Why are people Homeless

KIPAX

Seriously Likeable
Name
KIPAX Lancashire UK
Edit My Images
No
Can anyone give me say..three.differenrt reasons why someone would be homeles and not there own fault.. just couldn't be avoided and nothing they could do or can do about it.

Can anyone give me say..three.differenrt reasons why someone would be homeles and not there own fault.. just couldn't be avoided and nothing they could do or can do about it.
Lose their job, get divorced, mental illness. Will those do to start?

Of course not everyone who has any of the above will become homeless, that may be due to a number of reasons, most notably a good support network of family and friends. More people are in danger of homelessness than you might think.
http://england.shelter.org.uk/news/...ple_one_paycheque_away_from_losing_their_home
A significant number of those who are homeless have serious mental health issues.

I'm curious, why do you ask?

I've spent a bit of time volunteering for various homeless charities in the past giving hands on help. From the interactions I have had, I have come across some who have just been dealt a real crap hand. No family to speak of, losing their job for whatever reason, not being able to pay bills/rent and finally losing their home with no one to turn to.

However, I would clarify that these occasions seem to be very few and far between in my experience. There is normally some level of blame, quite often drugs related, family breakdowns are quite often another one. But to not have anyone to turn to chances are it was somewhat their own doing.

Some are just thieving robbing gits, either to pay for a drug habit or sometimes because that's just their way of surviving instead of getting a job. Quite often people are homeless because the friends and family that would normally take them up have simply had enough of their s***.

We have an increasing homeless problem here in Southend. We have a good number of local homeless charities (not enough but more than average) and so surrounding councils and London boroughs are actually giving one way train tickets and one nights accommodation money to their own homeless and effectively dumping their problem here.

I work in Wakefield and often walk round the town centre at lunch to stretch the legs and there are a lot of homeless here, drugs and alcohol problems seem to be rife.

How long have you got?
I did some work with the big issue (always buy a copy - good cause, great read) and local homeless charities.
So many reasons, not just drugs. An argument at home and then pride, a lack of foster care provision after 18

Then it's a stupid downward spiral. No home, and you'll struggle to get a job, fall out the system so no money...

All these answers are about homeless and generalisations ..cant find one single scenario that doesnt include it being someones own fault OR that theres nothing they can do about it themselves... Other than mental illness ..... ...But theres a lot of homeless people..

A lot of it is drugs but also mental illness plays a part. I think also the breakup of families is more prevalent now.

At this risk of being compared to warehouses, the government should take on empty large buildings (office blocks, warehouses) and turn them into some form if giant shelter with medical care, food, councilling and general advice to help get people back on their feet. At least having a shelter and address could help many to get jobs. I don't think it would cost much too, compared to ad hoc costs for taking people to hospital/arrest etc...

I did some work with the big issue (always buy a copy - good cause, great read) and local homeless charities.

I always buy the big issuse AND i always , every time! pay more than asking.... because i am a great believer in people who try and help themselves... they stand in all weathers for hrs on end taking abuse off people.. they could just sit around doing nothign but they put the effort in....Used to be one regular in my town but havent seen for a couple of years.. she got hounded out i think for being foreign :(

A lot of it is drugs but also mental illness plays a part. I think also the breakup of families is more prevalent now.

drugs is there own fault... breakup of families isnt a reason to be homeless on its own.... so here we are again back to mental health problems ?

We have an increasing homeless problem here in Southend. We have a good number of local homeless charities (not enough but more than average) and so surrounding councils and London boroughs are actually giving one way train tickets and one nights accommodation money to their own homeless and effectively dumping their problem here.

I am shocked at this one... I don't know if I should laugh or be sad.. they are getting rid of the homeless problem by giving them a one way ticket to southend? ..

drugs is there own fault... breakup of families isnt a reason to be homeless on its own.... so here we are again back to mental health problems ?
You do realise there is a well established biological perspective to addiction? Considering we are all literally the sum of electrical and chemical interactions, I wonder just exactly how much control you think you have, if those interactions go wrong?

Reactions: BBR
You do realise there is a well established biological perspective to addiction? Considering we are all literally the sum of electrical and chemical interactions, I wonder just exactly how much control you think you have, if those interactions go wrong?

When you say go wrong ? what does that mean ?

When you say go wrong ? what does that mean ?
Lack of/or malfunctioning hormones and neurotransmitters, excessive cortisol produced when under stress. These and other chemicals are the basis of who you are.

Drugs, it can be a slippery slope, start off recreational or to mask other issues and then it's easy to become dependent, it's becomes the main focus.

Breakup of families - tried getting a council house or emergency housing lately? I have a friend who sofa surfs with his two kids because he's still waiting for council accommodation after the house he was in was withdrawn and sold. Wife took the house with the kids and moved another bloke in. Sold the house, moved abroad with the bloke and dumped the kids on his doorstep as they were leaving.

Other times, it's family arguments, especially teenagers, things said, relationships breakdowns. As I said - all sorts.

Some of the big issue sellers are characters. I used to buy the one in Marlborough (outside waitrose - see some of the looks) a coffee and have a chat whilst we drunk it..

Lack of/or malfunctioning hormones and neurotransmitters, excessive cortisol produced when under stress. These and other chemicals are the basis of who you are.

you missed the opportunity:

No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake. A terrible flood. Locus. It wasn't my fault. I swear to god!

:D

honest truth i have no clue what any of the above means.. BUT I have a feeling your explaining why someone cant stop taking drugs.... Thats an acceptable answer.. BUT I am saying there own fault because they started taking them..

I'm not sure if you're angling here to put the blame of homelessness at the feet of the homeless person ?

At it's most basic, your homeless when you loose a roof over your head. Sure, that can be caused by the homeless person themselves. But it can also be caused by outside factors - abusive relationships, poverty, mental illness (including addictions), abandoned as a child, 'the system' failing the person* etc.

*Which I would presume to start to happen more regularly with Universal Credit taking six months from application to payment.

Drugs, it can be a slippery slope, start off recreational or to mask other issues and then it's easy to become dependen.

Sorry no... that is there own fault.. Druga are illegal.. I dont care what the reason is.. you start taking drugs then thats your own stupid fault..

and your genaralising... you havent given me one single scenario that isnt the fault of the person AN/OR that they cant take steps to get out of.

Without mental illness.. just ONE not three then.. just one scenario of someone being homeless thats is not there fault and they cant so anythign about?

jut struggling to understand... so asking :)

I'm not sure if you're angling here to put the blame of homelessness at the feet of the homeless person ?

please dont try to read my mind.. its a simple question that so far hasnt got an answer thats all.. please dont make this about me and make me the bad guy..... its just a question :)

I
At it's most basic, your homeless when you loose a roof over your head. Sure, that can be caused by the homeless person themselves. But it can also be caused by outside factors - abusive relationships, poverty, mental illness (including addictions), abandoned as a child, 'the system' failing the person* etc..

generalising.....?

Sorry no... that is there own fault.. Druga are illegal.. I dont care what the reason is.. you start taking drugs then thats your own stupid fault..
and your genaralising... you havent given me one single scenario that isnt the fault of the person AN/OR that they cant take steps to get out of.
Without mental illness.. just ONE not three then.. just one scenario of someone being homeless thats is not there fault and they cant so anythign about?
jut struggling to understand... so asking :)

Not all drugs are illegal. Plenty of stories of people hooked on pain killers.

And to be honest, not everybody have the same life skills, attributes as some of us. Some do struggle to cope with things that you think they shouldn't

Reactions: Nod
I'm not sure what you're after here ?

To answer your original question

1. Abusive parents/ relationships
2. Mental Illness
3. Poverty

the opposite of what your posting.. I was aking for three different possible reasons (should mabe have written scenrios) as to why someone would be homeless and not there fault... you gave me three reasons that dont automatically mean someone would be homeless

now just loking for one scenario of somoene being homeless that doesnt include metal illness and isnt there fault...

......BUT I am saying there own fault because they started taking them..

No, its an explanation of why they might have become addicted in the first place. There is a well established biological connection to addiction. Increased dopamine, is present in all addiction types, whether that be drugs, alcohol or shopping! Dopamine is related to the reward/motivational pathways in your brain. There is an argument that drug addiction is a motivational issue, not a pleasure one that increased dopamine motivates you to take the drugs or whatever addictive behaviour you present.

Last edited:

which doesnt make you homeless..your still just listing possible attributes to the problem

And to be honest, not everybody have the same life skills, attributes as some of us. Some do struggle to cope with things that you think they shouldn't
Personality does play a role in these issues, but, exactly how much control do you think we have over our personality?

No, its an explanation of why they might have become addicted in the first place. There is a well established biological connection to addiction. Increased dopamine, is present in all addiction types, whether that be drugs, alcohol or shopping! Dopamine is related to the reward/motivational pathways in your brain. There is an argument that drug addiction is a motivational issue, that increased dopamine motivates you to take the drugs or whatever addictive behaviour you present.

So your talkign legal drugs.. so same as above.. doesnt make you homeless ..just one part of a possibel scenario that nobody can give me ? :)

Last edited:
Personality does play a role in these issues, but, exactly how much control do you think we have over our personality?

again.. just one pice of the jigsaw..

I dont think anyone is able to give me an answer.. its all generalisation.... no actual scenario of soemoen being homeless that isnt mentally ill and it isnt there fault?

Kipax - go work with a homeless charity this christmas or any other time. You'll get all the answers you want, because there isn't an easy 'this is the cause'. Everybodys story is different

Kipax - go work with a homeless charity this christmas or any other time. You'll get all the answers you want, because there isn't an easy 'this is the cause'. Everybodys story is different

So dont ask in here.. go ask the homeless.?

I am 100% sure there are valid reasons to be homeless
I am 100% sure nearly all of the homeless didnt choose that life
I am 100% sure if they could get out of it they would

I ahve done my bit in the past for homeles thank you..

i was loking for a valid scenraio of someone being homeless that isn't there own fault and isn't mental ilness... It would seem hard to find such an answer real or made up.. al anyone is doing is generalising...

But please keep in mind... It's just a question.. Nothing more and nothign less :)

Last edited:

It can be any addiction, which is a mental illness. The breakup of families is a factor I believe. Smaller families, more distance and less interaction than in the past (When my mum grew up she must have had at least 15 relatives living within a few miles and certainly 20/30 within 30 miles, whereas I have 2 within 10 miles, and just 4 others in the UK (excluding very distant ones). Families are quick to break up and not stay together, factor in shortage of council housing (a single bloke in his 40s will be at the bottom of the list) and expensive housing in most areas means it would be easy to end up like this. It could reasonably easily be any one of us!

It can be any addiction, which is a mental illness. The breakup of families is a factor I believe. Smaller families, more distance and less interaction than in the past (When my mum grew up she must have had at least 15 relatives living within a few miles and certainly 20/30 within 30 miles, whereas I have 2 within 10 miles, and just 4 others in the UK (excluding very distant ones). Families are quick to break up and not stay together, factor in shortage of council housing (a single bloke in his 40s will be at the bottom of the list) and expensive housing in most areas means it would be easy to end up like this. It could reasonably easily be any one of us!

I understand all that...... but its still generalising and not givign a valid scenario that doesnt include two things.. mental illness or there own fault.... let alone the other part of the question :)

Sorry but theres no point people keep posting general things that might contribute to being homeless.. i already knew those things before i posted.. there pretty much well known things...

Immigrants! There won’t be any homeless after Brexit.
But there will be just as many immigrants after Brexicide as before. If you listened to the the campaign none of the Brexiciders promised fewer immigrants. They advocated control of immigration and an to unfair preference for Europeans against Rest of the World, with India being the chief country cited I believe.

Sorry but theres no point people keep posting general things that might contribute to being homeless.. i already knew those things before i posted.. there pretty much well known things...

I don't think anyone knows what it is exactly you're hoping to be told? You started the thread with a post that is appearing to suggest that people are homeless entirely through their own fault/decisions, unless you can be convinced otherwise.

Various people have already posted numerous reasons which, in combination with individual's own situations, can lead to them becoming homeless but you won't accept those? Nobody can give you a definitive reason for people becoming homeless because there are numerous factors that lead to it.

You've also rejected the most obvious suggestion which is to actually speak to those people that are homeless and find out why;

"So dont ask in here.. go ask the homeless.?"

...erm, yes

Back