Beginner Which WA lens would you choose ?

Edit My Images
Yes
Looking to consolidate my kit and would like a dedicated WA lens. The widest lens I have at the moment is the Nikon 16-85mm but am looking to replace this with a dedicated WA lens. The lenses I have narrowed it down to are:
1. Tokina 12-24mm f4
2. Sigma 10-20mm
3. Nikon 12-24mm
4. Tamron 10-20mm

Which would you choose and why. I would mainly be using for cityscapes,landscapes and groups of people.
Thanks for your help

Of that list, I'd probably opt for the Sigma but would have suggested you put the Tokina 11-16 or 11-20 on the short list too. I've not used the latter but the 11-16 is fantastic. If the 11-20 is the same but with a bit more range, it'll be fantastic.

Assuming (dangerous, I know!) that you're using a Dx body, I'd go for the Sigma - and the older version at that. Allegedly sharper and undoubtedly cheaper on the 2nd hand shelves than the newer fixed aperture version. I know it's slightly slower in terms of maximum aperture than the latest constant (f/3.5) aperture version but that's (IMO) of marginal value when using an ultra wide angle lens.

Assuming (dangerous, I know!) that you're using a Dx body, I'd go for the Sigma - and the older version at that. Allegedly sharper and undoubtedly cheaper on the 2nd hand shelves than the newer fixed aperture version. I know it's slightly slower in terms of maximum aperture than the latest constant (f/3.5) aperture version but that's (IMO) of marginal value when using an ultra wide angle lens.

Although worth noting the benefits of a wide aperture if the OP shoots starry skies. Otherwise, inclined to agree.

Reactions: Nod
For that, I bought a Tamron 14mm f/2.8 to supplement my Sigma 12-24 for use on FF.

Of that list, I'd probably opt for the Sigma but would have suggested you put the Tokina 11-16 or 11-20 on the short list too. I've not used the latter but the 11-16 is fantastic. If the 11-20 is the same but with a bit more range, it'll be fantastic.

The reason I left out the 11-16 was the range was a bit short

Yes you are correct I’m a DX shooter with a D7000

I have used the variable aperture sigma 10-20 and its been a great lens. Very good value on the second hand market too.

Looks like I may start looking at the variable aperture Sigma. If they are relatively cheap it seems like a no brainer. If I’m not happy with it, will not hopefully have cost me too much and can sell it favour of something else

Just picking up on one of your earlier points, UWA lenses for big groups of people is generally a very bad idea as you will get nasty face/body distortions at the edges.

Similar deliberation a couple of years ago, I plumped for the Sigma 8-16... if you gonna go wide, may as well go all the way! Its an annoying trait of UWA's is that once you get some, it's never really enough.

Probably not the wisest choice, it was twice the price of the rest, and rather wobbly at the very wide side... 'tis W--I--D--E though! Great for getting into confined spaces and not chopping things of the edge of the frame.

Out of the more conservative alternatives; the Siggy 10-20 though has to be top-choice for VFM. And probably the older f4.5 rather than later f3.5. If second hand or you can find old-stock. Its reputedly a slightly better lens optically, and cheaper, and when you have such incredibly closest focus and deep DoF anyway from such short lens, the extra stop of aperture doesn't 'really' make that much odds, just a brighter view-finder. Tameron compares very closely in reviews, but seems a slightly more 'budget' offering.

Nikon 12-24, is good, but expensive. Tokina 12-24 is very good budget rival to the Nikon, and apparently very very well regarded for IQ for the money; B-U-T neither go that bit wider, and on a crop-sensor camera, when you get down to these short focal lengths, 1mm does make a big difference to the amount of wide you get. So Siggy 10-20, has to take the cherry on all round points.

But be warned..... Tele's serve up instant impact, cut clutter and concentrate viewers attention, very easily. Go wide? Everything gets compressed, and impact and drama diminish, and they all start to make you have to work an awful lot harder to get what you expect or hope for, and dodge both distortion and 'wired' perspective; Packing so much in the frame, the devil is in the detail, and there's often a LOT of it to have to look at, and its 'small' and distracting day-glo blobs of dog harnesses or crisp-packets and things you don't 'see' in the view-finder during composition, can leap out when you look at the image on a 17" monitor.

Thanks for all the advice. Guess what came across what looks to be an excellent deal on a used Tokina 11-16mm. I know it a short zoom range but at the price bring asked it’s a no brainer. The price is almost too good to be true.....let’s hope this does indeed come to fruition

The Tokina 11-16mm didn't materialise so now it's a choice between Tokina 12-24 and Siggy 10-20. Have posted in the wanted forum let's see if that can come up with either of the above lenses

Looking to consolidate my kit and would like a dedicated WA lens. The widest lens I have at the moment is the Nikon 16-85mm but am looking to replace this with a dedicated WA lens. The lenses I have narrowed it down to are:
1. Tokina 12-24mm f4
2. Sigma 10-20mm
3. Nikon 12-24mm
4. Tamron 10-20mm

Which would you choose and why. I would mainly be using for cityscapes,landscapes and groups of people.
Thanks for your help
Sigma HSM 10-20mm I have owned 3 of these all variable aperture and each one has been pin sharp and no hotspots on I.R. Body I'm seriously thing of getting another in the future as I replaced th last one I had with theTokina 10-17mm fisheye.

Back