Where to stay in Anglesey?

Name
Linda
Edit My Images
No
We may try to go to Anglesey at the end of June if it's not too late to book. Please suggest the best locations to stay - Photography is on the list but it’s not an exclusively photographic break.

Thanks

Advice from my partner who lived there for a few years: Chateau Rhianfa is a nice hotel, Beaumaris is a nice town and Menai Bridge town has a lot of nice restaurants. Holyhead is described as quite rough (actual phrase, "Holyhead isn't nice, it's where you go to die").

There's a layby between the Menai Bridge and Britannia Bridge that gives a nice shot of Menai Bridge, and near a restaurant called Dillons in Menai Bridge town is a jetty that had a boat moored that you can go on to shoot the bridge from below. Also near Dillons in a rib-ride company that gives tours of Menai Straits, but bring a coat! From the shore of Beaumaris you can take a photo of the Great Orme in Llandudno to across Snowdonia and towards Britannia Bridge. Back on the mainland theres Bethesda which has a zipline and further up is a glacial valley with good scenery, lakes etc.

Last edited:
Don't normally stay on the island as it's less than an hour from home, however I'd look at Llangefni which is pretty central, Rhosneigr on the west coast or Moelfre on the east.

The only place I've stayed over at is The Valley Hotel when on a gig at the RAF base, room was ok and good "pub grub" food.

Holyhead has the normal "interesting" areas associated with any port town;)

Can't see any benefit is staying in Llandudno if your aim is to explore the island. Llandudno is a great Victorian resort but will put 20 to 30 mins on your journey each day just to get to the Menai Bridge(s).

GC

Can't see any benefit is staying in Llandudno if your aim is to explore the island. Llandudno is a great Victorian resort but will put 20 to 30 mins on your journey each day just to get to the Menai Bridge(s).
A lot nicer hotels and restaurants

Last edited:
To be honest, whilst it's improving, Anglesey isn't overflowing with great accommodation. Beaumaris is the "liveliest" town, handy location for a sunrise shoot at Penmon lighthouse too. The main resorts are Rhosneigr, Trearddur Bay and Benllech all with the usual tourist amenities. If you're exploring, wherever you stay means some driving as the best spots are dotted around the Island. It's a lovely place, to get the best from it a little walking along the coastal paths is a good idea, you'll often find you have them all to yourself which makes a nice change to busy Snowdonia.

I can recommend a good book too if you're looking for ideas of where to visit ;-)

Simon

A couple of years ago we stayed at "Plas Dinas Country House", which admittedly is on the mainland, but it was a good base for both Anglesey and Snowdonia.

http://www.plasdinas.co.uk/

Lovely grounds, great staff...

Me and the wife stayed at the Gwesty Carreg Bran Hotel last Saturday night. It was a last minute booking and was about £80 for the night. It is just across the Britannia Bridge on the Anglesey side. We visited Caernarfon for a few hours (castle, boats, pub life, etc.) and then went to the Twr Mawr lighthouse (see my pic in the landscapes section). It would also be a good base for anywhere on Anglesey (if you are into lighthouses, there is South Stack and Penmon), or some decent North Wales landscapes - we came back to Cheshire through Betws-y-Coed (very picturesque little village with some waterfalls, etc.) and also went to the Swallow Falls (just up the road from Betws - the place was full of photographers!). I am sure there would be cheaper B&B's for example, but the location was great.

we came back to Cheshire through Betws-y-Coed (very picturesque little village with some waterfalls, etc.) and also went to the Swallow Falls (just up the road from Betws - the place was full of photographers!)

There's also the Aber Falls at Abergwyngregyn on the mainland if you're using the A55 Expressway instead of the A5.

GC

"Betws-y-Coed".... Oh, those roads... And the run from Beddgelert to Llanberis via the pass...... I need to get back there :giggle:

"Betws-y-Coed".... Oh, those roads... And the run from Beddgelert to Llanberis via the pass...... I need to get back there :giggle:

That area is blast from the past....... don't forget Capel Curig ;) Oh, the 5 hour drive including through Brownhills before the days of ''Spaghetti Junction" with £5 of petrol in the car for the round trip.

Even the run along the A5 from towards Wrexham to Anglesea is beautiful. It starts off all forestry, rivers and steam railway to the side, then opens into the snowdonia landscape, the hills then the lake and waterfall at Pont ben-y-benglog

i would stay near Menai Bridge for accommodation!
the village is nice and has lots of different pubs and eateries including a michelin star restaurant - but i doubt you will be able to get a booking that soon ( i think december 18 is the soonest) anglesey arms and victoria hotel are both in the village, carreg bran as said earlier is just by the Britannia bridge (have a look for the lions) about a mile from menai and half mile to llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch in the other direction where there i is a couple of pubs and the pringles shop and railway station which gather a lot of interest.

Beaumaris is a 15 minute drive and is lovely to stop in at on the way to penmon (lighthouse, priory and dovecote) with good pubs, food, castle and pier (fishing trips from here or tours of puffin island)
newborough/llanddwyn 20mins the other way is a truly outstanding beach and forest.
the coast up from there will bring you to Valley RAF base - if your into planes?
on the rhosneigr for kite surfing and little little tourist cafes,
over to holyhead will bring south stack lighthouse and lot of seabirds - not much in the town unless you like ferries.
over toward amlwch will bring parys mountain - an old copper mine - looks like your on mars!
moelfre will bring an lovely fishing village
mynydd bodafon on the way back to benllech is really pretty.
lligwy, benllech and red wharf bay are all popular tourist spots with some good cafes and beach huts.
then you are nearly back to beaumaris but Llanddona beach is worth a walk on for the miles of beaches and 25% & 35% hills to get there and back.

lots of places for you to google there but as per OP i would stay near menai if possible - the island is only 25miles across and you can get anywhere within an hour... remember the country lanes
also it is a better base if you do want to go exploring in snowdonia.

any questions feel free to ask away
ben

#edit check my profile pic for a clue to where i live :)

Last edited:
I stayed at the prince llewelyn anglesey a few years ago and although I believe it has changed ownership I have only heard good reports on the accomadation
http://www.princellewelynanglesey.co.uk/

Hi there

Being an Anglesey girl I would say definitely stay on the island if that's your aim, and frankly ( just my opinion) much nicer than Bangor and Caernarfon for tourists. Llandudno is quite a way away.....The mainland has a very different feel and Anglesey has its own microclimate. As other have suggested Menai Bridge is a really nice town as is Beaumaris ..do not stay in Holyhead, a bit rough and not much going on. Menai Bridge/Beaumaris would be good if you wanted to go to Snowdonia as it is a bit more accessible than Treaddur Bay although it is nice over there too.

Check out Wonderfully wild glamping - fantastic luxury lodges in a stunning location...( just outside Beaumaris)
The Bull Hotel in Beaumaris is nice and very authentic and their brasserie does very good food (don't think you can book the brasserie).
You may be able to get a last minute booking at Menai Holiday Cottages which do weekend breaks (self-catering).
The Gazelle Hotel in Glyn Garth does very good Sunday roasts with a lovely view of Bangor Pier opposite.
Dylan's in Menai Bridge is overrated food-wise although it is a nice spot - try the Bridge Inn instead.

There is always fife yacht racing on on a Saturday (afternoon) and Wednesday (evening) in Beaumaris and this can be quite spectacular if you like sport photography. You should also head up to Penmon and maybe take a tour round Puffin island if you like wildlife photography.

Having lived 10 minutes from Newborough Beach and Llandwyn island for at least half of my life I can safely say that this is one of the most impressive beaches I have ever seen and probably the most dramatic on the island as it has the Snowdonia backdrop. Definitely head to Moelfre, Benllech etc and I would try and get up to Snowdon/Betws y Coed area if mountains and wild landscapes are your thing.
Also the little known Cable-Bay on the Malltraeth to Rhosneigr road is very nice for a day on the beach....

KR
Charlotte

Thanks for this info; you have mentioned two of my favourite things. :ty:
We have booked a place in Rhosneigr so I guess we might also see the red arrows.

Any more advice, most welcome.

Anglesey Arms is just refurbished and does great food, and afternoon tea at Chateau Rhianfa is awesome! I wouldn’t bother with Llandudno if your intention is to explore the island, and there really are plenty of good eateries there.
Enjoy your stay.

Back