Which digital do you own (if any)?

Name
Keith
Edit My Images
Yes
Yes, I know this isn't an F&C topic, and I know it can be a touchy one, so feel free to ignore it. :exit:

However! I'm genuinely interested in what digitals a film-lover might be using, if any - far more useful and relevant to me than knowing which digitals a digital person is using. It'd also be interesting to see if a theme develops.

I have a Fuji X100, which I like, and a Nikon D90, which is a hideous lump of black plastic but which does the job. I'm pondering selling both and investing in a mirrorless system. The D90 is just so big, ugly, and cumbersome, I'd like something smaller and prettier. I'd also like to use my film lenses with whatever I go for.

I'm genuinely interested in what digitals a film-lover might be using, if any

None.

Well, my phone is capable of pictures, but I don't use it for photography, except for taking eBay/classifieds photos.

Last edited:
I have a Fuji X100T.
I also have, and use quite a lot, a Nikon D750... it helps that I also have a Nikon F100 and F4.

D3100 I got as a long sufferance award at a previous employer. Its a fugly little camera but it is nice and small and handy for taking ebay photos and less stressful for trying to track the kids. Only ever use the 1.8 35mm on it, I fear this may be the influence of mostly using fixed lens cameras or systems with only prime lenses.

I use a Sony A6000 with a selection of lenses. It's an excellent piece of kit and performs well as a second body in the weddings/portraits I shoot. I moved over from Canon a few years ago to a Sony NEX5 and the A6000 was the natural upgrade.

Canon Ixus 870IS...given to me as the lens wouldn't autofocus (siezed) anyway got the hammer and chisel out and it works great erm just for close ups though as anything over is blurred.

I have nothing digital now apart from my phone. I only use that for quick snaps for eBay etc.

Nikon D7000 which I use for Macro and not much else.

Fuji X100s which goes everywhere with me.

I think (but I don't know) that's there's a camera built into my £15 mobile phone, and there's certainly one in my tablet because it gets turned on at random times when I don't want it. There might be one in my laptop, but I've never looked. Apart from that, that's all. Sue has a number of digi cameras, and I borrow a Sony a7r (used with my OM lenses mainly) when I want snapshots or photos for websites or publication.

I wonder if my stuff would sell better if I lit it more artistically and shot it in 5x4 Velvia.

I've got a eos 5D mkII that I bought for landscapes etc, and I bought an eos M as carry about as the 5D2 was a bit of a beast to carry around all day. I've hardly used them since I got the "film bug" 2 years ago though. Somewhere I have an eos 400D too which my first camera so I can't bring myself to sell it, and I have a gopro that I use for kayaking.

I have the Canon 7D. I was predominately a sports photographer and that fits the bill nicely. But since analogue is the way forward, i haven't really used it much. Which is a shame as i bought a 70-200mm 2.8 lens for it last year. But as that fits on the Canon 500, i don't mind so much :)

EOS 650D. It is supposed to be my main camera but I like using my Olympus OM10 much more.

Fuji x-t1 and a few lenses. Sold all the dslr stuff last year and don't regret it for a moment. Love the Fooj, light, sexy and excellent IQ but it will never replace fillum.

Nikon D810. Money is going in the kitty for a phase one P65+ back for my mamiya 645 AFD.

Nikon D750. Owned it for a year. Less than 500 clicks.
Fuji X100...this could be the only camera to drag me away from film.

Thanks all! Not really a pattern, other than an unsurprising representation of the X100 family, the few who have given up digital, and a lot of barely-used dSLRs :D

Box full of digital and film cameras really.
Mamiya 645AF
Canon EOS 5
Canon AE1

5D3
50D
1D2
10D (first digital)
G12

Havent really used the cameras much at all lately but the portrait film thread got me thinking about hauling the L glass onto the EOS 5 and see what the results are like, the thread seemed to show "something" that is "missing" from digital images.

started with film way back in the late 50's ........:eek:
and still have/use a Canon A-1 and an AE-1
recently bought - from here - a NIKON F80

BUT - purchase, dev, scan is £11 for me - so it's rare to use these days

recently bought a NIKON D300 - and enjoy the facilities of experimenting with different exposures/DOF etc at no cost
also i can use my manual Nikon Ai-S lenses from my Nikon EM

A pair of Nikon DF's here which get used purely for weddings and related shoots with 24, 35 & 85. The lenses influenced my choice of automatic film body (F100) which again, only get's used for weddings now alongside the Contax.

Every time I do anything non-wedding, it's film for me and as most of you know, I am even integrating that into weddings now. :)

ummm, got a canon 40d, a couple of canon compacts and a lumix one for the mrs. Haven't used any of them barring the 40d once in the last three months.

A Nikon D3000. Don't think it has had even 1000 shutter actuations through it in the 7+ years I have had it. Does all I ask of it & am happy with the results but it feels soulless in use. Did think of upgrading it a couple of years back but decided I didn't use it enough to justify it. Got around 20 film cameras that compete with it & I just find them more enjoyable to use.

Interesting thread, I have 3 digitals, a Nikon D810, 649 clicks since I bought it 8 months ago, an Xpro 1 and an XT-1. What I like about the Fuji cameras is the film camera feel and controls.

5D mk2 and a GoPro Session

2 NIkon D750's under the delusion that I could get some 2nd shooter experience in different things.
1 Fuji XE-2 which doesnt see much use
1 Fuji X10 which is a lovely yet utterly worthless camera now so ive kept it and use it to shoot stuff i put up for sale

Mamiya 6 which is my main camera
RZ67 which was a total waste of time so will be going soon
Wista 5x4 which hasnt been used for a while now and i have to get it out sometime to make sure the bellows are ok since its been packed up for months on end
Fuji ga645zi which appears to be unsellable despite being awesome. Not used now due to the awesomer mamiya 6

Last edited:
A few digitals: Fuji X-E1, XPro1, X10, Canon 5d Mk1 and a lovely Ricoh GRD.
The Fujis handle great, the Canon is good for legacy lenses and the Ricoh is just a beauty.

Film is still the passion though.

I have a Fuji X10, small sensor which means good depth of field and a nice 28-112 equivalent zoom range. Gets used for the grandchild and family events. Tempted by other X cameras (because as said they have film-like controls), but keep deciding I'd prefer to spend the money on film, processing, film cameras or lenses!

I've got a D90 which gets used mostly for taking shots of film cameras. It still gets used for those times when a machine gun approach is required. I've also got an Canon Ixus but I can't remember the last time I used it.

So, last evening we ended up at Trebarwith Strand near sunset, and I had not brought ANY cameras! However, I remembered the crappy one on the phone so I at least managed to get a few shots to share with the kids...

So, last evening we ended up at Trebarwith Strand near sunset, and I had not brought ANY cameras! However, I remembered the crappy one on the phone so I at least managed to get a few shots to share with the kids...

Total muppetry..:cool:

Fuji X-Pro1 - love the look and the handling but doesn't get used enough to justify having it, if I'm honest. Bought because I wanted a mirrorless camera I could use with manual lenses and I have a bunch of adaptors that don't get used either.

Nikon D70 - a camera I keep saying that I'm going to sell but never do.

Olympus XZ-1 - compact for when I'm out and about and don't want to carry a heavy camera ... used for roughly 300 shots and most of those were tests.

I've identified a pattern in that I don't use enough of any of my cameras :oops: :$

I've thought about selling the Fuji and using the D70 because it's got great flash functionality, selling the D70 because I've got the XP because it's also got great flash functionality, selling both because I've got a compact, selling all of them and using my phone and so on. One day I'll make a choice, maybe.

On the digital front I have a fairly ancient Leica Digilux 2 which is 4.9 mp with a 35mm-equiv 28-90 f2-2.8 zoom on a small sensor. I paid £250 for it secondhand in 2009.
I only use it now for family snaps and ebay photos.

On the plus side it has manual shutter and aperture controls and manual or autofocus and is a bit like a predecessor of the Fuji XPro-1 but with a fixed lens and without the hybrid viewfinder of the XPro.

On the negative side, top speed is ISO400 and anything above 100 isn't very good. Also the control dial no longer operates properly so I can't review images; the covering is coming off, and some idiot (i.e. me) glued up the flap that gives access to the remote release.

In past times I have looked at the Fuji XT1, but I don't really want one enough to splash the cash.

My film bodies are an EOS 55 and 33, with a bunch of decent full frame lenses I didn't get on well with the crop cameras so I ended up getting a 5d2 and then a 6D. I later chopped the 5d2 in against another 6D.
I've got a canon G12 too.
I'm happy to say they all get their days out.

Nikon D5100 with the 18-55mm & 55-200mm lens, as a combo kit, my first DSLR, the disappointment was so big that now rarely use it for photography but as negative film scanning device. And an old Canon PowerShot A710is.

Leica M8. About as close as you can get to a traditional film camera which just happens to have a disgital sensor. Also have Sony A7 and A6000 but those are more computer than camera and no fun except with old lenses and manual control

Back