Wolves escape..France

Status
Not open for further replies.
Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I read this report yesterday.

A team of rangers have until Christmas to capture Canadian and Arctic wolves that escaped from their enclosure in an Alpine wildlife park.They fear the government will order the wolves to be shot to protect local livestock if they fail to capture them by December 25th. Parc Alpha ,which is home to many wolves in the Alps-Maritimes region was hit in October by Storm Alex. Two of its three Arctic wolves were killed and a female. Gryda,escaped. It’s thought she will be able to survive. Seven Canadian wolves also escaped .Threee have been recaptured by rangers who put out food for them and then tranquillised them with darts when the came to feed. Four are still in the wild. Rangers fear two gave beeen killed by poachers. The remaining two, Bella and Kahh ,the Alpha male, have been spotted but not near enough to be shot with a tranquilliser dart. If they can’t be captured by Christmas Day the search will end. The government will then decide what to do. There’s a fear that locals will shoot them anyway.

I hope the remaining free ones can be captured. Fortunately the risk to humans is very low(though it might be higher in this case as perhaps these wolves are more used to people) but they will take livestock.

Dave

It is a shame they cannot be captured but you cannot have wolves roaming wild - the risk to human life and livestock is too great.

They did want to reintroduce them into Scotland to help reduce the red deer population. I don't know if that ever came to anything then they wanted to release a number of Lynx as well but they are more likely to take a sheep or two, not a deer.

They did want to reintroduce them into Scotland to help reduce the red deer population. I don't know if that ever came to anything then they wanted to release a number of Lynx as well but they are more likely to take a sheep or two, not a deer.

Thankfully nothing came of that nonsense. Deer can be easily controlled by humans, with rifles if need be - they are not a dangerous animal or species to co-exist with either even if the numbers go up.

Introducing bears and wolves is lethal and a very bad idea.

I take on what you say but have you ever seen one of the massive herds on the west of Scotland? There are literally thousands of animals in one huge mass. A few years ago near Ardnamuchan driving towards the Lighthouse, I thought I was seeing things when it appeared that the whole side of a mountain was moving. It was one of these mega herds There is insufficient food to feed them all leaving the herds prone to starvation and sickly animals which will die a slow and agonising death.

You do not have to go to the west of Scotland either. Drive over Glencoe at night you have to be exceptionally careful. There is literally no light except those of your vehicle but they pick out the reflections of the deer's eyes like cats eyes scattered all over the moorland. It can be difficult to make out what is road and cats eyes, or what is a deer 20 yards off to the left or right,

Shooting is not the answer, there are simply too many and you have to be able to get close enough to get a 'clean kill'. Shoot one or two and the whole herd moves as one and you are faced with the problems of following them, because deer go places a shooting party cannot.

I made no mention of bears and in any case they do not have the speed needed to kill deer, but wolves do, and so do lynx, even hunting alone will quickly dispatch the sickly animals.

Wolves are very little threat to humans, they will avoid them if they can their only interest is where the next meal of venison will come from and that will not include humans

Last edited by a moderator:
I take on what you say but have you ever seen one of the massive herds on the west of Scotland? There are literally thousands of animals in one huge mass. A few years ago near Ardnamuchan driving towards the Lighthouse, I thought I was seeing things when it appeared that the whole side of a mountain was moving. It was one of these mega herds There is insufficient food to feed them all leaving the herds prone to starvation and sickly animals which will die a slow and agonising death.

You do not have to go to the west of Scotland either. Drive over Glencoe at night you have to be exceptionally careful. There is literally no light except those of your vehicle but they pick out the reflections of the deer's eyes like cats eyes scattered all over the moorland. It can be difficult to make out what is road and cats eyes, or what is a deer 20 yards off to the left or right,

Shooting is not the answer, there are simply too many and you have to be able to get close enough to get a 'clean kill'. Shoot one or two and the whole herd moves as one and you are faced with the problems of following them, because deer go places a shooting party cannot.

I made no mention of bears and in any case they do not have the speed needed to kill deer, but wolves do, and so do lynx, even hunting alone will quickly dispatch the sickly animals.

Wolves are very little threat to humans, they will avoid them if they can their only interest is where the next meal of venison will come from and that will not include humans

I know about driving through Glencoe :D It is an obstacle course at night with the deer.

The fact the deer numbers keep growing though indicates there is sufficient food for them to eat and nature will equilibrate for that. Venison is also a lovely food to eat, I cannot imagine wolf is, and if we contained them in better, we could farm them. Nothing some well placed fencing wouldn't solve and a few extra game keepers couldn't handle - or even open up the area to blood sports. Our economy will need rejuvenated and deer hunting is a way to achieve that.

And other than driving carefully they really pose no risk to humans or live stock. We can co-exist with deer quite well. I have some in my garden, they are no issue at all.

Last edited:
I know about driving through Glencoe :D It is an obstacle course at night with the deer.

The fact the deer numbers keep growing though indicates there is sufficient food for them to eat and nature will equilibrate for that. Venison is also a lovely food to eat, I cannot imagine wolf is, and if we contained them in better, we could farm them. Nothing some well placed fencing wouldn't solve and a few extra game keepers couldn't handle - or even open up the area to blood sports. Our economy will need rejuvenated and deer hunting is a way to achieve that.

And other than driving carefully they really pose no risk to humans or live stock. We can co-exist with deer quite well. I have some in my garden, they are no issue at all.

Do you know how much deer fencing costs per metre to install, particularly in difficult terrain? Who's going to pay for the installation (and maintenance) of the vast quantity of fencing that would be needed to effectively control deer movement in Scotland?

Deer pose no risk to humans or livestock? Are you aware that deer can carry bovine TB? Then there's Lyme Disease from the ticks they support. Not to mention the economic and environmental impact from damage to vegetation caused by deer (including young trees and cereal crops). As with most things, a balanced view needs to be taken to inform a reasoned opinion.

Do you know how much deer fencing costs per metre to install, particularly in difficult terrain? Who's going to pay for the installation (and maintenance) of the vast quantity of fencing that would be needed to effectively control deer movement in Scotland?

Deer pose no risk to humans or livestock? Are you aware that deer can carry bovine TB? Then there's Lyme Disease from the ticks they support. Not to mention the economic and environmental impact from damage to vegetation caused by deer (including young trees and cereal crops). As with most things, a balanced view needs to be taken to inform a reasoned opinion.

and introducing wolves and other such predators is not a balanced or seasoned approach. Who'd pay, either the land owner or the council. There isn't much/any TB in the UK so it doesn't wash, and the fencing would only really need to cover farm areas. A few well placed shooters could do the rest.

There isn't much/any TB in the UK so it doesn't wash, and the fencing would only really need to cover farm areas. A few well placed shooters could do the rest.
I'm sorry, I'm afraid you're talking absolute rubbish there. Do you think the government and farming community would spend hundreds of millions of pounds on bovine TB testing and animal culls if "there isn't much/any TB in the UK"! :eggface: They don't do it for fun!

Last edited:
I'm sorry, I'm afraid you're talking absolute rubbish there. Do you think the government and farming community would spend hundreds of millions of pounds on bovine TB testing and animal culls if "there isn't much/any TB in the UK"! :eggface: They don't do it for fun!
They do it to make sure. Its not a wide spread.

Deer aren't a terrible problem and never will be.

A few minutes ago you were implying bovine TB didn't exist, make your mind up! They do it to try to control the infection rate amongst cattle, which was rising, particularly in the south-east of England. It is widespread, as it affects a wide area of the UK. It seems you really don't know what you're talking about here, so I think you should give up with this one! ;)

Last edited:
A few minutes ago you were implying bovine TB didn't exist, make your mind up! They do it to try to control the infection rate amongst cattle, which was rising, particularly in the south-east of England. It is widespread, as it affects a wide area of the UK. It seems you really don't know what you're talking about here, so I think you should give up with this one! ;)

We were talking about Deer in Scotland, not the SE of England, in the context of wolves being reintroduced to Scotland. Quite a side track there as deer aren't nearly as prevalent in the SE of England as they are in NW Scotland.

Quite why you wish to derail this thread - maybe you are just one of those animal lover types who wants to see wolves introduced for the sake of them being introduced - but I can assure you they are not a good idea. Our forebears kindly ridded of us of Wolves, bears etc for a very good reason. 1. They can be dangerous to human life 2. They are almost certainly dangerous to livestock.

Back to the French situation. Yes I hope the wolves are captured and taken back to their enclosure, but I fully support the French and their farmers shooting them on sight if need be. Afterall - it has been rumoured some were all ready killed by people -which rather debunks the theory they wouldn't go near people - they did - near enough to spotted.

Last edited:

Deer aren't a terrible problem and never will be.
I’m afraid @Mr Badger is right - lots of points made here but the two I’d like to comment on are a) bovine TB is a massive problem in the uk - it’s widespread and wreaks havoc on the rural communities is affects. b) wolves pose virtually no risk to humans. Moreover they are fairly widespread in continental Europe. They have strongholds on Eastern Europe but are expanding west partly thanks to the gradual abandonment of marginal farmland. https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp....us-hunter-the-uneasy-return-of-europes-wolves

I’m afraid @Mr Badger is right - lots of points made here but the two I’d like to comment on are a) bovine TB is a massive problem in the uk - it’s widespread and wreaks havoc on the rural communities is affects. b) wolves pose virtually no risk to humans. Moreover they are fairly widespread in continental Europe. They have strongholds on Eastern Europe but are expanding west partly thanks to the gradual abandonment of marginal farmland. https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp....us-hunter-the-uneasy-return-of-europes-wolves

They are dangerous. The Gaurdian is a very dubious news source that panders to lefty animal lover types. Simple fact is we got rid of them for a valid reason, same with bears. There is no need to introduce them.

And virtually no risk isn't the same as no risk at all. Simply not having them here will always be safer. Hunt the deer if need be and keep the nasty apex preditors away. And you ignore completely the risk to live stock.

Last edited:

It is even more 'fun' on a motorcycle with only one headlight!!!! It is actually quite frightening because the road twists and the beam from your light gets lost in the vastness of the pass.

Quite why you wish to derail this thread - maybe you are just one of those animal lover types who wants to see wolves introduced for the sake of them being introduced - but I can assure you they are not a good idea. Our forebears kindly ridded of us of Wolves, bears etc for a very good reason. 1. They can be dangerous to human life 2. They are almost certainly dangerous to livestock.

1. I did not derail this thread, I contributed to it so a balanced view could be presented.

2. Can you point out one single instance of me saying that wolves or other apex predators should be reintroduced to the UK in this thread?

It is even more 'fun' on a motorcycle with only one headlight!!!! It is actually quite frightening because the road twists and the beam from your light gets lost in the vastness of the pass.

I guess I know what you mean, I know the road so well having driven through that area, and on to Skye through the night countless times. I do miss the ILS Xenon lights from my Merc, as you turned the wheel they'd turn with the bend lighting up more of the corner. I've never had a bike, wouldn't trust myself on one to do something silly.

If man stopped interfering then nature would find it's own balance ....including its own way of controling the human population!!!

I live in the Alpes Maritimes ( not a million miles away from Parc Alpha) and although i haven't yet come across wolves, I do see plenty of other wildlife including wild boars, a family of which ( two adults, two youngsters,) roam only a few hundered meters from where i live and occasionally there is full grown single male that strolls casually infront of my home.
Nobody bats an eyelid.....They are accepted as part and parcel of the countryside.

Man seems to forget that for the best part, we are living in their terrain yet when they naturally appear it's like we have to get rid or control them in some way ( culs, closures, parcs etc)

But hey, we're supposedly the most intelligent species:thinking:............I wonder who came up with that one, Oh a man?!!! :rolleyes: :facepalm::ROFLMAO:

Edit: Just to add that if left alone, most animals will not bother us ......The vast majority have ( quite rightly) a fear of us.
Of course they will attack, including the wld boars that i mention, but not without provocation.

Last edited:
If man stopped interfering then nature would find it's own balance ....including its own way of controling the human population!!!

I live in the Alpes Maritimes ( not a million miles away from Parc Alpha) and although i haven't yet come across wolves, I do see plenty of other wildlife including wild boars, a family of which ( two adults, two youngsters,) roam only a few hundered meters from where i live and occasionally there is full grown single male that strolls casually infront of my home.
Nobody bats an eyelid.....They are accepted as part and parcel of the countryside.

Man seems to forget that for the best part, we are living in their terrain yet when they naturally appear it's like we have to get rid or control them in some way ( culs, closures, parcs etc)

But hey, we're supposedly the most intelligent species:thinking:............I wonder who came up with that one, Oh a man?!!! :rolleyes: :facepalm::ROFLMAO:

Edit: Just to add that if left alone, most animals will not bother us ......The vast majority have ( quite rightly) a fear of us.
Of course they will attack, including the wld boars that i mention, but not without provocation.

We are the most intelligent species. To dispute that is laughable. It's not our physical attributes which has seen us rise to the top of the food chain. What have other animals invented - they cannot even make fire.

Animals, mainly do stay away, but there are enough cases where they do not so it is prudent to a) not introduce further numbers of large animals b) keep them away from us. I'd counter by saying people are now part and parcel of the countryside and it is them that live in our terrain. Hence it is so urgent that these wolves are captured and taken back to their enclosure where they cannot harm us or our livestock.

We are the most intelligent species.

^^THAT^^

is laughable.

So much so that we have the intelligence to destroy not only everything around us ( inc the 'destruction of other species' by wiping them out) , but also to destroy ourselves and each other.

Debating this topic with someone who clearly believes that we are superior to the rest of the animal kingdom of which we are a part of ( don't bother with the animal / mammal differences!) , is obviously going to go nowhere as we are at opposite poles.

^^THAT^^

So much so that we have the intelligence to destroy not only everything around us ( inc the 'destruction of other species' by wiping them out) , but also to destroy ourselves and each other.

Debating this topic with someone who clearly believes that we are superior to the rest of the animal kingdom of which we are a part of ( don't bother with the animal / mammal differences!) , is obviously going to go nowhere as we are at opposite poles.

You do know certain animal species will eat their young and kill their own as well...

You do know certain animal species will eat their young and kill their own as well...

Yes indeed i'm aware of that.

Do you know of an animal that force feeds another to fatten it up for lunch! ( think foie gras)

Edit to add:
What animals do in nature is as nature intended.
What we do to animals and to each other is often unnatural and darn right evil.

Last edited:

They are dangerous. The Gaurdian is a very dubious news source that panders to lefty animal lover types. Simple fact is we got rid of them for a valid reason, same with bears. There is no need to introduce them.

And virtually no risk isn't the same as no risk at all. Simply not having them here will always be safer. Hunt the deer if need be and keep the nasty apex preditors away. And you ignore completely the risk to live stock.
I fear engaging in this argument will involve banging heads and brick walls

I live in the North Dordogne and on rare occasions, we do get reports of Wolves being sighted in our area...........in fact, I posted a couple of weeks ago, about a dead Deer carcass that I found in a neighbours field (https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/fox-trying-to-drag-a-deer-away.718976/#post-8836135). - Since then, I have sighted a lone wolf and there have been more reported sightings, but it's not a great concern, as Wolves will certainly avoid human contact.

I spend many hours trekking through local woodlands and whilst I have managed to stalk deer and wild boar, I have never had a negative experience.

Sadly peoples unfounded fear of these animals, causes an unatural reaction!

and introducing wolves and other such predators is not a balanced or seasoned approach. Who'd pay, either the land owner or the council. There isn't much/any TB in the UK so it doesn't wash, and the fencing would only really need to cover farm areas. A few well placed shooters could do the rest.

What century are you in? No TB in the UK! Try telling that to farmers who have to cull entire herds when their animals get infected. It costs millions of pounds in compensation. I have already explained why shooting is not the answer. One shot and whole herds take off, so you have to chase them. Obviously you have not lived and worked in the country.

What century are you in? No TB in the UK! Try telling that to farmers who have to cull entire herds when their animals get infected. It costs millions of pounds in compensation. I have already explained why shooting is not the answer. One shot and whole herds take off, so you have to chase them. Obviously you have not lived and worked in the country.

Just wait until the wolves start killing off livestock - it is a serious issue. Indeed Bears were introduced to the Pyrenees and the farmers are up in arms about it - as there have been several occasions of sheep chased off mountain edges. Thankfully the French have more guts and just shot one of the bears as enough was enough. These decisions to introduce these dangerous beasts are made by left leaning, woke impressionable urban politicians

After this year seeing the performance of trapped humans I think re-introducing wolves to cull a few in inbred samples wouldn’t matter one iota ..

Yes indeed i'm aware of that.

Do you know of an animal that force feeds another to fatten it up for lunch! ( think foie gras)

Edit to add:
What animals do in nature is as nature intended.
What we do to animals and to each other is often unnatural and darn right evil.

Fois Gras is delicious. I love it.

It's moved on someway from my original post but that's sometimes how threads develop.

Surely, your comment re Fois Gras in response to Asha was a wind up ? We do some pretty nasty things to animals/birds and how Foie Gras is produced is up there at the top alongside bear bile extraction for so-called chinese traditional medicine and people don't have to be so-called animal lovers simply because they have regard to the welfare of of animals..in this case geese. I don't like the term 'animal lover' as it's often used to denigrate those who, in reality' don't 'love' animals but as I say, do care about their welfare. You've actually confirmed the derogatory nature of the term when you used it in a negative way by calling Mr. Badger. 'one of those animal-lover types' and likewise, your response to Tom Pinchenzo (post 15) you said" The Guardian is a very dubious news source that panders to leftie animal lovers'.

On that last comment . Animal lovers..as you appear to disparagingly call them..are not the preserve of the Left. The PM's fiancée ,Carrie Symonds,is patron of the Conservative Animal Welfare Foundation. It's believed that she's behind the imminent ban of the export of livestock post the transition period ending on the 31st. She champions animal welfare and. cons ervation. She's been involved in campaigns to stop the killing of Puffins in Iceland abd talking of Iceland,whaling too. She wants the ill- gotten gains of trophy hunters from the UK who travel,mainly but not exclusively to Africa to be banned from importing them. She's highlighted the way monkeys are used to climb trees and gather coconuts on an industrial scale. . She wants the Global wildlife trade brought to an end.

This is what wildlife campaigner,Dominic Dyer, said of her.

"The Carrie Symonds effect is strong, I would not underestimate her influence over these issues.” Johnson’s partner has worked for international charity Oceana, championed anti-whaling causes, and made a surprise appearance at this summer’s Birdfair, dubbed “the conservationists’ Glastonbury”. Dyer joined Symonds there and says she is among an influential new generation of women from within both the animal rights – and Conservative"

To get back to the Fois Gras issue,which,by the way, Carrie Symond's wants an import ban placed on it.

Would you take a minute to read this ? I assume when you ate it you were at least aware of the controversy about the forced-feeding but maybe not the detail,not that it needs spelling out to understand how distressing, at best and horrific at worst, it is. I can't understand how anyone can be properly aware of how Fois Gras is produced can still maintain that they..to quote you " love it"

I can see from responses in other threads that quite often posted links aren't read. so, from the article.

It starts..' Is anyone still eating the diseased livers of tormented birds'. Well, the answer to that is obviously yes because the UK imports 180-200 tons a year. Environmemt Minister, George Eustace has said they will looking at a ban post the Brexit transition period.

The production of Fois Gras involves intentionally inducing a painful debilitating illness in healthy young animals . Workers roughly grab the necks if weeks-old geese and shove a metal tube down their throats through which they force-feed the birds up to three times a day.' This eventually enlarges their livers by 600%.. 10 times normal..

The geese are forced-fed 2kgs of grain a day. Eye-witness investigators have found that the geese become so ill they can't stand up and that's on premises that are considered to be high welfare. Sounds like a contradiction of terms to me.

Regarding the damage inflicted by humans on invertebrates it's amounted to,since the 16th century, the extinction of 680 species. .A 2019 report shows that a million animal and plant species are under threat of extinction. We're destroying eco systems and the ravage of the essential rain forests go on unabated .When Asha said "We're supposedly the most intelligent species..etc. you took him literally going on to say that animals can't make fire,we can. It's clear it wasn't meant to taken literally but to point out that how can the most intelligent species do such stupid, reckless even, things that threatens it's own existence. That's how I read it. Also, in that context don't you think that being in that position imposes a responsibility to lesser beings and the planet,as a whole ?

It's moved on someway from my original post but that's sometimes how threads develop.

Surely, your comment re Fois Gras in response to Asha was a wind up ? We do some pretty nasty things to animals/birds and how Foie Gras is produced is up there at the top alongside bear bile extraction for so-called chinese traditional medicine and people don't have to be so-called animal lovers simply because they have regard to the welfare of of animals..in this case geese. I don't like the term 'animal lover' as it's often used to denigrate those who, in reality' don't 'love' animals but as I say, do care about their welfare. You've actually confirmed the derogatory nature of the term when you used it in a negative way by calling Mr. Badger. 'one of those animal-lover types' and likewise, your response to Tom Pinchenzo (post 15) you said" The Guardian is a very dubious news source that panders to leftie animal lovers'.

On that last comment . Animal lovers..as you appear to disparagingly call them..are not the preserve of the Left. The PM's fiancée ,Carrie Symonds,is patron of the Conservative Animal Welfare Foundation. It's believed that she's behind the imminent ban of the export of livestock post the transition period ending on the 31st. She champions animal welfare and. cons ervation. She's been involved in campaigns to stop the killing of Puffins in Iceland abd talking of Iceland,whaling too. She wants the ill- gotten gains of trophy hunters from the UK who travel,mainly but not exclusively to Africa to be banned from importing them. She's highlighted the way monkeys are used to climb trees and gather coconuts on an industrial scale. . She wants the Global wildlife trade brought to an end.

This is what wildlife campaigner,Dominic Dyer, said of her.

"The Carrie Symonds effect is strong, I would not underestimate her influence over these issues.” Johnson’s partner has worked for international charity Oceana, championed anti-whaling causes, and made a surprise appearance at this summer’s Birdfair, dubbed “the conservationists’ Glastonbury”. Dyer joined Symonds there and says she is among an influential new generation of women from within both the animal rights – and Conservative"

To get back to the Fois Gras issue,which,by the way, Carrie Symond's wants an import ban placed on it.

Would you take a minute to read this ? I assume when you ate it you were at least aware of the controversy about the forced-feeding but maybe not the detail,not that it needs spelling out to understand how distressing, at best and horrific at worst, it is. I can't understand how anyone can be properly aware of how Fois Gras is produced can still maintain that they..to quote you " love it"

I can see from responses in other threads that quite often posted links aren't read. so, from the article.

It starts..' Is anyone still eating the diseased livers of tormented birds'. Well, the answer to that is obviously yes because the UK imports 180-200 tons a year. Environmemt Minister, George Eustace has said they will looking at a ban post the Brexit transition period.

The production of Fois Gras involves intentionally inducing a painful debilitating illness in healthy young animals . Workers roughly grab the necks if weeks-old geese and shove a metal tube down their throats through which they force-feed the birds up to three times a day.' This eventually enlarges their livers by 600%.. 10 times normal..

The geese are forced-fed 2kgs of grain a day. Eye-witness investigators have found that the geese become so ill they can't stand up and that's on premises that are considered to be high welfare. Sounds like a contradiction of terms to me.

Regarding the damage inflicted by humans on invertebrates it's amounted to,since the 16th century, the extinction of 680 species. .A 2019 report shows that a million animal and plant species are under threat of extinction. We're destroying eco systems and the ravage of the essential rain forests go on unabated .When Asha said "We're supposedly the most intelligent species..etc. you took him literally going on to say that animals can't make fire,we can. It's clear it wasn't meant to taken literally but to point out that how can the most intelligent species do such stupid, reckless even, things that threatens it's own existence. That's how I read it. Also, in that context don't you think that being in that position imposes a responsibility to lesser beings and the planet,as a whole ?

I am fully aware of it but it is delicious so yes I love it. And the independent is another lefty rag I wouldn't even wipe my bum with.

Last edited:
There are wolves in Spain & Italy, not sure about Switzerland & France but all cover huge distances sometimes so there is an obvious problem of these Grey Wolves interbreeding with the European Wolves which would be reason enough to shoot them on conservation grounds -- the Grey Wolf is not rare everywhere.

Thankfully nothing came of that nonsense. Deer can be easily controlled by humans, with rifles if need be - they are not a dangerous animal or species to co-exist with either even if the numbers go up.

Introducing bears and wolves is lethal and a very bad idea.
You obviously are completely ignorant on this subject so I recommend you look up the effect of the reintroduction of wolves on deer etc in Yellowstone National Park. It’s more complex and more interesting than you think :(.

You obviously are completely ignorant on this subject so I recommend you look up the effect of the reintroduction of wolves on deer etc in Yellowstone National Park. It’s more complex and more interesting than you think :(.

More importantly look up the effect of wolves on people - not many attacks but enough to pose enough concern to say they are a bad idea. Any large apex predator is and total elimination of them IMHO is the only way to ensure complete safety of human life in remote places. Deer numbers - really couldn't give a rat's ass about - they're totally safe and harmless to human life and we can co-exist with them fine and shoot the odd one or two for fun or for dinner.

Just wait until the wolves start killing off livestock - it is a serious issue. Indeed Bears were introduced to the Pyrenees and the farmers are up in arms about it - as there have been several occasions of sheep chased off mountain edges. Thankfully the French have more guts and just shot one of the bears as enough was enough. These decisions to introduce these dangerous beasts are made by left leaning, woke impressionable urban politicians

Where are you getting your information from?

Where are you getting your information from?
The Internet. Its amazing what's out there in local news outlets. Start with searching bear attack pyrenees and you'll find several cases of live stock been killed, farmers are up in arms about it and a hiker attacked in Lescun. My view - total extermination is the only way.

It is a shame they cannot be captured but you cannot have wolves roaming wild - the risk to human life and livestock is too great.
My view - total extermination is the only way.

Why not? We've already exterminated most of the other land mammals we don't farm to eat.

Estimations-of-the-total-global-biomass-organically-bound-carbon-regarding-humans-wild.png

One recent estimate of land mammal biomass puts humans at 36%, livestock at 60%, and everything else at 4%. Troll biomass was not reported.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back