Where's best to go in Cannock Chase?

Edit My Images
Yes
Going to try and get over to Cannock Chase in the next few days to try and get a glimpse of the wildlife, ideally deer and some squirrel

So, where should i get the best opportunity to spot some? I know poaching is a problem and a PM instead maybe a better idea.

Either way, any info of where to park etc would be great.

Thanks in advance

Are you local to the area , i live about 20 minutes away.

chasemap2.jpg

Not too far, Burton on Trent although spent 6months in Hednesford which was just on the doorstep! Take the bike up there now and again on the trails just never explored with the camera.

Alex

You can go to the Marquis Drive visitor centre where there's a bird feeding station just behind the centre. I don't know if they've resumed feeding yet, but I'd imagine they have with the weather getting colder. Good chances of all the usual suspects, plus Yellow Hammers, Bramblings, Goldcrests, Siskins.

Then there's Fredas Grave and Brocton Coppice which both have unofficial bird feeding stations popular with photographers. The problem with those two places is that vehicular access is now restriced due to the plant disease they're trying to control there, so you'll have to park elsewhere and walk.

The Chase is a huge area, with abundant wildlife and some rare visitors at different times of the year, but you really need toknow the area pretty well. The ones I've mentioned are the obvious ones and probably the easiest to find for you.

Deer are a bit of pot luck really, some days you see them - some you don't. Loads of Grey Squirrels at Brocton Coppice, in fact they're a severe pain in the bum! ;)

Wrap up warm - it gets bloody cold standing around.

I agree with all CT said, but in addition there's many photo oportunities at Chasewater Country Park, just a few miles from the Chase. There's a little known website that gives details of the species seen there, plus much more general information, they also have a bird feeding station a few minutes from the railway cafe (Chasewater Heritage Railway). Recently they havent been maintaining the feeding station so dont rely on finding anything there but its worth checking out just in case.
The web site is:
http://www.chasewater.org.uk

You will find a map on the site too. Again, being by water, you need warm clothing.

Cheers guys, gives me something to go on(y)

May even get on the bike and cover some ground for a few days to find some decent spots.

Many thanks, Alex

Back