Which is the best laptop for editing?

Name
sayyed sohaib
Edit My Images
No
Hi, I am an enthusiast and a photographer also likes to play games in my free time. Can anyone suggest me which is the best laptop that I can buy for editing my photos and videos? My budget for buying a laptop is 50,000 Indian rupees.

Mod edit: That's about £580.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's quite an opened ended question -

ignoring brands for the time being you ideally need to be looking at the following specifications as a suggestion of minimum requirements -

quad core CPU
8GB Ram
SSD Hard Drive

If you intend to play games on it then ideally you want one with a dedicated graphics card which will bump up your price significantly.

As you edit video though you may wish to push to at least a 6 core CPU and 16GB Ram. Again though this will squeeze your budget.

Like stupar said, gaming and video editing are both very resource heavy and you will need mid-high end specs to reach usable performance. I'm not sure what the laptop market is like in India but I think you'll find it extremely difficult on a budget £580.

You'd be better off going for something per the specs @stupar listed and focus on photo editing, rather than spreading your budget too thin.

That's quite an opened ended question -

ignoring brands for the time being you ideally need to be looking at the following specifications as a suggestion of minimum requirements -

quad core CPU
8GB Ram
SSD Hard Drive

If you intend to play games on it then ideally you want one with a dedicated graphics card which will bump up your price significantly.

As you edit video though you may wish to push to at least a 6 core CPU and 16GB Ram. Again though this will squeeze your budget.

I would add, most important for photo editing, a decent screen.

Hi, I am an enthusiast and a photographer also likes to play games in my free time. Can anyone suggest me which is the best laptop that I can buy for editing my photos and videos? My budget for buying a laptop is 50,000 Indian rupees.

Any. Laptop. Will. Do. Fine.

Seriously, any modern laptops will do fine, just as long as it got more RAM (4GB or preferably more than 8GB if your budget allows you to try as high as you can), a SSD that had to be higher than 500GB (if possible 1TB or more), and if possible, a graphic card is included rather than the laptop using the motherboard's built-in graphics.

Also as long as you have updated drivers, and not too many programmes open and running at the same time, you would be fine.

In the past, it would matter a lot on what specs your computer have, but nowadays with so much technology being too similar to each other, it hardly matters. In my option, it is the person using the laptop that matters. A rookie with a faster laptop could be slower than a trained touch typist with a slower laptop.

Just any modern laptops will be fine, or if you're buying second hand, just make sure that it's not more than say 3 to 5 years old.

Oh, also don't put it on your lap, even if it is called a laptop, better put them on a flat hard surface like a table. A good laptop with a better airflow would work better than a laptop full of dust and put on a pillow. The hotter the computer gets, the more it struggle with editing and gaming.

Laptops are not suited to editing because components are generally slower than desktops of similar cost, they have thermal management issues and the screens are small making precise editing more difficult.

If you are in India then you should be looking at locally available models, which will be priced differently from those available in Europe. As a minimum specification I would want a quad (not dual) core i5, 16GB RAM, dedicated video chip, 256GB SSD for the OS + software.

Have a look here (might need extra RAM): https://www.gearbest.com/2in1-laptops/pp_009102564700.html?

Last edited:
With respect, I would strongly disagree with the above when it comes to video editing and gaming...specs are very important.

With all due respect. I meant back in the 1980s/1990s, it was very important to make sure you have the right computer specs for the software you want, because every new updated software kind of goes for the next new level of hardware. For example...

You have a PC with an Intel 286 processor and you have Software v1 installed. (Software could be anything. Microsoft Word, CorelDRAW, etc. so let's just call it "Software")

When Software v2 comes out, it request a PC with a 386 processor, so you have to be careful of making sure you must have the right machine specs.
When Software v3 comes out, it request a 486 processor.

But nowadays, it seems that most software would say "Minimum system requirement: Intel 6th Generation" which means from Pentium Pro, Pentium II, Pentium III, onwards, including up to whatever new processor is on the market right now. Or it may say "Intel processor with 64-bit support" which could imply all of the Core models like i3, i5, i7, and i9 etc. Thus nowadays, any machines specs will do fine (as long as you have as much memory and a bigger HDD/SDD as you can afford). All that matters now is your budget, so pick whichever machine you like within your budget, and they will work fine with the software you want. Forget specs, just focus on budget.

But YES, you are correct. Specs are important.

It is true that sometimes in some cases, specs is important specially when it comes to video editing and gaming. You're right, granted an i9 is faster than an i5, but it hardly matters because an i9, i7, i5, and i3, could work with the software if the software says "Minimum system: Intel processor with 64-bit support" so you could pick any one of them depending on your budget. And most important of all: You have to remember that how fast the machine is usually depends on the level of experience the user have. An experienced professional video editor could finish a project on an i5 before a rookie who only enjoy video editing in spare time on an i7. Your experience comes first, specs comes second.

The OP wants a laptop capable of editing photos and videos, while playing games in free time, but never mentions what type of games, for all we know, he means Solitaire or Minecraft and may not mean a hardcore gaming like Call of Duty. The minimum requirements for photo and video editing software are likely to cover just about any laptops on the market today. Specs are a secondary option as long as the OP can pick any laptop on the market that needs to be above the minimum system requirement, apart from making sure that there is more memory and possibly a bigger hard drive, all within his budget. If specs was "very important" then the OP would be forced to a limited range of high end laptops and struggle with the budget and price tags.

Thus: Any laptops on the market will do fine as long as you includes more RAM and a higher HDD/SSD within your budget. Machine specs like i3, i5, i7, etc., hardly makes a difference because they all work with many software, and as long as you are patience with the video editing or gaming taking a while to progress the workflow.

Back