Why are people Homeless

Slightly off topic, but I'm guessing that by "homeless" you mean without accommodation.

Frankly, I'd rather live in the woods than some of the nightmare s***holes that pass for acceptable accommodation these days.

But then of course, you have to still have an address if you want a job or to sign on or get treatment etc. etc.

The care system doesn't help.As soon as a person turns 18, they are an adult and able to "look after themselves" so out the door they to go.

Various people have already posted numerous reasons which, in combination with individual's own situations, can lead to them becoming homeless but you won't accept those?

BECAUSE I already know those answers.. I was looking for an actual scenario.. i dont accept them because they dont answer the question..

Nobody can give you a definitive reason for people becoming homeless because there are numerous factors that lead to it.

thats OK a made up one would have done

You've also rejected the most obvious suggestion which is to actually speak to those people that are homeless and find out why;

"So dont ask in here.. go ask the homeless.?"

...erm, yes

so another in a long list of posters who cant answer the question so prefer to generalise and then tell me to go ask alsewhere... cheers for your contribution ..but ... :)

so another in a long list of posters who cant answer the question so prefer to generalise and then tell me to go ask alsewhere... cheers for your contribution ..but ... :)

Thats a bit...erm...silly. There no single reason why every single homeless person is homeless. Surely thats obvious. So, when considering that I'm curious why you started this thread other than to simply to knock the homeless.

How about, nobody can answer the question in the way you would like because there are many different combinations of many different contributing factors, not least of which is the personality type, upbringing, circumstances and health of the individuals concerned. Added to this is the annoyingly complex relationship between the state, the individual, social norms and the social contract. Yet another complicating factor is the wide range of circumstances that may be considered as homeless.

Did I mention that it's complex?

I gave you a genuine one from a homeless guy I spoke to in my first post.

Single bloke with no family to speak got made redundant during the 2008 financial crisis and couldn't find another job. Bills didn't get paid, rent didn't get paid, ended up getting evicted and that the end of the story.

I recall he still wore a suit, all be it very tatty at this pint and still carried his brief case but had no other possessions.

From my experience such faultless victims of circumstance are the minority, but they do unfortunately exist and are the ones I have most sympathy for. It's not easy getting them to talk about it as their pride is all they had left. Apparently this guy still walked to and from his old place of work every morning and evening so he looked like he was on his way to work so that people didn't look down at him.

BECAUSE I already know those answers.. I was looking for an actual scenario.. i dont accept them because they dont answer the question..

So you ask a genuine question and reject genuine responses but would be happy with a made up one? I suggested you go ask elsewhere because, like the majority of posters on here (I assume), I'm not homeless so what else can I give you?

I generalised because there is no specific reason why people become homeless but you really seem to be struggling with that fact.

Ok, switch it around, give me 3 reasons why you have a home and a job.

How about, nobody can answer the question in the way you would like

that would seem to be exactly how it is.. :) turns out nobody is able to.. As I posted earlier i felt sure someone would knoq one story or reason.. but no... so it goes unanswered... wont lose any sleep over it.. was just wondering thats all :)

So you ask a genuine question and reject genuine responses

but not a genuine answer.. you can wrap it up all you want and twist it around all you want.. nobody has answered the question.. generalised yes.. suggested i ask the homeless yes... but i ahvent regected any actual answers to my question because there hasnt been one ... not one! :) and it turns out there probably wont be one.. which kinda answers it doesnt it.. there isnt an answer ?[/QUOTE]

Homeless is a horrible thing. Mental Health, Abuse, Relationship breakdown, to save your own life. Many many reasons you can be homeless.

yup.. we know...knew those things before i posted.. and been said about 20 times already in this thread... we get it :) I wasnt asking that though :)

So what do you conclude from that?

Its impossible to give a scenario of someone being homeless without it being there own fault at some stage or its mental illness....... OR .. there is an answer and your all pulling my leg OR it just cant be found in this thread :)

I gave you a genuine one from a homeless guy I spoke to in my first post..

just re read your post slowly... nope i dont see one.. i see generalisations but not an actual scenario/story or whatever we want to call if of why someone as homeless and not there fault... really i cant see it ? sorry.. but i cant ?

yup.. we know...knew those things before i posted.. and been said about 20 times already in this thread... we get it :) I wasnt asking that though :)

Are you seriously now rejecting an answer direct from someone who’s telling you they’ve suffered from mental health issues and been homeless themselves?

All personal opinion of course...

I don't believe that.

Often a contributing factor.

Unlikely. :)

Quite. So where might it be found?

probably by askign the homeless themselves... but then it would ahve to be an important question and a good reason.. as it is.. it was just a thogught and i asked on here.. so going askign the homeless who may not even appreciate being asked is a stupid idea.... like asking what its like to drive a rolls royce and being told to go buy one....

it was just a question :) wasnt life or death... jeeze take a breather :)

just re read your post slowly... nope i dont see one.. i see generalisations but not an actual scenario/story or whatever we want to call if of why someone as homeless and not there fault... really i cant see it ? sorry.. but i cant ?
Maybe even slower this time?

So first I gave you a general summary of one such scenario. I didn't realise then you wanted such specifics.
From the interactions I have had, I have come across some who have just been dealt a real crap hand. No family to speak of, losing their job for whatever reason, not being able to pay bills/rent and finally losing their home with no one to turn to.

So I then gave you a full account.
I gave you a genuine one from a homeless guy I spoke to in my first post.

Single bloke with no family to speak got made redundant during the 2008 financial crisis and couldn't find another job. Bills didn't get paid, rent didn't get paid, ended up getting evicted and that the end of the story.

I recall he still wore a suit, all be it very tatty at this pint and still carried his brief case but had no other possessions.

From my experience such faultless victims of circumstance are the minority, but they do unfortunately exist and are the ones I have most sympathy for. It's not easy getting them to talk about it as their pride is all they had left. Apparently this guy still walked to and from his old place of work every morning and evening so he looked like he was on his way to work so that people didn't look down at him.

But apparently I still haven't given you anything. I'm starting to think that you are being deliberately obtuse.

But you did NOT know that my life was threatened so I had to make myself homeless.

you said you had mental health issues in post #49 and then said you ahd to make yourself homeless.. as i was looking for somehtign that wasnt mental health then i discounted your post..

I always buy the big issuse AND i always , every time! pay more than asking.... because i am a great believer in people who try and help themselves... they stand in all weathers for hrs on end taking abuse off people.. they could just sit around doing nothign but they put the effort in....Used to be one regular in my town but havent seen for a couple of years.. she got hounded out i think for being foreign :(
We have a Big Issue seller in my home town, her husband picks her up at the end of a long day in his Mercedes.

So dont ask in here.. go ask the homeless.?

Why is that so strange?
You're asking people here who aren't homeless, who can only guess at the reasons, even if they have worked/volunteered in the field.

You want accurate answers? Get out there. Go and ask the homeless. They don't bite.
And whilst you're at it, leave your judgement at home; but take money for a hot drink or sandwich for those you're curious about.

Maybe even slower this time?

hmm

So first I gave you a general summary of one such scenario. I didn't realise then you wanted such specifics.

then perhaps its you who should be reading slower as i must have typed i didnt want generalisations about 20 times!!!!

So I then gave you a full account.

yes but after the one i went to look back at

now i see your story i cant make sense of it.. why didnt he just claim benefits to pay his rent.. no job and the goverment pay your rent for you... everyone gets it...so am not sure how he becomes homeless for not paying rent?

I'm starting to think that you are being deliberately obtuse.

Nope.. just looking for an actual answer and your the first to attempt one.. shame about your last line though.. try and stay civil please :)

Why is that so strange?
You're asking people here who aren't homeless, who can only guess at the reasons, even if they have worked/volunteered in the field.

You want accurate answers? Get out there. Go and ask the homeless. They don't bite.
And whilst you're at it, leave your judgement at home; but take money for a hot drink or sandwich for those you're curious about.

WHAT JUDGEMENT ??????? and be careful how you answer.. dont presume you know me or what i ahve been through...

WHAT JUDGEMENT ??????? and be careful how you answer.. dont presume you know me or what i ahve been through...
TBH, I don't care to.
But your opening question, and subsequent replies clearly indicate that you believe mental health issues are the only "legitimate" reasons for homelessness.
This speaks a great deal more loudly about your own issues than those of the homeless people you can't be arsed to ask.

There are reasonable reasons for being homeless, as noted earlier in this thread, and I don't think many want to live on the streets. Some go down a route of, for want of better words, self destruction and I am not sure how they can get out of their situation.

Digressing a bit, there are some who do not make the best of their circumstances. A few years ago I saw a report on the state of some flats in Lambeth. There was a single mother in a flat that was grim - broken electrical sockets, lots of mould - and the flat had one bedroom. The interviewer asked how long she had lived there. She said, "Five years". She had three children, one was clearly less than school age, another was hardly even a toddler.

Dave

TBH, I don't care to.
But your opening question, and subsequent replies clearly indicate that you believe mental health issues are the only "legitimate" reasons for homelessness.
This speaks a great deal more loudly about your own issues than those of the homeless people you can't be arsed to ask.

Try post #34

Right.. if anyone wants to see post #34

At the end of the day it was a thoguht so i asked... But as people are now insulting me then i wont bother.. think what you like.. but at the end of the day and for the last time.. it was just a thougth so i asked... feelign the need to decide what i am thinking and insult me for ahvign the thoughts you decided i am having? ...well... :(

You're stating that everyone who is homeless is there through their own fault so clearly you're being judgmental?

You're also ignorantly discounting @Dave70D's own actual life experience which he's been willing to share with you because it doesn't fit your own narrow assumption that everyone homeless must have mental health issues or chose to be there so it's their fault?

I think we're all really struggling to understand what the point of your post is, apart from trolling?

Maybe you might consider taking some time to think about how you respond to posts on a forum and how you use language to ask, and react to, questions you pose.

You are clearly an experienced forum user and probably an intelligent bloke, so I'm sure you can work it out.

Or you can just blame everyone else for the way the thread has gone.

Up to you.

Yeah, I've read post 34...again .
My opinion stands.

*Which I would presume to start to happen more regularly with Universal Credit taking six months from application to payment.

Just a minute...
6 weeks not months.

And that’s by design, and most of it makes sense. Most people in work are paid monthly, so universal credit pays monthly. There is financial help available during the wait too.

But if you want to lobby your MP, when IDS launched UC it was designed as the only benefit with no ‘waiting days’ but to save money, they introduced 7 waiting days to align it with older benefits. So you should lobby to have them removed. There’s no good reason for one of those weeks, whilst the other 5 are by design, and like I said, there’s help available and the principle is agreed across the political spectrum and by all the welfare charities.

Back