Which scares you the most

Name
mike
Edit My Images
Yes
The virus or a rushed vaccine

A rushed vaccine is more of a worry if this is made mandatory by our new dictatorship. If it is personal choice then I'm not worried about it at all as I won't be having it until i'm comfortable that the benefit outweighs the risk.

I'm not in the slightest bit worried about the virus, other than the supposed remedy is worse than the effects of the virus for most people.

Last edited:
i have always thought if we put our minds and money to curing some stuff we could have years ago.
we seem to just prefer to spend our nations wealth on bullets, bombs silly aricraft cariers and billion pound fighter aircraft, then there is the utterly pointless trident.......

i have always thought if we put our minds and money to curing some stuff we could have years ago.
we seem to just prefer to spend our nations wealth on bullets, bombs silly aricraft cariers and billion pound fighter aircraft, then there is the utterly pointless trident.......

Amen to that!
You just have to look at World military budgets by country, and then realise that Covid-19 deaths in the US are now equal to 77 x 9/11's - 239842 in total.

I wonder just how many people actually do think Trident is of any value. I certainly don't (I'd rather survive under Putin than the planet be nuked), whereas I do think there is value to the UK in having a relatively well-funded conventional peacekeeping/intervention military force such as was needed in Falklands/Sierra Leone/Balkans; along the lines of France, without the nuclear bit.

The virus. Very few people choose whether or not they contract the virus but all too many have and as far as I know, the vaccine won't be compulsory - it'll be easy to choose NOT to have it should you wish.

The virus. Very few people choose whether or not they contract the virus but all too many have and as far as I know, the vaccine won't be compulsory - it'll be easy to choose NOT to have it should you wish.

Good point. The question is really about confidence that a vaccine is safe. I think that the question would have been better asking if we’d rather take a chance that we don’t get Covid-19 or go with a rushed vaccine in which case I’d be for the former because I could take measures,which I already do, to avoid any possibility of contracting it whereas once the vaccine has been administered nothing anyone can do.

Option 3: a ravaged economy.

Option 1 will kill people. Option 2 probably won't kill a lot of people though it may make plenty of them ill and that has health risks. Option 3 has the possibility of killing far more people. Plus, you know, the whole planet.

A year ago we cared desperately about single use plastic. Now we are rushing to use up as much plastic as possible. We constantly and ruthlessly cut benefits because we couldn't afford to pay them - but now are pouring billions into propping up industries which only need propping up because we closed them. As a nation our income is down massively and our expenditure has rocketed.

And that's even before we start looking about the vast sums wasted on corruption.

We're now talking about negative interest rates. It's possible the economy will never recover.

Option 3: a ravaged economy.

Option 1 will kill people. Option 2 probably won't kill a lot of people though it may make plenty of them ill and that has health risks. Option 3 has the possibility of killing far more people. Plus, you know, the whole planet.

A year ago we cared desperately about single use plastic. Now we are rushing to use up as much plastic as possible. We constantly and ruthlessly cut benefits because we couldn't afford to pay them - but now are pouring billions into propping up industries which only need propping up because we closed them. As a nation our income is down massively and our expenditure has rocketed.

And that's even before we start looking about the vast sums wasted on corruption.

We're now talking about negative interest rates. It's possible the economy will never recover.

Exactly this (y) (y)

I don't want to catch the virus but it doesn't scare me - I am mortal and I will die of something but I want to live (not just exist) before I die.

...................Careful Jonathan - you may need to go and indulge in self flagellation for suggesting the state of the Country may be more important:

Last edited:
Not really bothered about either, the first you can't do much about other than be sensible.
If you worried about catching things or being ill more than likely just go crazier

Second holds no fear at all, tried so many different drugs for my bonce over the years.
Had off label use ones for epilepsy, channel blockers, bi polar and who knows what else.
Nearly forgot mega doses of steroids, 60mg of pred a day, madness in a bottle, so no fear with a vaccine.

Last edited:
Neither. What worries me the most is the high rate of stupidity among the populace; and it's growing/spreading faster than any virus.

What we need is an IQ cull, then we would all be a lot safer.

:exit:

I won't be queing for it, i quite enjoy keeping my distance from the filthy public with there BO and gum disease :-/

Don't all the Hollywood zombie apocalypse movies start with a dodgy vaccine?

IIRC they never actually explain what disaster caused the rise of Gilead in The Handmaid's Tale.

Masked women drifting round vacant shops while an armed militia keep the streets empty with a curfew. Rich people holed up in mansions with a close group of people looking after them whilst the poor become essentially slaves because the only work is service. People pulling random bits out of the bible and creating new laws as and when they feel like it. You get the drift.....

I wonder just how many people actually do think Trident is of any value. I certainly don't (I'd rather survive under Putin than the planet be nuked), whereas I do think there is value to the UK in having a relatively well-funded conventional peacekeeping/intervention military force such as was needed in Falklands/Sierra Leone/Balkans; along the lines of France, without the nuclear bit.
What a bloody idiotic statement .tell that to my grandad when the Cossacks lined my grandads brother up cut off head with a sword and played football with it .

Last edited:
IIRC they never actually explain what disaster caused the rise of Gilead in The Handmaid's Tale.

Masked women drifting round vacant shops while an armed militia keep the streets empty with a curfew. Rich people holed up in mansions with a close group of people looking after them whilst the poor become essentially slaves because the only work is service. People pulling random bits out of the bible and creating new laws as and when they feel like it. You get the drift.....
Probably the world Economic Forum, watch out for the guest appearance from Klaus Schwab in the next series!

What a bloody idiotic statement .tell that to my grandad when the Cossacks lined my grandads brother up cut off head with a sword and played football with it .
When Stalin was in charge, and all the time it was the Soviet Unuion, I wanted there to be Polaris (then Trident); but now, I stand by my view. Naturally in the past things were different. I just don't believe we need to play those nuclear games any more at the strategic level. I do however think there is a place for tactical, battlefield, nukes as a way of dealing with potential aggressors.

And a nuke would have prevented that how exactly?

The virus.

Even a rushed vaccine will be thoroughly tested, most of what it contains will have already been in previous vaccines anyway and the only real question will be about how much protection it gives, highly unlikely to be dangerous at all.

In the context of the original question, I'm really undecided. The testing cannot have been as thorough as usual, longer term side effects will be unknown, just modelled. Since (I believe tba) that much of the vaccine design is based on genetic modelling, there surely must be genetic impacts that might only be known following the merging of x and y (or x and x) chromosomes at conception? I'm pretty ignorant in this area so would happily be corrected and reassured.

Neither really. People do worry and disappoint me though and I've just about lost faith in the population of the UK as a whole although I suppose the same is true for much of the western world. I don't know if current trends will continue and if they do what could change them but division, animosity, vindictiveness, cancel culture, and identity wars combined with a lack of empathy and compassion seem to be the traits of the moment. As I said in another thread all this first struck me during the Brexit debacle and C19 seems to be continuing the trends. I never thought I'd have such little faith in either the people or their rulers.

That would be about the time that Churchill was using chemical weapons on the Bolsheviks and Kurds, and was using the Royal Navy to shell Dublin.
It is never a good idea to keep going back in time a hundred years, because no country comes out of it looking good.

I never thought I'd have such little faith in either the people or their rulers.
Welcome to the century of the Wombat, where things are strange and rather difficult to comprehend. :naughty:

Back