Windows 7 has landed!..

As a PC online gamer I will be sticking firmly to XP Pro32 until companies such as Evenbalance and VAC decide to offer full W7 support. PB and VAC are both causing API kicks on slightly older games and I dont think servers can steram correctly to Game Violations just yet either.
Lovely O/S but too early to be fully functional, so typical MS ;)

Just ordered mine. What are folk using as an email client with it now that windows mail has gone?

I have all my email forwarded to my Berry so I just use Thunderbird since it is free and does what I need it to.

I kinda miss Windows mail though, it was a good application.

thanks, the wife won't be pleased if she has to use a new programme :)

I've had a couple of BMWs, and I don't have a problem with the number codes (even if they're not always quite accurate), but they reserve the "M" badge for the really sexy ones! That's almost like a brand in itself.

It is. A completely seperate division. ;) very pleased with the job they did on mine. :clap:

Kev.

From other posts on this forum it seems to be a clean install, try a search to find the exact procedure ;)

XP - 7 = clean install
Vista - 7 = clean install OR in place upgrade

Finally got my ass into gear this afternoon and installed full release version of W7 on my lappy. It already had the RC upgraded from vista, so decided to go for a clean install. All running beautifully and quick and the only drivers I had to add for my Dell vostro1000 were the graphics/monitor, everything else functioned from install. W7 is by no means perfect, but certainly the best MS OS yet imo.

I've been running it properly for the last week now and really only had one problem with a application (MSN Plus), but other than that, it's been great.

I've had it running as just a gaming machine, and it runs like a dream compared to Vista. Some of my games are now actually playable.

The only thing I don't like about it is: The libraries button in the task bar and the new folder view in Windows Explorer.

T.

:bang: ok, this is driving mad trying to find the answer on Microsofts website so hoping someone here will know. Its about licencing.

I bought the Home Premium edition for my laptop, which of course comes with 2 discs, 32bit and 64bit versions, with a single licence key. Inside the box, the gumph clearly states you may use one or the other versions at a time, not both and of course only for one machine, unless you bought the family eddition which can go on 3 machines [which as far as I can tell, I haven't]. Fair enough, that was what I expected. However, what I am trying to find out is whether it's possible to buy an additional licence at some point in the future if I decide to use the 64bit version for my desktop and whether that will save any money over just straightforward ordering another complete version with discs?

Best Wishes

Confused in London

;)

i cant find anyone offer "no media" licences so i suspect not, but then normally the cost of single licences wouldnt really offer any cost saving.

in hindsite the familiy pack may of been of benefit.

Well yesterday I did my upgrade from Vista to win7 and did it take a long time like 5hrs? it looked like it was re writing ever thing I had on the hard drives...
But all working IE8 stops working at times but then I like Firfox so will reset it to be default I think

upgrade or clean install?

5 hours sounds a little excessive, the clean install takes like 15 mins.. but then i guess it has to go through and update entries for all installed software etc etc

I've been running Windows 7 since the early beta release days and it's a great OS. Like Chaz I find that the IE8 build is somewhat less than stable and has a tendency to not load new tabs or windows... hopefully this will be sorted out with the SP1 release.

Other than that I love it.

Have to say that Ubuntu's new release is pretty cool too if you're on a budget :)

Thanks for the info chaps, when I can be bothered spending a couple of days installing all my software, will purchase another copy. (y)

As for IE8, tbh, I havent tried living with it, even after installing RC7 a few months ago I carried on with FF. Used it briefly lays night to down load newest version of FF, but that was it. :shrug:

Was definately impressed with time taken to do a cleaninstall, super-quick, and when compared to XP on my OH's lappy, boots up in about half the time and that includes me having turned off all those unecessary background bootup programs on his, so a definate (y) from me.

been running it since the release date (32bit pro edition) and so far im quite liking it, its crashed once (when i was trying to install a thousand things at once, but otherwise its been ok, really lik the sticky notes program as well :D

Ordered two 'early adopter' copies from Comet and the invoice said dispatch 26th. At ten past nine this morning, ding dong, nice man from Comet at the door with my copies. Both installed with relatively few problems.

Like Chaz I find that the IE8 build is somewhat less than stable and has a tendency to not load new tabs or windows...

Actually thats an issue with IE8 over various OS platforms including XP, Vista and Windows 7. MS are trying to blame third party add ons (and in a lot of cases it is) but in reality it is due to the way it attempts to create a new 'handler' from physical ram. You may find that a tab will not connect but if you attempt to create a subsequent tab on the same IE8 browser instance it works fine. It's a huge problem at the moment but MS are refusing to do anything about it despite huge protests from various Microsoft communities.

Well IE8 is working just fine with my new Win7 64 Ultimate, no problems whatsoever.

Then again, it was ticketty-boo with my XP64 too!

For those of you having problems with IE8 try re-setting your browsers settings, this often helps to fix problems.

To do this go to tools > internet options > advanced tab > click on re-set

Useful advice Keith.

As mentioned elsewhere on another thread laptop now has Windows 7 installed on it without any problems. Now for the desktop!

Just installed windows 7 , (two days ago)

I did a clean install from Vista , I cant believe how quick and easy it was , also when it first booted up it asked for my wireless key and i was online in seconds

if i remember correctly XP and vista were a bit of a faff to sort wireless conectivity

The other day I put Windows 7 on my laptop and it went really well.

This evening, after some glasses of wine, I went for the ultimate challenge and put it on my main computer ie desktop.

Whereas Vista took hours and hours to load (I managed to read the complete works of Shakespeare!) Windows 7 took a fraction of the time and worked fine first time.

Earlier today I had wandered in to WH Smiths and purchased "The Ultimate Guide to Windows 7" published by PC Pro. In the magazine it suggested that using the Easy Transfer Wizard if you had to do a clean install and didn't want to lose your files/settings.

Start a new transfer and tell the wizard that this is your old computer. You can choose where to transfer your files/settings during Windows 7 installation. An external hard drive is best. Give the back up a name. It will ask what you wish to transfer. I went for everything.

Once you have installed Windows 7 go in to easy transfer wizard. Navigate to where you stored your back up, choose what to restore and click transfer! Bob's your uncle!

As it was a clean install I had to reinstall Microsoft Office 2003 again. Once that was installed I went in to Outlook thinking I'd have to type in all my contacts/girlfriends (!!). No thanks to easy transfer wizard all my emails where there from before and all the contacts. Really chuffed.

Even the desktop background picture I had before installing Windows 7 was there on my desktop pc thanks to wizard.

Wish I'd known about easy transfer wizard when I installed Windows 7 on my laptop. Anyone know how to transfer contacts between computers?!!

I did an upgrade from Vista Home premium 64 bit today. It took around 3½ hours or so in total. Longer than a clean install but probably an awful lot less that having to re-install all my apps. The only thing that's not working is my citrix ICA program neighbourhood with a vpn connection to work, but I'll do a bit of digging around on that one later. Everything else seems fine. I can't get the "classic" look and menus now but that's no big deal, just personal preference really.

Anyone know how to transfer contacts between computers?!!

If you are using Outlook, just go to File>Import and Export then in the next window "Export To A File" then select "Personal Folder File (.pst)" and then just select your contacts folder and the rest is self explanatory. Reverse the process to add to the other machine.

If you are using Outlook, just go to File>Import and Export then in the next window "Export To A File" then select "Personal Folder File (.pst)" and then just select your contacts folder and the rest is self explanatory. Reverse the process to add to the other machine.

Many thanks for your reply. Much appreciated.

Back