woof woof

I like a nice Chianti
Name
Alan
Edit My Images
No
Week 17 - Hole.

pftjC65.jpg

Don't worry too much. She's forever pointing her phone or tablet at me and taking photos and vids and when she's chatting with family and friends on a device she points them at me if I want to be included or not so whatever I do is only partial payback. And yes, she's seen the picture :D

Thank you but I might not be able to post anything this week as mornings and evenings are a problem for me.

Week 18, mono sunrise.

I didn't think I'd be able to take part this week as it's difficult for me to get out for sunrise or sunset but at "I should still be asleep" o'clock this morning I was woken up and I looked out of the window.

Taken through glass, converted to B&W in Nik Silver Effex and then made into what I hope is sepia in Nik Analogue Effex.

pkA8O18.jpg

When I saw this it made me think of troubles elsewhere in the world and thankful that the rising columns of smoke in the dawn light here not caused by Russians and are just from the chemical plant. It looked a bit foreboding though.

Last edited:
I like it. The monochrome (sepia) treatment does give it atmosphere.
I was not sure about doing a monochrome for this weeks theme so stuck with colour.

When I saw this it made me think of troubles elsewhere in the world and thankful that the rising columns of smoke in the dawn light here not caused by Russians and are just from the chemical plant. It looked a bit foreboding though.

Exactly what I thought on first seeing it ! I would have never thought of monochrome for such shots now I have to have ago !

Thank you guys.

I didn't think I was going to get anything for this week as it's difficult for me to be out early or late so I took the chance to take this though the window when I was woken up.

Looks like a missile just hit in the distance!

Yes, that was the point of the picture with the column of smoke in the centre and two or three more to the left.

It's a common enough sight here and maybe even mild compared to when there's a big flare stack. When a flare is particularly big the sky pulses orange and it's visible through drawn blinds. It's maybe more alien invasion than Russian cruise missiles. For those who've never been near industrial activity like that, when you stand near a flare stack the noise is incredible and you can even hear it indoors from where we live. I can't say that it ever frightened me when I used to go into the plant (I didn't work there, I just visited to fix their computers) but I can see how some would be unnerved.

It's got character, a gritty dawn worthy of a Monday morning as you realise you have to go to work (at least that's how I remember Mondays when I worked).

Thank you Peter. In my case I was woken up by someone who was a bit confused and needed a bit of help and comfort so I got an early start to the day. I added what I thought was an older picture look in Nik filters.

It does look foreboding and I can see where you are coming from with the reference to the war. I had thought it was a bonfire until you said, or maybe somebody's central heating plume of steam. Fits theme and technique nicely.

It does remind me of very old photographs, so they got the right nae for the filter :)

Thank you.

I tend to play with the older look and sometimes get something I'm happy with, I'm less happy with this one but I'm glad people can see what I was trying to do. It's a bit too sharp and I should have toned that down, that's modern kit for you... sharp.

I think the chemical works plays on my mind as our bedroom faces it and I often see the pulsing glow from the flare stacks though the blinds and of course I often see the rising columns when I look out. This may explain why I often have unsettling dreams about war and why that was my first thought when I looked out and saw this scene.

Thanks Helen, that's what was going through my mind. How lucky we are.

I didn't think I could take part this week and so far I haven't been able to snap anything sport related so I'll give up and post an older shot.

Sport at home.

e0zwB18.jpg

Kind of a cool high key image Alan. I like the pop of orange against the grey shirt.

Thank you Bill :D Nice of you to comment.

The window behind her faces east and of course the sun can be bright in the morning so I really had no choice other than to let large areas blow but some of the look is also down to taste :D

Last edited:
Thank you Bill :D Nice of you to comment.

The window behind her faces east and of course the sun can be bright in the morning so I really had no choice other than to let large areas blow but some of the look is also down to taste :D
Hey Alan, just a heads up. If you use the quote button in message that you're answering (1652758197563.png) it will send the recipient a message that you've commented on their comment.

Having said that, sometimes it's okay to have areas in an image blown out, it can give an image (like this one) and interesting look. I like how it turned out.

The blown out, high key look works great here, and the depth created by the OOF foreground against the sharp face.

High key suits this Alan. Focus on her face works too.
The blown out, high key look works great here, and the depth created by the OOF foreground against the sharp face.

Thanks guys. I took a series of maybe 6 pictures but this was the only one I could use as unfortunately I missed how much leg she was showing and how immodest the end result could look :oops: :$ I should have really considered that and the angle the picture was taken from but of course I was a bit stuck as I wanted that framing with the handlebars and her hands in shot and of course I didn't want her to pose so the leg movement and position were as they were in action.

If I ever take pictures like that again I'll try and remember and learn from this.

Last edited:
Nice eye contact and I agree with Pete, the depth of field works well.

It's perfect for the theme, but I am wondering why you used an older shot if you still have the bike - especially as you mention a few things you learnt from when you took this shot. It sounds like a perfect opportunity to have another go :)

Nice eye contact and I agree with Pete, the depth of field works well.

It's perfect for the theme, but I am wondering why you used an older shot if you still have the bike - especially as you mention a few things you learnt from when you took this shot. It sounds like a perfect opportunity to have another go :)

It's just that there's been a bit of a change on her part and practicalities really. She used to exercise as soon as she got up but now she meditates first and exercises after that and as I/we look after my mam who's 93 and needs quite a bit of help when she's on the bike now I'm down stairs doing breakfast and sorting mam out.

It's just that there's been a bit of a change on her part and practicalities really. She used to exercise as soon as she got up but now she meditates first and exercises after that and as I/we look after my mam who's 93 and needs quite a bit of help when she's on the bike now I'm down stairs doing breakfast and sorting mam out.
ah I'll let you off then :LOL: Perhaps you can have a special session one evening. I've never been a fan of early morning exercise.

We've got a rowing machine and I had a go at doing some slow exposure shots. I always meant to have another go, but have never got round to it. I did consider it for this week, but my OH is having a rest from it at the moment as his back is playing up. One day!

ah I'll let you off then :LOL: Perhaps you can have a special session one evening. I've never been a fan of early morning exercise.

We've got a rowing machine and I had a go at doing some slow exposure shots. I always meant to have another go, but have never got round to it. I did consider it for this week, but my OH is having a rest from it at the moment as his back is playing up. One day!

As I said above, the main thing to learn is that I'll have to watch the shooting angle and maintain some modesty in the shot :D

Near home there's a disused railway line called "The Lines" which now consists of a rough path with trees and bushes on each side and there's some rough ground beyond. I love to walk here. It's just yards from home but it's quiet and I love to listen to the birds singing and look at the trees, bushes, leaves, butterflies and wild flowers and when they're ready we pick wild raspberries and brambles here.

We often walk to the shops along this route and we have the choice of going to the local high street in one direction or the industrial / retail estate in the other. This picture is of the footbridge over the road at the high street. Go down and in a couple of minutes you're at the high street shops, go over and you can carry on walking to Flats Lane Country Park and the foot of Eston Hills.

vIXHaF1.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice Alan. You've managed parallel in perpendicular directions too! I like the leading lines.

Thanks.

I've been trying to take a picture of this I'm happy with for some time, I took this one yesterday, but it's difficult as the light is often harsh and the sky easy to blow. I think I need a camera with about a zillion stops of dynamic range :D

I have a bit of a thing about transitions and bridges are in that as they link and allow movement from one place to another so I have a lot of pictures of them. Sometimes I over think things :D

Last edited:
I am a fan of paths and bridges as well Alan, I think you're right about the harsh light, I can see it washing out the end of the bridge. I love the story that you added to the image, it adds context and some depth to the shot. I made me feel more connected to why you wanted to take the shot in the first place.

I am a fan of paths and bridges as well Alan, I think you're right about the harsh light, I can see it washing out the end of the bridge. I love the story that you added to the image, it adds context and some depth to the shot. I made me feel more connected to why you wanted to take the shot in the first place.

The light is always challenging here both because of the low northern sun and the differences between the shadow of the tress and bushes and the light beyond but in this case there's also a bit of artistic licence because as the bridge leads upward the light becomes brighter along the path to the top and I/some could see this as a transition from the shadows and into the light in a more spiritual sense. As I said, I sometimes over think things :D

Back