Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all

I'm in the market for a new camera body but need some advice on which one to go for. It will be used for architectural photography/walk through videos - mainly interiors.

To give you some context, over the last 18 months I have been using a Canon 550d (old I know!) with a £300 wide-angle sigma lens. With HDR software, the result is generally quite good, but I'm after something that's really going to take the photographs to the next level. Ideally I'd like the following features:
  • Able to take multiple shots in different exposures for HDR editing later down the line.
  • Professional quality result.
  • Decent video quality suitable for shooting walk-through videos of interiors. I love this kind of thing:
    View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Pg_1A-iVWo&t=150s
The easy thing to do here is go for the same camera and lens the guy is using in the video (Canon EOS-1DX Mark II). That said, it is rather expensive, and I wasn't sure if I could get a cheaper camera which did more or less the same thing?

My preference is Canon for the brand.

In terms of budget, the Canon EOS-1DX Mark II is realistically a little too expensive for me. I have, however, been recommended Canon EOS 6D Mark II, which is definitely affordable, and the Canon EOS 5D Mark IV, which is just about affordable if I buy second hand.

One option, I guess, is to get a cheaper body for photographing interiors and rent something like the Canon EOS-1DX Mark II as and when I need it for videography. That said, if there is a reasonably-priced camera out there that does it all then I would love to hear suggestions.

Ultimately, it needs to be an improvement on what I've already got!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

James

Last edited:
Fuji XT-3 Super video capability. Excellent Bracketing capability. wonderful stills and a shed load of fabulous wide angle prime lenses and some equally as good zoom lenses.
Its also thousands cheaper, and pounds lighter, than the 1DX Mk 11.

Fuji XT-3 Super video capability. Excellent Bracketing capability. wonderful stills and a shed load of fabulous wide angle prime lenses and some equally as good zoom lenses.
Its also thousands cheaper, and pounds lighter, than the 1DX Mk 11.
Can't argue with that, some great lenses, the 10-24 is superb, as well as a number of primes.

I'd also dump the DSLR for mirrorless. No need for 1DXii or any such huge sports bodies for your needs.They offer practically nothing (in fact gets in the way for video) unless your architecture is the kind that flies like in the mortal engines movie lol.

p.s. canon also does mirrorless bodies. I normally don't recommend them but if you must have canon for whatever reason the option is available.

Thanks guys, looks like a good shout (y)

I do have a couple of questions.

1) I can't see a tilt-shift lens online for this and ideally I'd like the option. If there isn't one, is there some kind of adapter I can use?
2) The guy in the video mentions that his lens is wide-angle but doesn't distort. This is ideal for those walk-through videos; do you think I'd be able to find something similar for this camera?

Sorry if those are pain in the arse questions! If you do have any suggestions that would be great.

Your current camera is capable of exposure bracketing for HDR processing, but I’m not sure about video as I’m not familiar with Canon cameras.

If you have definitely decided on a new body and must stick with Canon I’d suggest the EOS-R, it will be better for video and the Bari-angle screen will come in most handy. You can use the Canon EF lenses using the adapter so you’re not limited on lenses.

Thanks guys, looks like a good shout (y)

I do have a couple of questions.

1) I can't see a tilt-shift lens online for this and ideally I'd like the option. If there isn't one, is there some kind of adapter I can use?
2) The guy in the video mentions that his lens is wide-angle but doesn't distort. This is ideal for those walk-through videos; do you think I'd be able to find something similar for this camera?

Sorry if those are pain in the arse questions! If you do have any suggestions that would be great.

1) tilt-shift lenses are manual lenses and you can adapt them on to any mirrorless body without problems. Of course it better to use there on a FF body that they are designed for and such your better options are either Sony or Canon.
2) You have the widest non-fisheye UWA for mirrorless i.e. Voigtlander 10mm f5.6 and Laowa 10-18mm i.e. rectilinear lenses without distortions. You can also probably adapt whatever lenses he may be using on this DSLR. I would not recommend this because UWA lenses is one area where you can make significant benefits in terms of size and weight by buying mirrorless versions.

Buy something that's full frame that will give you the best choice in terms of shift lenses and wide angle lenses.

It's better to put your money into decent lenses and if you need to save some money buy bodies that are used. Bear in mind if you are doing it professionally you may need a couple of cameras just in case one fails on the job.

I don't know much about Canon bodies but a good Nikon choice would be the D750 which shoots good HD video and has a very good dynamic rage for stills and can be had for about £600 used, I am sure there's a similar Canon body.

I have the eos R and it will do exactly what you want.

I would get a gimbal for the walkthroughs though, just to smooth things out.

I think for estate photography a full frame camera & good wide-angel lens would be great

Have a look at Keith Cooper's website (Northlight Images). He is a commercial photographer and architecture makes up a substantial part of his business. He has a wealth of good articles and reviews which is backed up by images and his business success, and is refreshingly devoid of the idea that to take good photos you must have the latest gear.

Last edited:
Canon 5D Mk2 a canon 24mm TS-E mk 2 and a geared tripod head

Back