Beginner Winnats Pass, Peak District

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
I'm happy enough with this. sure it has issues, lens flare for one, but it's all part of the learning curve and knowing how best to post-process. This is a simple HDR of 2 images, sky and foreground. Composition needs work, editing needs work, but I'm enjoying just being out there and f*ck me the climb up was a killer, my heart was like WTF MAN? But it felt great at the top.

26577458763_26f493bc07_h.jpg

Like the scene and comp Mark, really not too sure on the processing though! Foreground grass is way too bright considering time of day and it's also a little over saturated for my tastes.

Like the scene and comp Mark, really not too sure on the processing though! Foreground grass is way too bright considering time of day and it's also a little over saturated for my tastes.
:agree:

In addition, all the detail recovery in the land area has resulted in a halo running the length of the hilltops.
Another crack at the editing methinks.

Taking into account what the others have already said, sound advice. You have got a good exposure there and i like the composition also.
So its really only a question of processing and you will see a whole host of styles here. I think this forum is a great learning place and a great place to study other peoples styles. Some will keep there processing methods close to there chest, a closely guarded secret others will be happy to share so if you see something you like don't be scared to ask!

You will find some obvious things to look for in your shot which can be artifacts from processing, so you will find pushing this or that slider too far will cause a particular problem.:(
Anyhow maybe the HDR software you used may have lifted the foreground too much, it has a tendency to do that! The greens do look a little electric but this could all be as a result of the automated HDR...
I don't think the grass adds too much to the shot in the foreground and if you scroll down/up you can see what the shot looks like slightly cropped with just an "edge" of grass (small strip) of grass before the edge. Alternatively i'd probably drop the exposure by a big handful on the grass and check the saturation after you have lowered the exposure on it. Then look at the haloing then your sorted. Is the flare present in both exposures btw?
I love the cloud and the colour in the sky BTW.

Time you have climbed up there a few dozen times you'll have a great circulation, and i don't want to spoil that for you and tell you the easy way;)

Last edited:
Hi Mick,

Can only really echo what the others have said but for a 'beginners' shot, i'd be pretty pleased!
Yes, the processing definitely needs tinkering but that will come with time, what works, what doesn't, its all trial and error!
Well done anyway - compositionally its lovely and has potential for a fine image.

Lovely shot, i'll leave it to those who know to advise on the finer aspects of post processing, but from a non technical view I think it's a great image, love the composition and you seem to have got the light spot on. Apart from a few tweaks suggested (depending on taste) I think it's a very polished image, sort of a magazine shot. And I mean that as a compliment.

Back