Wornish's - 52 in 2021 Week 52 - Showcase

Nice idea for the living theme... I agree the chair could be higher in the frame to include the legs.
Second on the still life for me too. The colour, texture and reflections work well.

Prefer the "St Clements" shot - the first one is nearly there - unfortunately the bowl was just a little too far back on the table and the rim bisected the arc of the table - also, frankly the radiator didn't do it any favours...

The thing is, with a still life, you're building the entire image, so you get to ensure that stuff like that doesn't happen - when you don't habitually shoot this way, and instead normally shoot "found objects or scenes" sometimes you have to put up with that kind of thing, but with still life, you've got total control...

I like the detail in the earrings, nice use of DOF too.

Week 51: Seasonal

My first choice for this week. Great view of our neighbour's lights.

Seasonal-4.jpg

Another option

Seasonal-2-PC.jpg

Last edited:
That's a great shot and the neighbours lights add that final touch!
I wish my living room was as neat and tidy!

Really nice exposure. Warm and cosy inside, but still capturing the neighbours lights.

Seasonal certainly hits the spot. It looks very cosy and festive.

Week 52: Showcase , Composite

This is my favourite image of 2021.

It took me many attempts over almost a year to get an image of Jupiter that was clear and showed the Great Red Spot. I used a technique known as lucky imaging but my luck just wasn't in. Even when the clouds were being kind (i.e. gone away) the atmospheric disturbance made it virtually impossible to get a clear image. Eventually one clear night last September I got something I was happy with.

This image is actually a composite. Its a stack of the best 44% of 25,000 frames taken with my ZWO ASI 290MC camera on my Celestron scope.

2021-09-06_Jup_44pc25Kfr copy.jpg

Amazing image David (y)

Twenty five thousand?!? :runaway:

What's the white bit off to the right?

Amazing image and something to be proud of! (wanders off muttering about the insanity/dedication required to shoot 25,000 images to get 1)

Twenty five thousand?!? :runaway:

What's the white bit off to the right?

Amazing image and something to be proud of! (wanders off muttering about the insanity/dedication required to shoot 25,000 images to get 1)
It's not as bad as sounds, but you do need patience.

The camera is very sensitive and actually takes high-speed video, each frame in this image was about 9 millisecond exposure time so the whole 25,000 frames took under 4 minutes to run. Because Jupiter rotates quite fast you cant go beyond about 5 minutes total time or the image stack will be blurred.

The clever stuff of extracting and assessing the quality of each frame and stacking only the best ones was done in software called Autostakkert which is free. It certainly makes your computer work hard. Once the stacked composite image is done then another piece of free software Registax is used to sharpen the image using wavelet sharpening. Good fun if and when it all comes together.

The white bit to the right is one of Jupiter's moons. I think it's Europa, there is another one just a bit further right that's just out of the frame in this shot. Jupiter has 53 named moons and another 26 awaiting official names. As of 2020, scientists now think Jupiter has 79 moons!

Last edited:
Excellent image. I've tried a few Astro shots and I know how tricky it can be. This is a lovely image!
Happy New Year!

An excellent image of Jupiter. I have a 10" Dobsonian so no fancy pictures from me.

Well done completing the 2021 52.

Wow is all I can say. Superb image and well done on your patience.
An excellent image of Jupiter. I have a 10" Dobsonian so no fancy pictures from me.

Well done completing the 2021 52.
Thanks. I only discovered the 52 in 2021 very late so it was a kind of practice for me.
This site is the most supportive, positive and active I have found.
Hoping to make a go of the 52 in 2022.

What an amazing showcase image - you could say out of this world. Seriously though, that is a real showstopper.
Well done on finishing the 52.

Back