shop not private individuals, and apart from the extra time and the extortionate cost of importing (particularly the Parcel Fraud mark up, how can they charge you for NOT delivering an item? :mad:) the experience has been nothing short of perfect. Every item was as described or better, great packaging and usually with a (badly translated :D) note hoping I enjoy the item.

Thanks for your quick reply @Andysnap that is very encouraging! Normally I wouldn't have considered it but even with $90 of postage and uk import they are still going to work out several hundred pounds cheaper (aka another lens!)

Thanks for your quick reply @Andysnap that is very encouraging! Normally I wouldn't have considered it but even with $90 of postage and uk import they are still going to work out several hundred pounds cheaper (aka another lens!)

I obviously can't guarantee they are all as obliging but so far I've been pleasantly surprised.

I bought from South Korea and didn't have any problems (using eBay). The seller was polite and helpful and when the camera arrived (Canon 7 rangefinder) it was in slightly nicer condition than I was expecting. As an added bonus I didn't get hit with any extra customs charges. It's only one transaction but I would be willing to risk it again.

Back