"Why a Mechanical Film Camera in a Digital Age?"

I was browsing thru' all the forum and saw "camera clubs" and it had my nearest one, well by looking at the photos on their site, I'd get an odd look turning up with my T70...so that could be an advantage why use digital ;) It would be all boring for me talking about digital compared to the old days where photographers in the club would develop and print their shots and lots to talk about on what they used and equipment etc

Just when I thought my cynicism in this thread had already peaked, you go mention camera clubs! :runaway:

I have absolutely no problem with being disagreed with. That's not what happened. The responses were dismissive of the idea of even discussing it. Like I said, point taken.

Absolutely not, any post on a forum is an invitation to reply with an opinion, its a topic well worthy of a response, it is totally up for discussion.

Hell, I don't even disagree with him, but for me, the medium is the important part, not the gear, I'm as happy shooting a fully automatic technically advanced F6, as an old school Leica, there's no wrong or right its just an opinion.:)

Oh believe me, I know! :D

....but you did miss my subtle point in the thread title about mechanical cameras and digital, in that if you are a film user and like to mix with photographers, camera clubs etc you can feel left out. Anyway to me it seems some of these articles about film cameras seem to be written by newbies to film as I don't get any thrill winding the film on or hearing the shutter go clunk on a solid bit of metal...I guess my problem is:- I've used film cameras all my life and just don't appreciate them. :rolleyes:

I do like the physicality of film, digial its point n shoot really. And its normal for you so you won't really notice it

I do like the physicality of film, digial its point n shoot really. And its normal for you so you won't really notice it

True I don't have a digital mind. But some members just disappear and my guess is once all the excitement of using a mechanical camera is gone they just go back to digital, so would think it has to be more than the camera body and slowing down to take a shot, and something about film with old lenses on full frame that they have to see..... to give the added attraction.

True I don't have a digital mind. But some members just disappear and my guess is once all the excitement of using a mechanical camera is gone they just go back to digital, so would think it has to be more than the camera body and slowing down to take a shot, and something about film with old lenses on full frame that they have to see..... to give the added attraction.

I've gone back to digital mostly because I can't have a darkroom here, so I can't print properly. Really defeats the object of shooting traditionally if I then scan the negs and put them through Liightroom!

I still love using my film cameras though, and am looking at getting something Medium Format soon.

There is always slides and a projector from the bootie ;)
But although a scanner can be a bit of an equalizer, I can still see the difference between Vista and Reala on some subjects...but I suppose an expert on Photoshop or similar can make all film look the same.

I've gone back to digital mostly because I can't have a darkroom here, so I can't print properly.

Are there no public darkrooms near you? I believe that Ilford launched a website with details of darkrooms available for public usage.

Really defeats the object of shooting traditionally if I then scan the negs and put them through Liightroom!

I still love using my film cameras though, and am looking at getting something Medium Format soon.

I don't have the time for any darkroom work myself (darn PhD and sport getting in the way!), so I have to make due with the hybrid workflow, but I definitely think that you can see the benefits of film through it, especially with medium format. I'll also have the option of doing some darkroom work with my negatives in the future, if I should choose to do so.

interest comes and goes, and sometimes you do just want that lazy spammy digital thing

I use to love digital. Although I spent most of my life in the Age of Film, I never progressed beyond snapshot photography (maybe I still haven't). I was an early convert to digital, and upgraded through a series of compacts, bridge, the DSLR cameras, before I discovered the delights of car boot sale film cameras a few years ago, and then the wonder of home developing b/w film.

I recently tried to return to a bit of digital. Spruced up the Sony A200 DSLR, bought it a few accessories. I think that I was reading too much that the gear isn't important, and trying to rise to the challenge that a good photographer uses any camera or technology, in order to get the results.

Thing is, I failed - I still haven't used it much. The DSLR sits on the camera shelf again, gathering fresh dust. I guess that I discovered that the gear and process is important to me. When I need a fast colour digital image, I shall use it, but right at this moment - I'm still not passionate about a return to digital. Just pressing an electronic shutter button, and firing off five hundred binary files, just doesn't scratch my itch anymore - so to speak. Not only that, but I don't like the aesthetics of those shiny happy images.

I prefer the gear, I like the process, and I like the results.

Not only that, but I don't like the aesthetics of those shiny happy images.

I prefer the gear, I like the process, and I like the results.

Yes, I enjoy the Black and White photos thread, but many of the shots just look wrong. Way too sharp and shiny!

They have a synthetic quality to them.

I suppose if synthetic is all you've grown up with, that is your marker to which you aspire and compare all photographic images to.

Back