Why is the high street retailer dying?

It's not all about price though. Many retailers are doing it to themselves with their own online presence.

We were looking for a new bed for my son. We had already bought a bed for the spare bedroom which was pretty decent and so we wanted the same one.
Problem is the bed that we previously bought for £499 was now £999 (???), but they had another bed that looked identical, with identical specifications but a slightly different name for £499. The price for delivery online was £39.

As the bed was named slightly differently we wanted to see one in person and check it out so we went down to the retailer in town and were happy that this was essentially exactly the same bed (pretty sure the naming and pricing is so that they can always have one at "half price") and was happy to buy the bed from the store.......until it came to the delivery charge.... £59.

When questioned, we had some b*ll*ks story that for the additional £20 I could pick a delivery date and the bed would be assembled and the packaging taken away. Well a bed can be assembled in 20 seconds and I have refuse removal to collect the packaging so I asked for the cheaper delivery. No can do.

I went home and ordered online. During the ordering process, I was given the option to pick a delivery date. Two drivers delivered the bed, assembled it in the room of my choice and they took the packaging away.

The retailer still got my business, but their store had £500 less to put in their till.

that is certainly the case for Nikon gear. They won't service any grey imports, even if you pay them

https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5409/related/1

Canon have been tightening up their rules for warranty repairs over the last few years too

I read their terms as they may not carry out repairs when paying, "not, won't". The wording doesn't seem definate to me. Also, it makes you wonder why they fixed all the D750 cameras from HK with the flare issue and I am sure some members on here have had there cameras or lenses fixed when paying, although Grey Market.

"What does owning a "Grey Market" Nikon product mean to you?
Nikon European offices cannot provide any technical support or warranty service for Grey Market product, additionally they may not perform any fee-based repair work on Grey Market products. Contact the reseller or importer of your Grey Market products for warranty and service information as well as software updates and downloads."

Last edited:
I went in to Jessops on Oxford street to buy a tripod. I found one that seemed good value for the price. I checked the price with the assistant. Of course when it came to the till the price was +33%. The shopped blamed it on customers moving the tripods around, but there was no label showing the price they wanted. Classic bait and switch. When I got home I found the same tripod on eBay and bought it without hassle, of course for less. I didn't even have to carry it home.

That's why the high street is dying.

Back