Which camera and why?

Edit My Images
No
Just picked up a Pentax ME super for my Daughters collection.
50mm lens
40mm lens
28mm lens
40-80 zoom
70-20 sigma lens but the surface coating looks damaged
£10!
Now is this better than an OM10? If so why?
She currently uses an OM10
Obviously she wants to get out and test both just wondered what peoples thoughts are?
She is currently saving up for her next round of processing!

The Pentax ME Super is a great little camera - I have one and I love using it. It's light, an easy starting point (or just quick and simple to use for someone more experienced) as it's aperture-priority. You have a great collection of lenses for it too! I use a 28mm on mine most often.
I've found it to be better than the OM10 because it has a shutter lock, so I'm not likely to fire off a shot accidentally. The meter is also more reliable on mine. It all comes down to preference though - if she feels comfortable with her OM10, let her use that.

Thanks
Why the 40mm lens? I just didn't think it would be much different to a 50?

It's not a lens length I often use - to be honest, a 50mm and 28mm does me for most things.

H'mm with film cameras (not the advanced ones) IMO for an ordinary amateur the film and lens is more important e.g. I picked up a Petri MF-2 at the bootie for about £2, in operation it felt cheap but it was as small as an OM and took screw lenses and I sorta liked it...anyway used some old Kodak Ultra that I picked up somewhere and stuck a Pentax 35mm on the camera and was pleased at the pretty results below. Do I still use the MF-2? well it had an intermittent light leak that I couldn't solve so dismantled it for spare screws.
So it a nutshell all my 35mm cameras can take pictures;)

Excellent results
Never heard of the camera, nice and compact though.

Thanks..When people "argue" about cameras it's mostly about handling as e.g. for a simple shot, you could put the same lens on a cheap Nikon and on the most expensive and get the same picture.
Anyway I've had three OM10s and although it's not my favourite camera I've taken some very good shots with it. And if I had a Pentax super would give the same answer.

It's a lovely little slr I remember a friend of mine purchased one as his first camera.
I can remember talking him through all the basics.
It came with a 50mm f 1.7 lens which was for a number of years his only lens.
I'm pretty sure she will love the camera I like the compact size and eventually purchased a MX body.
It's all about good glass at the end of the day good glass on any body will give very similar if not exactly the same result.
It's good to hear people are still shooting film and with manual focus lenses.
I'm sure with all those lens she will be out soon trying out the selection you have purchased for her.
Again the om 10 is a cracking compact slr which will provide her with excellent picture :)

Last edited:
Thanks
Why the 40mm lens? I just didn't think it would be much different to a 50?

IIRC the 40mm lens is a pancake... very small but a bit hard to focus with a very narrow ring.

You got a bargain there, BTW. That 40mm lens alone you could probably sell for £80 (assuming it's Pentax-M). The 50mm f/1.7 and f/1.4 are great lenses; not sure about the f/2. There's also an f/4 which is semi-macro; again I've never seen it, but I do have the 100mm f/4 and it's great. I believe the 40-80mm zooms are not so highly rated.

Have a look at the lens reviews here: http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/

Thanks
All thats slowing her down at the moment is the processing and printing costs, we are looking to set up our own dark room and have been offered some equipment on another forum, just waiting to arrange a collection time and see what else we need.

IIRC the 40mm lens is a pancake... very small but a bit hard to focus with a very narrow ring.

You got a bargain there, BTW. That 40mm lens alone you could probably sell for £80 (assuming it's Pentax-M). The 50mm f/1.7 and f/1.4 are great lenses; not sure about the f/2. There's also an f/4 which is semi-macro; again I've never seen it, but I do have the 100mm f/4 and it's great. I believe the 40-80mm zooms are not so highly rated.

Have a look at the lens reviews here: http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/
Thanks we will have to have a try out, the 40mm is very tiny as you say, looked odd at first being so small, I did read its good for around town sight seeing type shots?

Thanks
All thats slowing her down at the moment is the processing and printing costs, we are looking to set up our own dark room and have been offered some equipment on another forum, just waiting to arrange a collection time and see what else we need.

Well you can do your own processing without a darkroom, either need a dark bag and a normal dev tank, or a daylight tank like the Rondinax. Get a reasonable scanner, like the Epson 500 or related brands (including a number of older models second hand) or a dedicated 35mm model like the Plustek 7500i that I use. Then, if you want, you can do printing in a digital environment. Not trying to stop you go the whole darkroom route, which several people on here really enjoy, just that you can take smaller steps if you want.
Thanks we will have to have a try out, the 40mm is very tiny as you say, looked odd at first being so small, I did read its good for around town sight seeing type shots?

Yes, I think it just about makes the ME coat-pocketable, so an ideal about town lens. I'd suggest zone focusing with a reasonable aperture, rather than trying to get precise manual focus on street shots. F/8 and be there, as they say.

Film cameras are a light box, all of them.

The difference is in the lenses and the knowledge to take a decent photograph.

You've made me want to get my old Nikon EM working now.

Film cameras are a light box, all of them.

The difference is in the lenses and the knowledge to take a decent photograph.

You've made me want to get my old Nikon EM working now.

My EM has been in the family since new, a basic camera but I've taken some very good shots with it in the past. And thought the camera handled this point and shoot quite well

My EM has been in the family since new, a basic camera but I've taken some very good shots with it in the past. And thought the camera handled this point and shoot quite well

Got mine from freecycle and think it needs a new battery.

Do you know if they are still available?

I believe you can use either 1 3v cell or 2 1.5v cells.

Got mine from freecycle and think it needs a new battery.

Do you know if they are still available?

I believe you can use either 1 3v cell or 2 1.5v cells.

SR44 or LR44 or 3v one which ever is cheapest, the -ve is towards the screwed cap or in other words +ve is facing into the camera body.
I've just ordered a packet of these, might be ok for using in a camera for light use or for testing.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181920385718?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Last edited:
Personally not a fan of the ME super, but that is down to the fact that mine is jammed solid. (notably the only camera I own that has jammed up)

The 40mm makes this group of lenses a steal. It's honestly not as bad as some of the reviews would make out - sure, at f/2.8 it's not going to be like a 50mm f/1.7 at f/2.8, but it's a perfectly capable performer at f/5.6-8 upwards, and combined with an ME/MX makes a great combination.

Back