Why don't car dealers just tell you the price...

Name
sam
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm getting really really frustrated.

I want to buy a new car. I look on dealers websites... All the want to do is tell me how much I can pay a month... I want to know the price of a car, know the finance package details I will not be taking out...

No other product is sold like this... If I went to Currys website, they won't tell me a new tv is £24 a month...

I just think it's one big scam. They use the low monthly fees (with big deposits) to make you think cars are cheaper than they are.

I'm suprised what they do is not illegal.

Incidentally the only company I can find that give you a straight answer is Dacia. However sadly they are french cars, and the budget arm of Renault (who's cars have broken down on me before) which will probably fall to bits.

Seat were very straight forward.

You go through what you want and you get the price

Seat were very straight forward.

You go through what you want and you get the price

I'm not talking manufacture website though. I'm talking the local dealers.

Because they sometimes they have offers on, and I am not going to travel hundreds of miles to buy a car (unless it was something a bit special, which it will not be).

I want something just to get around in. Basically something that will work and that I won't have to worry about.

My Daughter was looking at cars recently and couple there, were after a particular car.

The salesman said that particular car was £200 per month.
The couple said that was way out of their budget, and turned to walk away.

The "sales manager" came out, and offered them a once only deal of,
wait for it, £50 per week, if they " signed up now"

Well, said couple were apparently over the moon and nearly snatched his hand off...

Can you blame the garage(s) for quoting monthly payments,
when people fall for that one?

i like the new duster i used to own the old dacia duster and loved it dacia have come a long way from the old days i was thinking of buying the duster but at the time it wasnt in the uk so got a ix35

i like the new duster i used to own the old dacia duster and loved it dacia have come a long way from the old days i was thinking of buying the duster but at the time it wasnt in the uk so got a ix35

I did consider the Sandero stepway. As I thought it would do what I wanted okish for not too much money. But I said I'd never by another Renault, so I can't do it.

I'm not talking manufacture website though. I'm talking the local dealers.

Because they sometimes they have offers on, and I am not going to travel hundreds of miles to buy a car (unless it was something a bit special, which it will not be).

I want something just to get around in. Basically something that will work and that I won't have to worry about.

If it's local dealers then you won't be travelling hundreds of mile will you. If you can't see the price on their website/ads, and you can't be arsed visiting them phone and ask.

My Daughter was looking at cars recently and couple there, were after a particular car.

The salesman said that particular car was £200 per month.
The couple said that was way out of their budget, and turned to walk away.

The "sales manager" came out, and offered them a once only deal of,
wait for it, £50 per week, if they " signed up now"

Well, said couple were apparently over the moon and nearly snatched his hand off...

Can you blame the garage(s) for quoting monthly payments,
when people fall for that one?

Conversely I've had to walk out before when they wouldn't shut up about finance or other "add ons". I don't need tyre insurance, and if my car gets written off I will deal with it, so stop talking about GAP insurance or other crap.

I hate dealing with cars. I think most salesmen are decent blokes, but I don't like how they operate. I'd rather go in and them tell me that a car was not for me, and recommending me another product. I still don't understand why manufactures still sell cars through dealerships.

Would be much better if we had big supermarkets of new cars, and you could compare different brands of new cars under one roof. Thats how we did it with most other products, so why do cars have to be so special!

If it's local dealers then you won't be travelling hundreds of mile will you. If you can't see the price on their website/ads, and you can't be arsed visiting them phone and ask.

I'm not going to spend a day driving around having to deal with the same questions. I want some basic information (the price of a product), car salesmen NEVER just give you that.

I've been into a number of dealers and never had a problem.

Perhaps it is how you approach them or your appearance that makes them think they can try it on.

I know my mother in law and my parents both got told about paint shield, interior protect etc. and both purchased it yet I've never been offered it and never will buy it.

That and I avoid Ford and Vauxhall dealers

I've been into a number of dealers and never had a problem. Perhaps it is how you approach them or your appearance that makes them think they can try it on. I know my mother in law and my parents both got told about paint shield, interior protect etc. and both purchased it yet I've never been offered it and never will buy it.

I always find it funny when dad went into an Audi showroom in his work overalls and enquired to the price of a motor on display to be told "oh you wouldn't be able to afford that".

As far as I know the sale guy was "moved on" shortly after :LOL:

Look on drive the deal. That sources cars from uk dealers and lists all prices and specs.

Isn't it because they make money out of finance deals, less for cash sales. I think we're all savvy to the power and the smell of money brings which leads to low margins.

A few years age I bought from a Toyota garage and having phoned round, I came up with the lowest price for a 3 door Yaris, D4D. I was passing another Toyota dealer called in and said I'd been quoted £x for a five door Yaris D4D and they agreed to match. Result: I got a very cheap 5 door instead of a cheap 3 door.
Time of the month is important, salesmen have targets to meet and they get bonuses as a consequence, and dealerships get more for their overall performance. These people would sell their grandmother for whatever it takes to meet those targets.

even WeBuyAnyCar try to skirt the issue sometimes....lol....

1383161_395000160623088_1138963341_n.jpg

I'm glad I wasn't drinking coffee!!! That is brilliant.

Also thanks to whoever told me about drivethedeal. I'm going to order through them. Less ********, and what seems like top prices. I've googled it and can only hear good things.

Conversely I've had to walk out before when they wouldn't shut up about finance or other "add ons". I don't need tyre insurance, and if my car gets written off I will deal with it, so stop talking about GAP insurance or other crap.

TBH gap insurance is about the best add on they offer unless your own insurance company offer it if you're buying a car under 3 years old ;)

The one that gets me is this "Supagaurd" or whatever name is given to their snake-oil paint protection.

They sell it like it makes you car bomb proof. Once spent 6-7 hours on a friend's 6 month old car that had paint work that looked older than my 8 year old car.

Superguard is ok in principle if the paintwork is prepared properly and the product is used properly.

Sadly most dealers do it in about 20 minutes.

I had a very similar experience, new exactly what make and model I wanted, went round the "local" garages and asked for there best price. One had to contact there senior manager, one just couldn't get why I would go round other garages to get a better price.

Superguard is ok in principle if the paintwork is prepared properly and the product is used properly.

Sadly most dealers do it in about 20 minutes.

Supaguard does no more in principle than the Collinite wax I use (lasts for up to 6 months) or the Wolf Nano seal I also use, both cost around £25, both offer the same level of protection and I've had the same tin of Collinite wax for 6 years and there's still plenty left.

My point is that the list price for the treatment is about £300, the way it's sold lulls the buyer into a false sense of security and the same level of protection could be had for a lot let money.

As a representative of said industry I feel the need to dive in on a few of these points. I want to be clear that I am not justifying or defending the practices of any individuals, garages/franchises. Just explaining an industry standard. Having worked in the industry for 16years and through my job I work in partnership and visit many main dealers, independents and supermarkets across the UK. Which is why I feel qualified to comment.

Firstly in response to the OP, the reason they advertise monthly payments is because approx 80% of people borrow money from somewhere to fund a car purchase (industry stat not guess). That may be from bank, direct lender or dealer. With the growth in Personal Contract Purchase programs and also manufacturer subsidised interest rates, sometimes people can afford a better car than what they first anticipated. So with this in mind which price is most relevant, vehicle price or monthly payment? If you really want to know the vehicle price then, alongside the monthly price, they have to show the finance example, detailing deposit required, interest rate and vehicle price.

2. New Car Supermarkets? Really! An idea that worked so well for Richard Branson, (Virgin Cars) and Tesco. Manufacturers still use franchised outlets because it gives them more control and protection over their brand, can you imagine what a company like Yes Car Credit or Carcraft would do to the reputation of Aston Martin! Ask yourself, would you give £15000 to someone who didn't know about the product they were selling? People expect salespeople to know things like MPG, spec and in some case towing weights. Imagine the amount of information you would have to store if you were selling every single make, model, specification, engine and gearbox variant.

3. As to Add-ons, since the introduction of the FSA, now FCA and PRA. All dealers have to make customers aware of what insurance products they offer and how they benefit you. These have been put in place to PROTECT their customers and make customers aware that they do not have to accept paying for things like punctures and repairs.

4. Now because the internet and online brokers have not only forced dealer margins down to a point where some cars sold at full price will only have £100-200 profit (of which HMRC take 20%), but also reduced the income to service departments. Greater reliability and longer service intervals have also impacted on this. Garages have had to look for additional income streams. Most dealer groups rely on the income from finance and insurance related products.

5. As in industry regulations are a lot tighter than a lot of others, prices are investigated to make sure that customers are treated fairly. Part of the FCA guidelines is a section entitled "Treating Customers Fairly" which has to be adopted at all levels of the business and dictates that no customer should be treated any differently, whether they have available funds or be buying on finance. It also dictates that the prices charged must represent value for money.

As to which products are good and bad, this is down to the individual to decide, personally I would not be without GAP on any car, because having seen how many people benefit from this I know it works and when compared to your car insurance, the comparative cost is very little.

As I said I am not endorsing the practices of individuals (and I am aware some of it untoward, just look up the C4 series "The Dealership, I wouldn't buy from them!) and explaining that this is not an industry trend. I am also outlining some of the reasons why the industry operates as it does. That's it rant over :)

I'm glad I wasn't drinking coffee!!! That is brilliant. Also thanks to whoever told me about drivethedeal. I'm going to order through them. Less ********, and what seems like top prices. I've googled it and can only hear good things.

Why not get the quote from them and then visit your local dealer and see if they will match it. You will get a better over all service, handover experience, and future ownership. Just think, what if I have a problem? Who would you contact?

Also thanks to whoever told me about drivethedeal. I'm going to order through them.

If you use Drivethedeal bear in mind that you do not have a contract of sale with them and if anything goes wrong you have no rights against them. Your contract of sale with be with the dealer and they can be hundreds of miles away. If anything major goes wrong with the transaction, the vehicle arrives damaged or improperly prepared, fails due to inadequate preparation, or you have any contractual issues over and above the warranty, you will be on you own to deal with them.

As the dealer can be anywhere in the country the vehicle may have to be driven down to you. It can be an old stock model and even a prior specification model. You will still have to transact with the dealer to complete the deal, only you will be doing it remotely. They will still offer GAP and paint protection etc.

Finance deals are not bad. They are mostly based around a PCP model i.e. you only pay for the depreciation and interest charges. The idea being that they keep the monthly payment down and enable you to replace your car for a new car every 2 to 3 years with a minimal uplift in monthly payment. They often have added incentives from manufacturers too. It is like leasing a car but with the flexibility to sell or replace the car with a new one whenever you want and whenever the best offer is available.

You can still compare deal by monthly payment and deposit. It is a very competitive market place and you will be able to drive your own good deal (possibly better as the dealer will not be paying drive the deal their cut).

Last edited:
Unless you have an issue with the car being the wrong spec or a problem that should've been solved in the PDI and therefore need ( I think ) to go back to the supplying dealer, you can go anywhere afterwards for servicing etc

I've been dealing with my local dealer since 2002 and bought 4 new cars from them in that time. As I'm about to order a new car, I went to them again and they refused to offer any discount. So I went to another dealer 15 minutes further away and was offered 11% off straight away.

Shop around - it well worth spending some time popping in and calling them.

I had a very similar experience, new exactly what make and model I wanted, went round the "local" garages and asked for there best price. One had to contact there senior manager, one just couldn't get why I would go round other garages to get a better price.

Put yourself in their shoes, would you give your very best price knowing that the person is not going to buy, what if the manufacturer changed their offer that night, you would incorrectly think that they could offer more. Although as a customer it can be frustrating, think of the salesperson, who relies on sales to buy food, pay bills etc. Their is a term called the "be back bus" on this bus is all the customers that said, I'm going to another couple and then I'll be back. The reason it's a bus is because there just be a bus load of them every day, (in 16years I've never seen it :) ). The skill of the salesperson is how he endears himself and sorry to say evades giving the best price without upsetting you as a customer. The reason he would have to speak to a senior manager is because managers are the only people with the authority to discount. If you were asking for the salespersons best price, it would normally be the screen price, because that would be the best "he" could do without speaking to a manager.

I always find it funny when dad went into an Audi showroom in his work overalls and enquired to the price of a motor on display to be told "oh you wouldn't be able to afford that". As far as I know the sale guy was "moved on" shortly after :LOL:

A big lesson on pre judging :)

I remember a customer that when he bought the car he was in a battered Ford, when he collected he dropped his wife of in his Bentley Flying Spur!

Chris I am sorry I don't see your logic, what you are saying is I shouldn't expect to get the best price possible from a garage?

For most of us buying a car is the second biggest outlay, why the heck shouldn't I try to get the best price I can and if car salesmen can't see that then no wonder people get miffed off.

I would have thought that if the salesman needs my sale to put food on the table then he would be more accommodating for a customer.

I'm not saying gap is worthless. But I'll buy it directly at a fraction of the price if I want it.

And yes I would spend 15k on something if they were not able to tell me all about the car. I'd just find out myself. I'm not even bothered about. Test drive for this car. It just needs to work, have some warrenty and not look like a disabled person is driving it.

The car sales guy is right though. I'm not not judging all dealers trying to earn a living, I'm just complaining as ones around me want to make life difficult.

With regards to going to a dealer with the offer... Can't be bothered. Would have to play the old game with the. Saying why they can't match it and explaining at I should pay more through them. Don't buy the argument that the car might turn up as a wreck and I'll have a big job sorting it out. Infact I'm more covered because of distance selling regs.

Chris I am sorry I don't see your logic, what you are saying is I shouldn't expect to get the best price possible from a garage? For most of us buying a car is the second biggest outlay, why the heck shouldn't I try to get the best price I can and if car salesmen can't see that then no wonder people get miffed off. I would have thought that if the salesman needs my sale to put food on the table then he would be more accommodating for a customer.

I'm not saying you won't get the best price from a garage, however the time when you will get this is when you give them commitment to buy. Ie. if they give you this, you will buy it from them there and then. Not go away think about it (shop round) and ring them back. The quickest way to wind a salesperson up is go in demanding the best possible price. The salesperson can't give you this, he has to ask his manager who will in turn ask what commitment he has from you. If he has none, his manager will send him back with a flea in his ear.
Like I said the skill is how the salesperson handles the enquiry. The pressure from manufacturers is now so high that a garage will undercut someone for £50 even if it loses them money! Just to achieve a target

How can I commit to them if I don't know they are giving me the best price? No different from buying anything else.

For most of us buying a car is the second biggest outlay, why the heck shouldn't I try to get the best price I can and if car salesmen can't see that then no wonder people get miffed off.
Totally agree, the salesperson is there to help you and guide you through this, to make sure you buy a car that not only fits your budget but that you will also feel comfortable driving, which is why test drives are so important. Please appreciate that this takes time.
Now put yourself in his position. He does all this, gives you his "best" price, you go to the next garage who spends 5 minutes with his boss, comes back, presents figures an then undercuts the other garage for £50. If you were the first salesperson, having spent prob 1hr plus with you. How would you feel?
I'm sorry to say, all this to some extent has been brought on buy the consumer. By shopping around so much and putting so little value on quality of service, dealers are simply trying to protect their margins. By all means shop round but give whoever gave you the best experience a final opportunity.

In summary as it is such a large purchase, you want to make sure that not only is the price right (ish) but that the product is 100% right and look at the overall experience and think about the after sales backup, what if there is a problem

I agree that it's a huge outlay, but I've brought several cars now from new, and not once looked at a dealers website.
You need to physically go.
Dealers can be remarkably amenable when they realise they have an actual potential sale on their hands and not just someone out for a look-see.

^^This^^

Munch
You can commit subject to figures, ie. the car is right and if the figures are right you will give then a deposit.
That way the salesperson has a fair chance, if they give you a balance your happy with you will leave a deposit, if you are not you negotiate to a reach an agreement (be prepared to have the manager come out to see you, this isn't a tactic, this is to save you time in the long run. If no agreement is made at least the salesperson and manager have had the best opportunity to get your business and have made a commercial decision not to proceed. Remember look at the whole picture, sometimes the cheapest price isn't the best deal, if you get my drift.

And yes I would spend 15k on something if they were not able to tell me all about the car. I'd just find out myself. I'm not even bothered about. Test drive for this car. It just needs to work, have some warrenty and not look like a disabled person is driving it.

I'm sorry but I couldn't resist, what does that mean?

I'm not saying gap is worthless. But I'll buy it directly at a fraction of the price if I want it. And yes I would spend 15k on something if they were not able to tell me all about the car. I'd just find out myself. I'm not even bothered about. Test drive for this car. It just needs to work, have some warrenty and not look like a disabled person is driving it. The car sales guy is right though. I'm not not judging all dealers trying to earn a living, I'm just complaining as ones around me want to make life difficult. With regards to going to a dealer with the offer... Can't be bothered. Would have to play the old game with the. Saying why they can't match it and explaining at I should pay more through them. Don't buy the argument that the car might turn up as a wreck and I'll have a big job sorting it out. Infact I'm more covered because of distance selling regs.

With regards to GAP If it is the same level of cover then fine, just carefully check the terms.

As to the money. If you wish to spend £15k with somebody who doesn't know about the product, that you can't see, and only contact on the phone. Without thoroughly testing the product. That is your choice.

A lot of consumers aren't as comfortable or as knowledgable as you and prefer the protection a dealer gives. I personally would never have a car delivered to me, I have heard too many stories of damage when taking delivery and the arguments over whose fault it was, I have also seen too many customers change cars and lose money after only months/weeks because they hadn't driven them.

As to DSR, check all small print as these are easily manipulated to protect dealer, a lot of these companies have large legal teams to make sure of this.

With regards to GAP If it is the same level of cover then fine, just carefully check the terms.

As to the money. If you wish to spend £15k with somebody who doesn't know about the product, that you can't see, and only contact on the phone. Without thoroughly testing the product. That is your choice.

A lot of consumers aren't as comfortable or as knowledgable as you and prefer the protection a dealer gives. I personally would never have a car delivered to me, I have heard too many stories of damage when taking delivery and the arguments over whose fault it was, I have also seen too many customers change cars and lose money after only months/weeks because they hadn't driven them.

As to DSR, check all small print as these are easily manipulated to protect dealer, a lot of these companies have large legal teams to make sure of this.

I'm not saying you are wrong as you know more than me about this.

But as with all things in life, people are different. Some people want to feel a camera before ordering and have the options explained to them, so they go to a camera shop and pay a premium, whilst others (like me) read a few reviews and look at comparible spec and then order from the internet for the best price they can get.

Another big issue, which hasn't been covered is opening times. I won't go into the right or wrongs, but I have just got home from work. I rarely have a day off (if ever) and my only free time is in the late evening when most dealers are closed. I therefore am not generally in a position to go around and speak to dealers speculatively, as it would require me to take time off work - meaning I would be losing money and it would be costing me to do this. I know my working hours are not normal (I average over 90 hours a week, excluding commuting), but is is an issue.

I take your point about not wanting to give the best price as others will undercut it. And I suppose there is nothing you can do about this. For me in my position drive the deal and online brokers are a great option. I won't love this type of car and will only be wanting to keep it for three years, driving experience is not important and neither is even particularly liking it.

I'm sorry but I couldn't resist, what does that mean?

Have you ever seen the old disability cars? Well some cars look to me like they are made especially for the visually or mentally impaired.

Have you ever seen the old disability cars? Well some cars look to me like they are made especially for the visually or mentally impaired.

Do you mean the old blue "invalid carriages"? Not seen those around for decades. As they were there for people with physical disabilities, "visually or mentally impaired" is a little harsh don't you think?

I'm not going to spend a day driving around having to deal with the same questions. I want some basic information (the price of a product), car salesmen NEVER just give you that.

Really?

I've just spent the last month looking at new (and nearly new) cars and EVERY dealership I walked in to, for several of the main manufacturers, either had prices clearly displayed in the windscreen or could tell me the price of a particular car pretty much off the top of their head.

Some asked whether I meant finance or cash sale, but they all gave me cash prices when asked :shrug:

Really?

I've just spent the last month looking at new (and nearly new) cars and EVERY dealership I walked in to, for several of the main manufacturers, either had prices clearly displayed in the windscreen or could tell me the price of a particular car pretty much off the top of their head.

Some asked whether I meant finance or cash sale, but they all gave me cash prices when asked :shrug:

Maybe you are luckier than me. I get the usual bs asking me an ever ending list of questions about my life, what cars I've had etc... I know they are doing their job. But I don't want to have a conversation with them. I don't want the patter - I wan't to know what price they would be willing to sell me that car for.

Basically - "How much for that, cash, no finance, no px?", "10 Grand (etc...)". Rather than "How much?" "Let me show you how great it is... We are doing a great deal on pay monthly... When you buy from us you can come back to me personally".

Back