Will this be the tipping point.L europeas My fear

Name
Stu
Edit My Images
Yes
Folks whom have been here a while will know I adore this species I have spent a while with 'em trying to steal a soul.it fascinates me that what is amongst the fastest of UK (hmm probably the fastest) land mammal in bliighty will come to see us and spend time with us, if we as image makers play our cards right. those cards are NOT full of mysticism like the brown hare is in our folklore....... it's just low and slow no hides just sloath and time.

This is beguiling to me it stands the hairs on me neck up. If ya can do that with a hare then one can take that to a deer or a boar or a.................. ;)

I'm conflicted......see i love 'em and folks country gents shoot 'em and as hard as that is for me I've always felt those estates will provide a dense population a strong hold,which one day might be the founding blood , if ya like, for new populations. As long as the landowner values 'em

Look brown hare is not native we should only have one largomorph here "largo"= wabbit family and that is L timidus IE .mountain hare. We shouldn't have brown hares or rabbits,but we do and especially europeas is steeped in our folklore.they have been here a while it's fair to say.

Loss of habitat etc ( hmm ain't that the way of all of our wiildlife the Uk is after all one of the most denuded ecosystems on the planet) has knocked numbers back by 80% and countiing so those shoots those places where brown hare do well have long seemed to me to be of huge importance. Those spots are so often cared for by a game keeper and a landowner whom shoots...........

I make hare piccies largely at one place..sure in this case although it's a shoot,they don't shoot hares,but sure as houses the game side,the niche habitats the predator control allows hares to thrive in numbers one rarely sees today.

Soz this is long winded i'm getting there, I'm trying to outline some of the stuff that clouds my point of view.

Hare coursing used to be a guy and a dog a pot hunter. those days are largely gone................now it's a whole other......................modern tech has led to interweb gambling ( huge money) 4 wheel drives giiviing access............... hare coursing the money the carnage has become a whole epic other.

Landowners have their land fences and worse staff trashed...... and this is where my big fear of several years comes into play and we lead back to my title.

My fear is simple.it's this................................ will there come a time when a landowner simply faces so much grief that he simple says we can't have hares here any more !!

So they are simply shot on sight.

See ,if, in some way they,the hares are valued, then there is always hope that populations might recover, yeah sure I get the harsh side " valued for shooting" won't sit well with many here I of all understand that, by the same token I guess I'm pragmatic they are still here,to seed new populations...I'd rather that than nowt.

The reason for this post now...well it's simple really.we got out this weekend and I met a mate..he's forgotten more about birds than I'll ever know or learn magical guy to talk too....................and point bank he told me the words I never wanted to hear

"The trouble is stu it's become so bad they are now shoot on sight ,it's just too much hassle to have hares on the land"

DREAD.....yes I know there is habitat loss I know there is possibly a form of hare myximotosis (sp?) it's that big piccy that haunts me.

See to some extent habitat loss can be rectified there is hope( sure we are on a rocky cliff face across the board with nature look at the recent WWF figures) but there is hope..........................to some extent immunity from disease can be found.there is hope always hope

But if the dense populations go IE that foundation stock with just about a wide enough gene pool to survive said threats

where does that leave me fuffy big eared mates?

Hard writing this one,few will really understand what this species mean to me,lol I guess I should be able to say look back through me flickr and the images will show ya but they won't an inckling maybe but not the truth

Soz so so long ,me humbles I don't know the short way to write stuff always got to waffle hey ho

take care

stu

Sadly I believe in areas of high hare density and high courser density landowners have been and are still getting rid of the hares to protect their land, family and property. Who can blame them? I don't know why it's so often referred to as 'illegal hare coursing' since all hare coursing is now illegal. It's big business and although police forces are more proactive it's had to get to the perpetrators before the threats and damage occur.
I think the disease is a mutated form of RHD, not myxy, but don't quote me on that.
All we can hope is that they do hang on in small numbers. Smaller populations are likely safer from coursers and disease, but more at risk from 4 legged predators (probably why they and many other things do well on shoots). As you say, non native like rabbits but they are rather special.

I fear it's already happening here, late winter/early spring I spent a lot of time with groups of Hare and Leverets, around May I noticed a car in a field, a guy was shooting, at first I thought Pigeons, as the crop was being eatten, but I never saw a thing fall from the sky.
After that I saw fewer and fewer Hare, in the last few months I've seen 1 Hare! :(

Hare coursing is a big problem here, evidence is clear some mornings :(

I'm hoping it was just a 'number control' exercise but I fear it's more :(

According to this page it does have some level of protection but just how much is not clear :thinking:

My understanding is the protection is only against the 'illegal coursing/blood sport', they are officially classified as game, so shoots are legal.

Ah! so the risk of fragmentation of populations is likely to get worse and potentially suppress the numbers harshly :(

Sadly I believe in areas of high hare density and high courser density landowners have been and are still getting rid of the hares to protect their land, family and property. Who can blame them? I don't know why it's so often referred to as 'illegal hare coursing' since all hare coursing is now illegal. It's big business and although police forces are more proactive it's had to get to the perpetrators before the threats and damage occur.
I think the disease is a mutated form of RHD, not myxy, but don't quote me on that.
All we can hope is that they do hang on in small numbers. Smaller populations are likely safer from coursers and disease, but more at risk from 4 legged predators (probably why they and many other things do well on shoots). As you say, non native like rabbits but they are rather special.
Think it is rhd Jan my humbles.... will always stand corrected (y) ...and no I don't blame them.it's that off shoot that i've long feared.Ie not having those dense pops to re seed surrounding areas.

I also believe like you have mused that fox control as practiced by game keepers shooters can have a huge effect on hare numbers. Predators are individuals.they have a base skillset which they hone and learn and adapt.....not every fox will learn it can predate young leverets with incredible efficiency......but when one does it's influence on it's surrounding population can be heavy. These thiings aren't a given Jan but there are percentages at play..which lead me to believe that fox control.to a lesser extent mustelid, can have a marked effect on hare numbers.

I'd summise game crops localized habitat( woodland management/set aside/headland management IE management for game phessy /partridge also play into the hands of brown hare enabling their numbers to thrive..................................................become seriously dense

Laurence with all species there is a tipping point before a population simply collapses.as far as I know hares are ground game and as such have no close season, sure it might be frowned upon to shoot in a breeding season, ( Gav)but that becomes somewhat superfluous when stakes are so so high.......IE raised inextricably by nowadays modern coursing.. Gav I don't think you saw number control, but sadly something other

Ah! so the risk of fragmentation of populations is likely to get worse and potentially suppress the numbers harshly :(

so yes this your post above are my fear summed in fewer words.

Guys there is a lot more at a tipping point than a big eared wabbit that shouldn't be in my ickle island.........Ii'm stunned no body here has commented on the last episode of frozen planet or the latest figures from WWF.way of the world I guess.

I guess it just hurts when it's so so close to home a species one focuses on as a tog.

I'll leave ya with one image that is poignant to me,a hare close to a road edge in the corner of a field as the first squall from the beast from the east hit a couple or 3 years back

_70F5852 small hare in squall by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

Poignant why?.....well 2 or 3 days later in the next field ( literally over the wall ten yards to the right of this frame) 9 hares lay dead they simply got stuck in the snow and the dogs longer legs didn't.the coursers left them there.

Some here have never seen a hare to see 9 in one place maybe i've seen a couple of times..
will that ever happen again?

:(

Thanks for the replies all

take care

stu

Back