Why throw away the Box!!

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Been buying second hand lenses for a while now and it still amazes me why anyone would throw away the box and manual knowing one day you will probably sell it and everyone knows a boxed item sells better.:thinking:

sorry rant over :LOL:

Been buying second hand lenses for a while now and it still amazes me why anyone would throw away the box and manual knowing one day you will probably sell it and everyone knows a boxed item sells better.:thinking:

Well said that man!!!!

Check out eBay...

Searching something else, I came across manual, disc and box for my D300s and - Voila! :D

LOL.. maybe that's why... they flog the box for £10 when they get new gear :)

Do you really need a manual for a lens?

I do have mine, but they are still in the box along with the bag/pouch thing some lenses come with

Some folk simply don't have the required space to store their boxes.
Some people simply don't want the clutter.

I usually throw the boxes away immediately as I don't buy things with the intention of selling them again.

Steve.

Life's too short to save boxes.

Do you really need a manual for a lens?

I do have mine, but they are still in the box along with the bag/pouch thing some lenses come with

ok maybe not manual so much but personal i would rather buy a lens in the original box as you probably gathered from my first post :)

I must admit, I prefer the box and manual just for nostalgia! Especially when buying an L glass, it just adds that finishing touch!

I've thrown mine away for a variety of reasons (in no particular order):

* I don't plan on selling any of my kit.
* I have moved three times in the past four years, so my personal possessions are reasonably streamlined!
* I don't like clutter and have limited storage space.

I've thrown mine away for a variety of reasons (in no particular order):

* I don't plan on selling any of my kit.
* I have moved three times in the past four years, so my personal possessions are reasonably streamlined!
* I don't like clutter and have limited storage space.

... and you have a life :)

I buy and sell so many things the box is usually still in the process of being stored before I need it to send it off when sold.

I save boxes for everything.... Anything electrical anyway. I suppose I always have in the back of my head that I will sell it one day when I upgrade

Makes it easier to box up when selling/upgrading :) lol

I keep mine which at the same time makes me feel sick of the clutter they make

There is the silly point about reselling, and sadly I can't change it alone. It is supposed to somehow add confidence about the merchandise :wacky:. It probably just says that it wasn't stolen, unless the whole house or warehouse got raided

I keep the boxes for things, my wife dislikes me doing so however I've managed to secure an area of the loft. She'd love to take them to the recycling centre (when did the local coup become so posh) but knows I want them kept. For now.

It does make things easier to sell.

If your buying used then generally you'll be paying less for an iteam without a box anyway though, argeubley a good situation since you don't then need to look after the box yourself to protect an investment.

manual no but don't give a crap about a bit of cardboard. my sons disc brakes never came in a box and it doesn't affect their use. never understood the whole box thing.

I would actively encourage people to throw away boxes simply because it reduces second hand prices allowing those of us not so bothered about boxes to pick up a bargain!

My boxes are all up in the loft, complete with all the discs and manuals for the lenses. The body boxes are in the same place with everything that comes with the body apart from charger and battery. I've got 3 new straps with all the cables, manuals and all the other unopened and unused stuff, that's why I keep the boxes. I've sold 4 bodies and a few lenses and having the box saves me from having to look for an empty box when I do sell the gear.

Do you sell many things?

If you sell as many things as I do then you may understand the box thing...

yes I had sell all my camera gear when I lost my job - camera had box but that was it. A box means nothing to me, I keep the lens in a camera bag or on my camera.

a couple of items we keep the box for because we store the items in there or we keep the box incase we have to send it back after we bought the item. Never keep the box for second hand value. If you only have things for a very short length of time them keeping the box for ease of packing when selling on makes sense.

What I meant by selling many things was at least 1 item per week, sometimes 2 or 3.
In that case the second hand value is key.

If I buy something that I won't be selling (lawn mower, coffee machine etc,.) then the box goes in the recycling.

i keep mine, ive gone through a 550D, 60D now 6D, countless lenses and now iv gone FF iv had to get rid of all my EF-s lenses for my EF lenses.

it has always been a help having the boxes, better for transporting in post, adds value etc

I keep all my boxes.
But I do make sure subsequent purchases have a bigger box so all previous ones go inside, Russian doll style.
This has a major advantage in that the wife doesn't notice the gradual expansion of the single Nikon box on the shelf ;)

i only keep the boxes for my camera gear and laptops, when i moved house and cleared out the loft i had boxes for items i had got rid of years ago :LOL:

A subject close to my heart! I sell a lot of things, and hence keep boxes for shipping of items. I dont however keep boxes to increase resale values of specific items. For instance, the box my camera came in was used to post car parts. If it wasnt for the fact i post a lot of items, maybe 20 per week, I'd take great pleasure in binning boxes, i cant stand the clutter.

If I was to buy used photography equipment, I really couldnt care less whether it came in its original box to be honest. I wouldn't be willing to pay any more if it did

Back