Which Nikon fit 85mm?

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
No
Hi all, I have the Nikon 85mm 1.8g and am not satisfied with its performance. It's very soft wide open, suffers from a lot of CA wide open, and has a tendency to mis focus despite being calibrated.

Looking to upgrade, what are my options? Primarily for weddings, and I like to shoot at f2.5 or wider

That's surprised me, have you tried another copy?

The Sigma 85mm f1.4 is the more expensive alternative at £500 grey and £650 UK.

Or there is the Nikon f1.4 but that's the best part of £1000 grey and £1200 UK.

Must be a bad copy, I always found my Nikon 85 f1.8 to be superb and was very disappointed with the lack of difference in the f1.4 when I swapped.

Reactions: ST4
No I haven't tried another copy. To be honest I was surprised considering the rave reviews it gets. My 70-200 2.8 is sharper than this 85 (2.8 or above obviously).

So my best bet is to try another copy then?
Is the sigma one their new art line?

Unless you've got money to throw at a lens I'd certainly try another copy.

This is my copy wide open:

851_zpscxjjjhuc.jpg

I think you've made the right decision there in trying a new one :) How long have you had it? and where did you purchase etc?

Ahhhh okay fair enough :( no recourse to send it back then.

Failing that it'll all come down to budget i think :LOL: For similar money you're looking at the Sigma 1.4 or the 1.4D at £5-600, or for an extra £3-400 you can get the 1.4G second hand. There's the manual focus options but may not be great for weddings!

Must be a bad copy, I always found my Nikon 85 f1.8 to be superb and was very disappointed with the lack of difference in the f1.4 when I swapped.

I also find mine to be superb.

Rumours are that Sigma could announce an ART version of their 85mm at some point, if you can hold on :)

I think there may be a sizeable queue when that lens comes out :LOL: Along with their long awaited 135mm 1.8 :confused:

I have had quite a few Nikon fit 85mm's

Nikon 85mm f/1.8D - Reasonably sharp, bokeh isn't amazing, old screw driven a.f is annoying.
Nikon 85MM f/1.8G - Sharper than the old version, very sharp in fact or my copies where anyway, does suffer quite bad from C.A, very cold analytical lens with little to no character.
Sigma 85mm f/1.4 - Beautiful lens, wonderful bokeh, hard to find a good copy though in terms of a.f accuracy, a little soft in the corners not that it really matters they are wonderfully sharp in the centre.
Nikon 85MM F/1.4D - Much softer than the others wide open, but a lens with a lot of character.
Nikon 85mm f/1.4G - Have had 2 copies of these, first one was never happy with no amount of adjustment could make it perfect in terms of a.f, managed to eventually return for a replacement and it is superb in every way, lots of character, very sharp, stunning bokeh far and away my most used lens.

They are all good though in there own way, so you can't go wrong really.

In terms of value for money the Sigma beats everything else hands down if you get a good copy.

Last edited:
Have you considered the AF 105mm f2.0 DC that and the 135mm f2.0 DC are pin sharp wide open and improve as you stop down, plus you have the defocus control ring,they are probably the best portrait lenses Nikon have made with the exception of the lovely AFS-VR 200mm f2.0

Have you considered the AF 105mm f2.0 DC that and the 135mm f2.0 DC are pin sharp wide open and improve as you stop down, plus you have the defocus control ring,they are probably the best portrait lenses Nikon have made with the exception of the lovely AFS-VR 200mm f2.0

The DC lenses are fantastic. They are looking a little long in the tooth now

long in the tooth but it's all about the end result for me they just ooooooooZ quality in the final image.
Saying that though I have had a number of Nikon AFD 85mm f1.8 lenses that have been simply superb and even though I have the 85mm f1.4 I still regret selling the smaller lighter 1.8.

Glad you got a good copy some of my best images were taken with an 85mm 1.8G and I traded it due to lack of use but will get one again before Christmas

Had one on my D7k lasy year. Sold up to change to m4/3 and then i bought one for my D750 along with a 35 but decided i was better off with a 24-70 so sold up again. Now I'm in a position to add one again so hopefully it will arrive by next weekend. :)

Back