Which praktica? Pcl 3 or ltl?

kapybarus

Edit My Images
No
Hello. I want to buy praktica camera but cant decide between plc3 and ltl version. Which one is better and why? Thanks

Any reason why it has to be Praktica to take M42 screw lenses as there are better alternatives e.g. Pentax

Cheap camera and some experiences with it. It would be second for high iso film.

Ok but nearly all old SLR cameras are simple to use.......to answer your question I've only had Praktica cameras MTL3 and TL5b and maybe someone would know the difference between the two cameras you mentioned.

I have the L, MTL3 and BX20, and the BX20 is by far the best of the three, and it's cheap too. Only downside is that it doesn't take huge range of M42 lenses as it is a bayonet fit.

I haven't used the LTL or PLC3 so I can't help there I'm afraid!

If you absolutely have to have a Praktica M42 mount then get the MTL5b, it's cheap (like cheaper than some rolls of film), it's the most modern (1985-1989) so it uses normal LR44 batteries for the meter and will most likely be in working condition compared to older models. They seems to be anywhere from £15-30 on ebay or if you fancy taking a chance £7 + shipping on rocky cameras plus any number of cheap m42 lenses.

Very much "taking a chance"!

Pay a few quid more than £7 and get one that you know is going to work.................a bargain price works out not to be a bargain when it don't work properly and you've paid out for a stuffed roll of film and developing too!
^^^WHS^^^ QFT

The PLC2 was my first slr back in the 1970s and I splashed out the extra on it because it metered at full aperture and closed down automatically, whereas most of the other Prakticas had stopdown metering with a lever. The problem then is that the PLC had its own series of lenses with the electrical contacts to allow open aperture metering, and if you used lenses without these contacts it was actually easier to meter with the simpler cameras that had a lever.

Well I'd swop my TL5b body for two rolls of 120 Ektar or Portra.... each pays their own postage.

The LTL has always appealed to me for purely aesthetic and literary/cinematic reasons..

tumblr_la73idTAVW1qdosfeo1_500.jpg

(from The Unbearable Lightness Of Being)

I've never been able to find an original LTL in black though.

Very much "taking a chance"!

Pay a few quid more than £7 and get one that you know is going to work.................a bargain price works out not to be a bargain when it don't work properly and you've paid out for a stuffed roll of film and developing too!

Yeah i know that's why i said take a chance as it really is when buying the super cheap stuff from him, but it is the absolute cheapest option which is why i mentioned it.

I had to google ^^that^^ only to find it meant nothing really exciting:banghead::D
Kept you busy for 30 seconds though, didn't it? 30 seconds you'll never get back but you now have slightly more knowledge. Feels good eh?

Cheap camera and some experiences with it. It would be second for high iso film.

Poster has not been back to see this thread and listed as junior member,with experience of Praktica,s? Looks like a wind-up to me.

Poster has not been back to see this thread and listed as junior member,with experience of Praktica,s? Looks like a wind-up to me.

:eek: but I always think there are lurkers around and anything we post could have interesting info for someone...well it's had 210 views

You are right.but,that is because you have a junior member asking for advise in F&C and that would generate lots of views from our community,then read the posts and something does not look right to me.

Just an observation.

What does this mean:Cheap camera and some experiences with it. It would be second for high iso film.

Film is Asa is it not

Last edited:
You are right.but,that is because you have a junior member asking for advise in F&C and that would generate lots of views from our community,then read the posts and something does not look right to me.

Just an observation.

What does this mean:Cheap camera and some experiences with it. It would be second for high iso film.

Film is Asa is it not

At a guess.... he has two cameras and the second could be loaded with high ISO B\W film, as high Iso colour film is very expensive.

Brian at a guess,being a Junior member,he has no such thing.If you believe that, what two camera,s does the member have? Also Brian you must know that you cannot obtain ISO FILM.

Well the change over to ISO written on the box of film changed at least 15 years ago...anyway his first camera could be a digi and wants a cheap 2nd camera for film, maybe he would come back and explain it al ;)

Unlikely to be a troll and if it really was trolling that's about the sh-itest bit of trolling I've ever seen. To be honest it does sound more like a junior member to me and I'm prepared to give him/her the benefit of the doubt.

Me too, although I am of no help whatsoever as I have never owned, held or used a Praktica

Me too, although I am of no help whatsoever as I have never owned, held or used a Praktica

You haven't missed anything as today you can get better M42 cameras cheap. Also you can have a modern camera (not all) that would take an adapter to use old screw lenses.....I'd rather have a T70 body for a fiver with a £2 adapter to take most M42 screw lenses than an old Praktica.

I'd rather have a Spotty than a Praktica myself but a Praktica is possibly cheaper.

Unlikely to be a troll and if it really was trolling that's about the sh-itest bit of trolling I've ever seen. To be honest it does sound more like a junior member to me and I'm prepared to give him/her the benefit of the doubt.

also, bear in mind that the availability of cameras (used or other) may be a little different in the Slovakian Republic :)

Which for me could also explain his slightly stilted english - though it's far, far better than my Slovak (y) ...

My favourite m42 camera so far is the metal version Chinon CE memotron does everything in a more modern way like selection for auto and so on...anyway I'm happy till the next make of camera comes along for £3-£4 ;)

Still use my Super TL a lot, nearly 50 years old now. Still a cracking camera.

Still use my Super TL a lot, nearly 50 years old now. Still a cracking camera.

There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know. ;)

There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know. ;)
:tumbleweed: Brian, you crack me up :LOL:

A Donald Rumsfield quote :rolleyes::D but thought it would work for a joke for photography in that every camera is great if you don't know a better camera exists to use.

Last edited:
Flirpin 'eck Brian........i KNOW not wot you're on about:D:D

Yes I guess you are right guys, I must be looking for reds in the bed where there are none.

Flirpin 'eck Brian........i KNOW not wot you're on about:D:D

Actually Asha we all use most of it without putting it into words afterall.... we know what we know, and don't know what we don't know, until we know :D

I often find that I don't know what I didn't know or know that I didn't know it even though I knew it was un-knowable because I can't have known it until after I knew I knew I didn't know it... or summink.

I often find that I don't know what I didn't know or know that I didn't know it even though I knew it was un-knowable because I can't have known it until after I knew I knew I didn't know it... or summink.

Very clever you word-smith you.

:wideyed::thinking::confused::help:

:D

I don't know nuffink. :p

Back