Which long telephoto lens

Name
Allan
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I'm due to got to the Falkland Islands in early January and want to make sure I have all my equipment sorted, so i'm looking to change my long telephoto lens. Currently I have a
Sigma APO DG 150-500mm F/5-6.3 APO HSM DG OS Lens Nikon, but I am tempted by a new lens that offers a bit more reach as I am now using on a full frame body, a Nikon D750.

Could people please let me know their thoughts and experiences on each of the lenses? I realise that the Nikkor doesn't have the reach of the 3rd party lenses, but does it give better image quality and is the contstant apperture a benefit?

I have narrowed my choices of a new lens down to

Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2

Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | C

Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | S

Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 200–500mm f/5.6E ED VR

Could people please let me know their thoughts and experiences on each of the lenses? I realise that the Nikkor doesn't have the reach of the 3rd party lenses, but does it give better image quality and is the contstant apperture a benefit?

Many Thanks

Allan

Do a quick search on the forum, there has been loads of threads covering this question recently.

can't help with the lens sorry, but wrap up warm ;) I was down there in 86 at MPA spent all my time indoors :(

Thanks

phil-b I will do that and hopefully find something helpful.

Hi Kingo I was first down there in 71 at moodybrook long before mpa and the trouble kicked off. Been back a few times since, get some lovely weather in summer bit windy though.

Hi Allan
im in exactly the same frame of mind re which one to buy and in my research so far,taking into account this is on a DX 7200 I'm leaning towards the Nikon. hope you get the right one for you :)

I am a canon user so looked at the sigma 150-600 range and the canon 100-400 mk2. Decided on the the sigma 150-600c as it was a lot less weight than the sport version. And longer reach than canon. So I am pleased with my choice

Hi snake
The Nikon lens looks a good lens but, the reviews I have read say the sigma s and tamron g2 are both sharper and have the extra reach. So still undecided at the moment.

Hi wave
I am on the same lines as you regarding weight and reach. I recall reading a review somewhere that the sigma zoom and focus rings where canon orientated, as opposed to the tamron favouring Nikon zoom and focus rings. Can anyone confirm this to be correct?

i have the nikon 200-500mm brilliant lens with a constant f5.6 i also use the nikon 1.7tc and
it still focuses no problem with my d7200
it build quality is second to none .

I got the Sigma C earlier this year to go with my Nikon D7200. Really pleased with it! Took it too Le Mans for the 24hr and used it just handheld the whole time. Taken various BiF shots and other things since and really pleased with it.

On your question about the zoom and focus ring (if I have what you are asking about right), the zoom ring does turn the opposite way to Nikon lenses for zooming in-out - but haven't really found it an issue so far.

For the price, really pleased!

This may be a stupid question, but is there really that much of a difference to be had between 500 and 600mm, especially given the ability to crop?

Could you save your money for a different type of lens? WA, normal zoom etc.

This may be a stupid question, but is there really that much of a difference to be had between 500 and 600mm, especially given the ability to crop?

Could you save your money for a different type of lens? WA, normal zoom etc.
Yes, there's about 100mm difference, give or take... ;)

In all seriousness, any extra MM helps when your'e using long teles but what realistically you see will vary, even from lens to lens. Some long teles are more prone to focus breathing, so you can actually lose significant focal length just through that alone (you'd be amazed what difference it can make).

Hi holty
I am leaning more towards the nikon after reading a few more reviews. thanks

rackhs
thanks the info on the zoom and focus rings, thought Id read that somewhere.

I already have a nikon 1.4 tc, as this will work with the nikon 200-500 I will gain 200mm I know I will only be able to use centre focus points. Also D750 can be used in DX mode and I think I will then be able to use all focus points. Or would it be possible to use tc and DX mode together?

Thanks to all for your advice, I have decided to go with the Nikon 200-500 after talking to people in camera shops and reading reviews. Ther majority feeling was that the Nikon had better iq than the sigma and tamron. So rightly or wrongly the decision has been made.

Back