Why care about what others think, just enjoy what YOU do

And ultimately that is probably why the OP started this thread.

TBH some of us need far less validation than others.

It depends on the person, like Daniel Day-Lewis is arguably the best actor ever lived but it is evident that fame is not what he seeks, he just wants to be the best actor in the role that he is playing, but he does turn up for his Oscars. Whereas there are a million Love Island/Big Brother wannabe who just want their 15min of fame.

When we post a photo, we still want that like, I do too, even though i really dislike the whole system, but I prefer to get a reaction from people from my work than glossed over. It is the validation and attention that we seek.

Of course on the flip side you could get some needing less validation because they are deluded and don’t want to hear that they are far from proficient,

Or they really are just having fun and don't care. I think an awful lot of people in many hobbies, not just photographers, like to own and play with the "toys".

When we post a photo, we still want that like, I do too, even though i really dislike the whole system, but I prefer to get a reaction from people from my work than glossed over. It is the validation and attention that we seek.

See above really, it's nice to get a like or a comment or even some constructive crit but sometimes it doesn't really matter, it was the enoyment of the process that was the objective, a good end result is also pleasing but if making an image was a relaxing and enjoyable experience then the process itself can be the objective.

Or they really are just having fun and don't care. I think an awful lot of people in many hobbies, not just photographers, like to own and play with the "toys".

That is me with my guitar playing, you will never see a video of me play because I suck. Yet I have more and better gear than most professional musicians. I see a lot of bands at weddings and I know my gear, a gear nerd. at the last wedding I saw a band with a Miku Pedal* on the pedalboard and I asked them how do they use that pedal. He has no idea that I know what that pedal does and he presumed I know nothing and started giving me a VERY generic answer. Almost like if someone ask me how I use a Tilt Shift lens and I answer “you click this button and it takes a photo”.

But I suck at guitar playing and don’t seek validation in that aspect. However, I don’t deny that it is nice when someone compliments my purchases.

* This is the pedal....

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aveUEZkcQno

Last edited:
That is me with my guitar playing, you will never see a video of me play because I suck. Yet I have more and better gear than most professional musicians. I see a lot of bands at weddings and I know my gear, a gear nerd. at the last wedding I saw a band with a Miku Pedal* on the pedalboard and I asked them how do they use that pedal. He has no idea that I know what that pedal does and he presumed I know nothing and started giving me a VERY generic answer. Almost like if I ask someone how they plan to use a Tilt Shift lens and I answer “you click this button and it takes a photo”.

But I suck at guitar playing and don’t seek validation in that aspect. However, I don’t deny that it is nice when someone compliments my purchases.

* This is the pedal....

That was brilliant :)

That is me with my guitar playing, you will never see a video of me play because I suck. Yet I have more and better gear than most professional musicians. I see a lot of bands at weddings and I know my gear, a gear nerd. at the last wedding I saw a band with a Miku Pedal* on the pedalboard and I asked them how do they use that pedal. He has no idea that I know what that pedal does and he presumed I know nothing and started giving me a VERY generic answer. Almost like if someone ask me how I use a Tilt Shift lens and I answer “you click this button and it takes a photo”.

* This is the pedal....

Very good, now can you make it sound like a guitar please? :whistle:

I'd much rather have an Analog Man modified Ibanez Tube Screamer and a germanium transistor Fuzz Face, but then again I still like to use film cameras. :)

Last edited:
Back