Windows 7 has landed!..

Name
King
Edit My Images
Yes
Copies for both my desktop and laptop arrived this morning by courier from Amazon. Perhaps they don't trust Royal Mail!

Didn't think release was until 22nd.

Anyone else ordered it?

Yup, dispatched today from Amazon. Looking at some of the stuff on the Web about it I am beginning to wonder what all the fuss is about.

Copies for both my desktop and laptop arrived this morning by courier from Amazon. Perhaps they don't trust Royal Mail!

They've ditched Royal Mail for all their deliveries and are using another company now. That'll teach them to strike.

have the RC on my personal laptop, and reformatted my work laptop and installed 7 from our MVLS site.

prefer it to Vista :]

I've had it for a couple of months now (microsoft academic alliance is amazing, cheers for the free early hookup :p) and it's fantastic.

MORE stable than XP sp3 even, which is really saying something, great UI and graphics, performs dead fast - MS knew that 7 had to be damn good, and they've released a truly great OS, more mature and refined than OS X, more stable than anything previously released by MS, better with low spec pcs, and without all of the massive mistakes that they made with vista.

probably not worth it from vista imho atm (if you're running 64bit) however the hop from xp i reckon is probably more worth it again if you're not running 64 bit

generally though it's not revolutionary and tests seem to show it's not exceptionally faster (in some cases slower than xp) but if you like the new gui then maybe it's worth a bash?

((i've bought it btw))

Be interested to hear from anyone upgrading from XP - on the same machine - how easy is it to do - risky - or straightforward? Also how is it better - and is it worth it? Thanks.

I have it and I love it! The 64bit version is very fast and much more stable than XP and Vista.

Gone from Vista to 7 and it seems better to be honest, runs easier that Vista with less resources running to slow it down

if you know your way around Vista it will be dead easy to get used to

Going to Upgrade my work machine to 7 early next week aswell

Been using WINDOWS 7 since release on MSDN several months ago. Stable, fast, reliable. It's better than VISTA and more user friendly than XP. Massive thumbs up from me. I will download the retail version later as I suspect this copy will expire soon.

Gary.

i get a free upgrade as i bought a laptop recently, Win tbh.

I got it from MSDN for free too :). IMO, its much better than XP and Vista.

Going to fully upgrade it at the weekend though. (Currently have a dual boot with 7 and Vista).

I am just curious to know what people mean its more stable than XP, or it is quicker, quicker at doing what? :shrug:

Been using WINDOWS 7 since release on MSDN several months ago. Stable, fast, reliable. It's better than VISTA and more user friendly than XP. Massive thumbs up from me. I will download the retail version later as I suspect this copy will expire soon.

Gary.

march the release candidate starts its regular reboots if i remember rightly.

I am just curious to know what people mean its more stable than XP, or it is quicker, quicker at doing what? :shrug:

dont know if its any more stable to be honest, all my installs are rock solid :D

but install times, boot times, loading all the pretty bits is much quicker than vista (for a valid comparison as it also had pretty bits).

Be interested to hear from anyone upgrading from XP - on the same machine - how easy is it to do - risky - or straightforward? Also how is it better - and is it worth it? Thanks.

I'm pretty sure you need to do a fresh install if you have XP, there's no upgrade option.

you cant upgrade from XP - it's a clean install or nothing at all :p

Yup! Got 7 Professional from PCworld, pre-ordered in July, arrived yesterday.
Installed a couple of hours ago, was a breeeze!! :cool:

Can't upgrade though, you need a clean install.

Still checking out the features but it's not too unfamiliar to me as we have Vista on the other PC and laptop.

It's much better than Vista. (y)

a clean install isn't going to happen then - I can't afford a couple of days or more to re-install every thing and get it all going again. I'll wait till I get a new computer. :(

from the Amazon website:

Running a version of XP?

If you have Windows XP, you can purchase Windows 7 Upgrade versions, but you must back up your files, clean install, and then reinstall your applications. For more details on the different types of installation options and the upgrade paths see the table below.

not good news.

I have always believed the best ever way to install any OS is from scratch.

Upgrades are never worth the hassle.

Been running W7 for quite some time now, and I must say it is fantastic.

from the Amazon website:

Running a version of XP?

If you have Windows XP, you can purchase Windows 7 Upgrade versions, but you must back up your files, clean install, and then reinstall your applications. For more details on the different types of installation options and the upgrade paths see the table below.

not good news.

ah i didnt see that to be honest, i wouldnt really classify that as an upgrade then.

but as above upgrades can cause more hassle than theyre worth sometimes.

.............Until now. The upgrade from Vista to 7 is flawless. I upgraded my laptop with a single click. Not one issue running progs from Vista, no issues at all and it's been running since RC release.

7 is definitely a marked improvement on XP and Vista in both features and performance. Anyone disagreeing is just in denial :D

Have been running the release versions of Windows 7 for a few months now and had no problems at all. Definitely an improvement on Vista.

To be honest there are quite a few new features but most of them seem to be gimmicky and aimed at average IT users who like spangly things and bright colors.

All I use my PC for is Photo editing (photoshop CS4 and bridge), website design (notepad ++), internet (Firefox) and I dont really need a better OS for this, Windows XP works fine.

To be honest there are quite a few new features but most of them seem to be gimmicky and aimed at average IT users who like spangly things and bright colors.

All I use my PC for is Photo editing (photoshop CS4 and bridge), website design (notepad ++), internet (Firefox) and I dont really need a better OS for this, Windows XP works fine.

wiggle mouse while dragging the title bar minimising everything but that = genius

auto maximise when dragging to the top of the screen = genius

tab moving down the list of files when batch renaming = genius

preview of groups = genius

when moving back through folders it highlights the one you were in so you dont get lost = genius

to name a few ive found, not really sure if they were in vista but ive only noticed them since going to 7.

And more good news!

Hewlett Packard has finally released new drivers for my HP B9180 printer!

Lovely jubbly!

Didn't think release was until 22nd.

Anyone else ordered it?

Amazon supposedly sent mine yesterday by DHL but it didn't arrive today. Maybe they should have used RM :LOL:
Hopefully it will arrive tomorrow. I'm looking forward to it :)

Mine came two days ago from PC World. Haven't plucked up courage yet though! =)

I dunno whether to bother to put it on my old P4 machine that has a problem when boot up (bios) or retire it and get a new cheap and cheerful media center and put win 7 on.

neil_g: double click either the top or the bottom border of a window on screen.

plus the wiggle thingy to hide will also unhide if you do it again :]

Back