Windows 10 version 1803 looks like a big download & update

Edit My Images
No
Hi all

I gather this started rolling out in mid April but my PC is downloading it now.................the initial WUP info appeared to be the disk thrashing associated with the various system resources "working away". The download is nos taking place slowly by comparison only @ 5% after 10 mins!

Anyone else had this update already and any observations in regard to checking and amending the likes of the privacy or other settings???

TIA :)

Mine did it on Sunday, loads of stuff to do with connecting all devices I don't want and had to deny them access to an awful lot when it was finished.

Mine did it on Sunday, loads of stuff to do with connecting all devices I don't want and had to deny them access to an awful lot when it was finished.

:agree:
A lot of pointless stuff and a lot of "no you cant have access to that"

:agree:
A lot of pointless stuff and a lot of "no you cant have access to that"

Oh....hmmmm!

Desktop user here on W10 Pro if that will end up making a difference but will have to see what any dialogue boxes popping up ask me to approve.............or will I have to drill down to examine and deny as appropriate???

yep had all our stuff in the house do itself over the last few days, as above a few opt outs to deny at the end but hey ho.

The download is lick sucking a McD milkshake (as I recall it a very long time ago) through a straw....................at 34% now, a many GB file it seems :(

It also creates a virtual disk which shows up as nearly full, with the result that you get warning pop ups although they are easy to disable.
In my case it created a 400mb "H" dive which in explorer contains no files.

Right..............................it got I think to approx 61% then failed with code 0x80240034

I will try it again in a little while!

Your not missing much.’it seems to stuff more than fixes so I wouldn’t worry about it.

Hmm! likely wait(?) for WUP to sort itself out and re-try on its own in due course???

FWIW

It resumed where it left after I did a restart..............................currently up to 91% :popcorn: :runaway: :tumbleweed:

I’d wait yes as you can end up with multiple security patches etc not installing and causing issues. Microsoft at their best.

As mentioned above, WUP resumes after I did a restart (to refresh the system?)........................now at 98% !

Edit ~ now at 100% but still says "downloading" so waiting for WUP to confirm 'needs a restart now to complete installation.....'

Edit2 ~ 30mins on and still saying 100% downloading!

Edit3 ~ well FWIW it did complete its download is currently 'installing' - 64% and climbing :LOL:

Last edited:
Ran it for about 2 days before jumping up to the 17666 preview... All good

The install takes a LONG time on a slower machine - as in a couple of hours if you're running something that was food grade when W7 was still being sold.

The install takes a LONG time on a slower machine - as in a couple of hours if you're running something that was food grade when W7 was still being sold.

Though old, it is i5 Quad Core with 16GB DDR RAM :)

I'd suggest that the disk speed would most likely have more of an effect on installation time. There's a lot of i/o being processed.

Download time though that's just going to be Internet related.

Well all updated.

So far nothing asking to connect or do anything that I might see as unwanted or undesirable???

Any clues as to where or what look for that might be best disabled?

TIA

Edit ~ I have gone through all the Privacy settings sections turning off leaving minimal 'on' as I saw fit.

There were no dialogue boxes of any sort asking for my intervention re: permissions or access to devices etc.

What I did notice was that in the WUP app panel all update history has gone.......I surmise this 1803 update is a root & branch one hence older security fixes & updates for the OS or Windows Office 2007 are no longer relevant??? Plus an old minor hardware monitor program I had did not pass the "Compatibly Tester" and was removed! NB new terms are mentioned in the popout right-hand pane plus Windows Home Group being removed...this latter I do not recall making use of at all. So must/will read the new terms when I can!

Last edited:
Well all updated.

So far nothing asking to connect or do anything that I might see as unwanted or undesirable???

Any clues as to where or what look for that might be best disabled?

TIA

Edit ~ I have gone through all the Privacy settings sections turning off leaving minimal 'on' as I saw fit.

There were no dialogue boxes of any sort asking for my intervention re: permissions or access to devices etc.

What I did notice was that in the WUP app panel all update history has gone.......I surmise this 1803 update is a root & branch one hence older security fixes & updates for the OS or Windows Office 2007 are no longer relevant??? Plus an old minor hardware monitor program I had did not pass the "Compatibly Tester" and was removed! NB new terms are mentioned in the popout right-hand pane plus Windows Home Group being removed...this latter I do not recall making use of at all. So must/will read the new terms when I can!

All the dialogue I got re settings was right after installation and a fresh reboot. I couldn't get into windows until I had gone through the various motions.

All the dialogue I got re settings was right after installation and a fresh reboot. I couldn't get into windows until I had gone through the various motions.

Hmmmm! not this time for me though I think I recall it happened with v1703 Creators Edition update. But as mentioned FWIW I am using W10 Pro in case that initial install dialogue is different between Home and Pro???

It also creates a virtual disk which shows up as nearly full, with the result that you get warning pop ups although they are easy to disable.
In my case it created a 400mb "H" dive which in explorer contains no files.
Can you tell me how to disable these messages please as they are incredibly annoying.

The message popped 3 times in 15 minutes the last time I used my PC. [emoji36]

Can you tell me how to disable these messages please as they are incredibly annoying.

The message popped 3 times in 15 minutes the last time I used my PC. [emoji36]

just leave your pc on and let it do the upgrade and stop fussing with it.
you can check the progress of the update in control panel, updates

just leave your pc on and let it do the upgrade and stop fussing with it.
you can check the progress of the update in control panel, updates
I did the upgrade on the first day MS released it with no issues.

What I was trying to get was how to stop the messages about the 400MB virtual drive it created being full to stop as Troutfisher posted about.

Hmmmm! not this time for me though I think I recall it happened with v1703 Creators Edition update. But as mentioned FWIW I am using W10 Pro in case that initial install dialogue is different between Home and Pro???
I'm on 10 Pro version 1803 so in theory you should have been presented with the same start up options.
No idea why you didn't though :D

They have also removed the Homegroup now from the latest update of Win 10, which is a pain to be honest.

It when fine on my i3 laptop but on the i5 desktop is screwed up my user profile, no matter what I tried I couldn't fix it.
Luckily I had a recent image I created with Arconis so I put that back on and ran the update again and it went ok.
I've read reports that remote desktop goes tits up if you try logging into another computer running Win 10 that hasn't had the latest update installed, that's going to really annoy a lot of system admins.
I'm currently doing the update on a friends desktop, the previous update caused it to reboot and when you shut the PC down, when you wanted to reboot it only gave the option to install the update as well not just a reboot.
That was annoying because I wanted to create an image before installing the latest update.
I wish MS would roll out incremental updates rather than a huge one as it make it easier to troubleshoot when things go wrong.
I still prefer Win 7 over 8/8.1/10 as the GUI looks fugly imho.

Last edited:
There is literally no good reason to use homegroups. Don't know whether they ever fixed it but it actually used a lot of system resource.

MS only implimented it to make creating a network easier for non techie people and all they did was introduce a pain in the a***.
My other niggle with MS is the contsant niggling that the firewall is off.
I don't want to use it, that's why I turned it off in the first place as my routers built in firwall does a very good job without using up more system resources.

I did the upgrade on the first day MS released it with no issues.

What I was trying to get was how to stop the messages about the 400MB virtual drive it created being full to stop as Troutfisher posted about.
From memory I right clicked on the warning and got the option to turn it off.

My older desktop did it but not the new one yet.
The sound got changed to 'headphones' so 'wasn't working'.
Otherwise not much immediately obvious, also pleased they did away with homegroup nonsense.
Trouble is I once did set one up to use a shared printer and it has carried on making suggestions about it, like a ghost homegroup that cannot be forgotten - until now.

It suggested backing up the whole computer to googledrive which would be fun on 0.4mb up

Last edited:
So it nags that it's got a drive that's filling up because it's assigned a drive letter. To fix open a cod window and type
Diskpart
List volume
Select volume

Find the affected volume number (mine was g:) volume 2

Select the affected volume, in my case volume 2 by typing
Select volume 2

Remove letter = (drive letter of your volume-mine was g)
Exit

Just received a new Dell XPS, so used the Windows ISO tool to install a completely fresh windows 10 1803 image - no bloatware and a much purer experience it seems, just had to reinstall the graphics driver and dell update app and all seems to be working well so far. Took about an hour in total to download the ISO tool onto a USB and then reinstall everything.

Last edited:
Had the call to update to 1803 so clicked ok and off it whirred.
Took no time at all and re-booted to tell me that the install couldn't be completed.
Went to Settings > Windows Update and I see a green tick and all up to date.
Checked winver and the machine is running version 1709 ... interesting!

Mine completed Tuesday night on this XPS, and all was well. Then last night the Dell update program wanted to install a bunch of new drivers & a bios update - this has made the whole machine much snappier, and lightroom much more pleasant to use.

Well mine eventually downloaded and installed but then gave a black screen and stalled to unusable! Currently restoring from an Acronis backup ... what a pain :(

Back