any mac fans could advise i would appreciate
http://www.adverts.ie/watchlist.php

Hi to all my pc has gave up and broke
i want to replace it with an apple system for cheap
i use it for home office stuff manily using microsoft software
if you could look at this link it will show you the ones im chasing
any mac fans could advise i would appreciate
http://www.adverts.ie/watchlist.php

You need to log in to view the list so doubt you'll get many comments on that.

However, if you are running mostly Windows programs I don't see any reason for getting a Mac, especially if you're trying to do it on the cheap. Any particular reason for wanting a Mac?

As above - can't see your list (presume your looking 2nd hand). If you are after an iMac then I'd suggest you set yourself a budget and buy the latest one you can get.

Have you decided what size you want - 21" 27" etc.

Some of the older iMacs came with SuperDrive installed (cd player) - beware these have a habit of failure...

Up to a couple of years ago, you could upgrade the memory yourself on all iMacs I believe, the newer 21" you cannot now.

you really dont want a G5 with a PPC processor. modern software will not be coded to work on it.

Yeah, I have a G5 in the shed that is probably worth more in scrap weight than actual processing power ;)

As Neil said Apple kit doesn't come cheap. Even second hand Apple gear keeps it's value. Have a look around and see what's available. I would suggest anything pre 2010, probably may not be a good idea. Look for quad core i5 as a minimum for a desktop machine.it should be able to run the latest OS. Have a look at Jigsaw http://www.jigsaw24.com/ as they do have a number of used mac of all types available. Remember though the 21.5" iMac can't be upgraded with memory as it's soldered onto the logic board. Early models could but I'm not sure which year this happened. Also MacBook Pro's from 2013 ( I think) also are not memory upgradable for the same reason.

The cheapest 21.5 iMac I found was £790 but it was fairly basic. The "best" I think was just over £1,000. OK you can get possibly better prices off eBay or similar, but this gives you an idea. Plus you are buying from a Mac reseller so it gives you some sort of confidence

If it's for home office stuff mainly using Microsoft software you'll probably be best off with a PC. The Office subscription on a Mac doesn't include One Note, Publisher or Access if they're important to you.

Could always try a hackintosh if you're looking for something that gives you both Windows and Mac options and is cheaper than a genuine Mac but is rather more of a technical setup.

I have to join the other folks who are asking - why a mac?

If budget is a concern then a PC will be a better choice...

and breaks EULA ;) (not even sure if we're allowed to discuss things that break licence agreements here)
Well there is that, but it's not like the information isn't freely available. Mods, apologies and please remove if it breaks the rules.

Thanks fort all the replys
i am a bit wiser
sorry for posting the password (and thanks for deleting)i was panic buying
time to sit back and reflect and ask why

I've recently switched to a Macbook after spouting about about MS for yonks. My Windows PC was quite powerful when I built it,a couple of years ago, i5 8G memory etc etc, but I just got fed up with daft issues such as programme not responding, start up times, (even with selected programmes on seperate partition) etc. It's still there if I ever need it, but after using my new toy I think it will be going, as the MBP to me is just unbelievable, I expected a few problems as most people told me it was completely different to a PC, but personally although far from being a geek, I find it an absolute doddle and a pleasure to use. I might just need a copy of CS5 now, I say might as I've been using Elements 12 and it fills my needs up to now.

Hi again here is the unit i was thinking of its 175.00 euros
is it ok...
Mint condition imac g5

iMac G5/2.0 20-Inch 2.0 GHz PowerPC 970 (G5) processor
512k on-chip level 2 cache
2gb 400 MHz PC3200 DDR SDRAM
250 GB (7200 RPM) Serial ATA hard drive
vertically-mounted slot-loading 8X DVD-R/CD-RW "SuperDrive"
ATI Radeon 9600 graphics with 128 MB of DDR SDRAM (AGP 8X)
built-in stereo speakers
20" TFT Active Matrix LCD (1680x1050)
Connectivity includes Firewire "400" and USB 2.0
AirPort Extreme (802.11g)
Bluetooth 2.0+EDR.

Microsoft office
Adobe Photoshop
Loads of other software

Only used to play youtube music through Bluetooth to speaker in livingroom

is it ok...
Mint condition imac g5

iMac G5/2.0 20-Inch 2.0 GHz PowerPC 970 (G5) processor
512k on-chip level 2 cache
2gb 400 MHz PC3200 DDR SDRAM
250 GB (7200 RPM) Serial ATA hard drive
vertically-mounted slot-loading 8X DVD-R/CD-RW "SuperDrive"
ATI Radeon 9600 graphics with 128 MB of DDR SDRAM (AGP 8X)
built-in stereo speakers
20" TFT Active Matrix LCD (1680x1050)
Connectivity includes Firewire "400" and USB 2.0
AirPort Extreme (802.11g)
Bluetooth 2.0+EDR.

Microsoft office
Adobe Photoshop
Loads of other software

Only used to play youtube music through Bluetooth to speaker in livingroom

you really dont want a G5 with a PPC processor. modern software will not be coded to work on it.

also id question the age and legitness of any preinstalled software.

im not up to date with what the processor do,s or doesn’t do
i assume that its ok if they stuck it in amachine that sold so many units
he has told me that the software is all legit and installed on computer and working fine but hasn’t used it
it was sold to him by the shop on the understanding he might use it said it cost him a right package
i will be using this to design envelopes and headed paper
i like the fact that it doesn’t take up too much space

Apple stopped supporting the power PC some years ago. Being a power PC it wont run any modern software, so everything on it will be 10+years old. Will a 10 year old safari work with modern YouTube. Mind you at the price of €175 (about £140 ) It's not a lot of money.
If it's only for YouTube content I wonder if an inexpensive tablet might not be an answer

is it ok...
Mint condition imac g5

Tells you all you need to know - it's a PowerPC machine. That means it will only run OS X 10.5 (Leopard, which was released in 2007).
It might still be fine for web browsing and email, but there have been no security releases for it since 2012, so it probably isn't.
All PowerPC macs are obsolete, making parts difficult to find.

In a word: avoid.

im not up to date with what the processor do,s or doesn’t do
i assume that its ok if they stuck it in amachine that sold so many units

They did. It was great hardware. Then Apple completely changed all their chips to a totally different kind. "Modern" software absolutely will not run on the old chips. There is almost certainly no way to make it work. Old software should work fine but it can never be upgraded and neither can the O/S.

And if you paid the shipping you could have my MacPro for £140 ;) It's an amazingly powerful machine but I use it to play slideshows and stuff. I'd replace it with a tablet.

Forget the You Tube comments as I didn't get you recent post til after I posted . Again the machine is around 10 years . The G5 imac was launched mid 2004. Another problem may be if you are designing envelopes and headed paper is that there may not be compatible drivers for you printer(s)

I'd also query the "mint" condition. Mint means indistinguishable from new. Now a 10 year old machine will have seen some use.

weren't some of the G5 PPC liquid cooled and prone to leakage too?

(testing my memory there)

Mmmm-hmm. Mine is liquid cooled. The PPC chips ran insanely hot and shoving 2 of them in case and surrounding them with lots of hard drives created some demands on the cooling system. Mine doesn't leak obvs ;)

All my photo work is done on MACs:

MBP 17" in studio and on location, and
in my PP room, this guy (not the black one):

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro3,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache: 12 MB
Memory: 10 GB

hdhero_new.jpg

…all the power I need and the speed too. I don't play, I work.
The four HDD inside are 2T, 2T, 5T and 5T. A Raid Disk Array
of 16T is for BU.

My next Mac will be for the conference room where I planned a
27" iMac.

Last edited:
This is an iMac style machine. You remember those all vivid colours . First style of PC without a separate tower and screen. Don't think they were water cooled. I wonder if some of the "Hackintoshes" that were around at that sort of time were water cooled to speed up the CPU.

All my photo work is done on MACs:

MBP 17" in studio and on location, and
in my PP room, this guy (not the black one):

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro3,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache: 12 MB
Memory: 10 GB

hdhero_new.jpg

…all the power I need and the speed too. I don't play, I work.
The four HDD inside are 2T, 2T, 5T and 5T. A Raid Disk Array
of 16T is for BU.

My next Mac will be for the conference room where I planned a
27" iMac.

Absolutely. But that's an Intel, not a G5. I've owned both and they are beautiful machines.

Some people in this thread are trying to gently suggest to the OP that a G5 might be somewhat unsuitable for a Mac newbie regardless of price.

is it a desk top or lap top
does it have a screen
i won’t be using this for the internet i won’t be installing new soft ware
i am concerned about the printer driver (which i never thought of Thanks for the heads up)
and lastly how much is shipping i have an english address via parcel motel any photos thanks
And if you paid the shipping you could have my MacPro for £140 ;) It's an amazingly powerful machine but I use it to play slideshows and stuff. I'd replace it with a tablet.[/QUOT

How much is this, it would really help to know? It will work fine but will be slow relative to the present and you won't be able to use much new software. You might be able to upgrade the RAM and you would want to but probably can't go much above 6 on that machine. PS CS4 is decent enough but agin is limited as to what we expect today. If you are really strapped for cash and it's cheap enough then maybe, otherwise go to the Apple refurb store and get a 21" iMac. If it's what I think it is it's pretty bulky.

Last edited:
is it a desk top or lap top
does it have a screen
i won’t be using this for the internet i won’t be installing new soft ware
i am concerned about the printer driver (which i never thought of Thanks for the heads up)
and lastly how much is shipping i have an english address via parcel motel any photos thanks

Much as I'd like to take your money, I really don't think that this is the machine for you. It has no screen (MacPros never do) and it weighs over 20 kilos so shipping would be expensive :) I will at some point post it in the classifieds but without wanting to be rude, it would be challenging as a first Mac. At some point, something will break and you won't be able to replace it.

Given your budget I would forget about Mac, the ones you are looking at simply won't cut the mustard, even for the limited things you want to do as the ones in your budget are based on old hardware that isn't supported any more.

It is possible you can make them work but given you are obviously not very experienced at these things it won't be your usual "Mac's just work" experience.

Also, you never answered why you want a Mac.

Last edited:
Some people in this thread are trying to gently suggest to the OP that a G5 might be somewhat unsuitable for a Mac newbie regardless of price.

NONSENSE!

Mac may, like everything "NEW TECHNOLOGY"
be outdated but NEVER OUT RUNNED as these
thing will go for +/- ever!

NONSENSE!

Mac may, like everything "NEW TECHNOLOGY"
be outdated but NEVER OUT RUNNED as these
thing will go for +/- ever!

You're right of course. And to prove it, I'd be happy to swap you my G5 MacPro for your Intel, even though mine has more memory and more processors. The are both immortal MacPros and functionally equivalent.

weren't some of the G5 PPC liquid cooled and prone to leakage too?

(testing my memory there)
You're right, there were liquid cooled G5 machines, usually the top-end processor options. Apart from the late 2005 models, the liquid was very likely to escape.

One additional point I thought of overnight. This model of iMac uses a CRT display. Now we all know these displays deteriorate with use. I wonder how well a 10 year or so display will be after so long. I've used CRT's that are 6 years old and with reasonable use, and they have been OK. However 10 years is a long time . Also these dis[lays can suffer from screen burn if left on with a fixed image. If you decide to purchase this machine I would suggest you have a good look at it first

It seems to come with a 20" TFT Active Matrix LCD (1680x1050) which is a lovely screen. Again it would be useful to know the asking price. I'd be reluctant to pay more than £150 for the lot whatever condition it's in.

Back