Windows 7 has landed!..

you know about pinning stuff to the task bar yeah ?

To be honest there are quite a few new features but most of them seem to be gimmicky and aimed at average IT users who like spangly things and bright colors.

All I use my PC for is Photo editing (photoshop CS4 and bridge), website design (notepad ++), internet (Firefox) and I dont really need a better OS for this, Windows XP works fine.

:agree: Most of the stuff win 7 consists of was developed years ago,very Linux to a certain degree, I believe part of it was kinda taken from Apple :thinking:

who took it from NeXT, who took it from Amiga...

probably not worth it from vista imho atm (if you're running 64bit) however the hop from xp i reckon is probably more worth it again if you're not running 64 bit

generally though it's not revolutionary and tests seem to show it's not exceptionally faster (in some cases slower than xp) but if you like the new gui then maybe it's worth a bash?

((i've bought it btw))

I think its even more worth it if you currently own vista, none of the bloatware. I've had the full release for a short while now from the MSDN network and I have to admit it runs circles around vista. And perhaps a worthy upgrade from XP.

From a developers point of view its a pretty rounded product and integrates with VS2010 quite nicely.

I think its even more worth it if you currently own vista, none of the bloatware. I've had the full release for a short while now from the MSDN network and I have to admit it runs circles around vista. And perhaps a worthy upgrade from XP.

From a developers point of view its a pretty rounded product and integrates with VS2010 quite nicely.

How are you finding VS 2010? I use VS2008 all the time, not got the time to upgrade sites yet....

Is it .NET 3.5 or is 4.0 on the horizon....

G.

So much hate. I need to run W7 on one of my laptops, but I'm a die-hard XP fan when compared to all this "user friendly" rubbish they keep throwing up.
No better for me than Vista, as it still has the same annoying interfaces and "features".
Hate I say!

who took it from NeXT, who took it from Amiga...

And what happened to Amiga software? :LOL: It gets emulated on a PC that was based around the Amiga :shrug:

How are you finding VS 2010? I use VS2008 all the time, not got the time to upgrade sites yet....

Is it .NET 3.5 or is 4.0 on the horizon....

G.

Hi Gary,

it really is good but not too advanced from VS2008 that you get lost with all the options (unlike office 2003 to office 2007). You can hook it up with 2.0/3.5/4.0 but the C# rev 4 (dunno about VB as never tried it with VB yet) command extensions are very useful. Though apparently there is talk that VS2008 may be updated to include the rev 4 lexicons.

Mark

edited to add:

I think Discountasp.net now have a .NET 4.0 beta platform so you can host live websites using the latest .net technologies if you want to give it a whirl. ;)

Alternatively you can DL .net 4.0 direct from MSDN - both .NET Framework 4 Full Beta 2 (x86 and x64) - (English) and Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate Beta 2 (x86) - DVD (English) were available from 20-10-2009. However, I'm not sure if this is available on the freebie revision of MSDN.

Got my pre-order from Amazon a day early.

I was previously running 64 bit Vista and appearance wise, Win 7 isn't earth shatteringly different.
It does seem to start up quicker though 1st impressions are I like it.

I ran the on-line compatibility check before I ordered it which reported no problems.

During the install however, it warned me about the Canon EOS Utility app.

The troubleshooting area of Win7 was able to test the app and reccommended running it in XP SP2 mode.

There were about 3 batches of updates available for my system after the install.

First port of call for me was turning that damned UAC off. ;)

Hi Gary,

it really is good but not too advanced from VS2008 that you get lost with all the options (unlike office 2003 to office 2007). You can hook it up with 2.0/3.5/4.0 but the C# rev 4 (dunno about VB as never tried it with VB yet) command extensions are very useful. Though apparently there is talk that VS2008 may be updated to include the rev 4 lexicons.

Mark

edited to add:

I think Discountasp.net now have a .NET 4.0 beta platform so you can host live websites using the latest .net technologies if you want to give it a whirl. ;)

Alternatively you can DL .net 4.0 direct from MSDN - both .NET Framework 4 Full Beta 2 (x86 and x64) - (English) and Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate Beta 2 (x86) - DVD (English) were available from 20-10-2009. However, I'm not sure if this is available on the freebie revision of MSDN.

Pretty cool! I have a new Windows Server 2008 gone live, and its not getting used for much. I might upgrade it to 4.0 and vs2010. Have a tinker! :)

Gary.

Ok, my nice new copy just arrived. I have been running RC Version for a couple of months, can I just do a straight forward upgrade, as I am sure I read somewhere when I downloaded it that the full release version would require a clean install. I installed the rc straight over Vista with no issues :shrug:

Ok, my nice new copy just arrived. I have been running RC Version for a couple of months, can I just do a straight forward upgrade, as I am sure I read somewhere when I downloaded it that the full release version would require a clean install. I installed the rc straight over Vista with no issues :shrug:

I've found the built in 'windows easy transfer' to be quite good just run it on the old one to gather your data and settings then on the new install to put it all back again. It won't install other programs but does transfer settings files from them.
You can choose what to include when you do the backup and again when you come to import.

i think you can do an RC to full version by playing around with some of the config files. i upgraded to RC from an old beta when MS said it was not possible :]

hmm, ok, thanks chaps, will probably go for a clean install, the lappy doesn't have too much by way of docs or programs installed anyway, its main use is as an internet machine.
Like someone else said, I fancy putting the 64bit version on my desktop [currently XP64], but cannot be bothered atm with the couple of days it would take to re-install all the software, etc :bonk:

cannot be bothered atm with the couple of days it would take to re-install all the software, etc :bonk:

so true. the actual 7 install is blistering compared to previous OS if i remember rightly it took about 15 mins on my dual core 2.4Ghz 4gb lappy. but installing all my work and personal apps took nearly a full working day lol

thats excluding transfering my mountains of reference data/music/films etc etc..

:wacky:

I've been using 7 for absolutely ages now, I used the Beta when it first came out and I'm currently using the RC and it's fantastic! I got my copy off play for 49.99 and I think they're using royal mail so I doubt it'll arrive until friday.

Have had the RC's for a few months and it is a big improvement on Vista and XP in terms of speed, reliability etc. I think the shell was completely re-written, which it had to be to make an improvement. I'm getting a copy for my parents as Vista is just annoying for them.
I wish Microsoft would include an IDE with the OS like Apple do with Xcode, (the choice is either a basic express version which you can download, or pro versions which cost a lot).
I don't like the name of Windows 7 though, it's not exactly exciting compared to other OS's such as Apple's big cats or linux Ubuntu hardy heron etc.
I would certainly say it's microsoft's best effort yet though - I'll be very interested in future OS's from all Manufacturers!

why does an OS need a poncey name ? :p you shouldn't be choosing your OS based on whether it's called Hardy Heron or Orange Baboon...

why does an OS need a poncey name ? :p you shouldn't be choosing your OS based on whether it's called Hardy Heron or Orange Baboon...

My post wasn't referring to buying an OS because of it's name - it was about having a good name to go with the OS to complete the 'package' so to speak.

My post wasn't referring to buying an OS because of it's name - it was about having a good name to go with the OS to complete the 'package' so to speak.

meh, Volvo do alright with their numbers, as do BMW :p would you refuse a BMW because it didn't have a name that wasn't a number ?

I'm downloading it now, I'd completely forgotten about the Academic Alliance thing! Might buy a new hard drive for my laptop and install it on that, it would take months to re-install all my programs, settings, photos etc etc!

Chris

I just tried to get my copy through the windows site and it takes me to an external website for my HP laptop, apparently it is £22 for the upgrade. Did anyone else have to pay for this??

£12.78 for Acer. Supposedly postage and handling cost. Gave details for the upgrade but not been billed yet. email says they will work their way through the orders starting from the earliest and billing as they go. guess that could take some time.

meh, Volvo do alright with their numbers, as do BMW :p would you refuse a BMW because it didn't have a name that wasn't a number ?

I would buy both makes..... if I had enough money!
It's just numbers don't sound as good as a really zazzy name, in my opinion. The point of my post wasn't about purchasing something because of the name, it was about a good product with a good name (name being a string and not an integer). I just like that :p

I've had a couple of BMWs, and I don't have a problem with the number codes (even if they're not always quite accurate), but they reserve the "M" badge for the really sexy ones! That's almost like a brand in itself.

Installed without a hitch earlier, but the one issue i am having is with the slideshow gadget not allowing me to view the selected picture. It just comes up with' Unspecified error' :shrug:

I just tried to get my copy through the windows site and it takes me to an external website for my HP laptop, apparently it is £22 for the upgrade. Did anyone else have to pay for this??

I bought my Mrs a new laptop last week with a Windows 7 upgrade offer thinking it would be free and ended up paying £22 aswell. It's still cheap but i think the wording on the laptop offer was a bit mis-leading.

I just put Win7 on my desktop today and i'm very pleased overall.
Nice features. I especially love that my 5 in 1 card reader now only shows as a drive when i have a memory card inserted (on Vista it had f: g: h: i: etc).

My wireless network card and sound card wouldn't work with the Vista drivers though :bang:

I bought my Mrs a new laptop last week with a Windows 7 upgrade offer thinking it would be free and ended up paying £22 aswell. It's still cheap but i think the wording on the laptop offer was a bit mis-leading.

Yeah, pretty mis-leading.

I haven't used 7 since the beta stages when very few drivers worked properly. Time to test it again.

I've just been looking at the upgrade documents that came with my Acer laptop. It invites me to upgrade to "Windows 7 Profissional" :cautious: :LOL:

Yeah, pretty mis-leading.

I think a lot of these deals are misleading. They advertise a free upgrade, which just covers the licence, and sting you for the handling and postage when you place the order. Still a good deal, but it comes as a surprise and it's a bit irritating. Why not state the terms up front? I doubt if it would really put anyone off, and you can still use Vista if you want to.

Just ordered mine. What are folk using as an email client with it now that windows mail has gone?

Just ordered mine. What are folk using as an email client with it now that windows mail has gone?

Why is WIndows Mail gone? I quite like it. If I remember correctly, it may still be available as part of "Windows Live". I remember seeing it as an option when installing Windows Live Messenger.

Anyhoo, I am seeking out a copy of Office 2010, and will use Outlook to connect to my exchange server.

G.

Why is WIndows Mail gone? I quite like it. If I remember correctly, it may still be available as part of "Windows Live". I remember seeing it as an option when installing Windows Live Messenger.

Anyhoo, I am seeking out a copy of Office 2010, and will use Outlook to connect to my exchange server.

G.

If I remember correctly, MS agreed to remove the mail client due to unfair competition.
I believe the same was tried with IE but as this uses some of it's components within the OS, they were allowed to keep it.

It looks like Win 7 is going to be the OS that Vista should have been.
I've been running the Beta on my laptop for months and yesterday, I installed the Ultimate edition on my Desktop PC.
I'm well impressed with driver database within Win 7 and full chipset support so I didn't need to pre-install the RAID drivers during the set up process.

I installed Professional last night and was glad to see that my wireless card driver is now there as it wasn't in the release candidate I had been running, saved me having to dig out an ethernet cable and hook up "old school" style.

Back