Would appreciate some tripod advice.

simon ess

Just call me Roxanne.
Edit My Images
No
I'd like to get a lightweight, very portable tripod that will hold my Bronica SQ-B.

What would you suggest?

@Andysnap what was that carbon jobbie you had at Beeston?

Looked like it might be ideal.

Hi Simon, its a Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01. It was only about £30 and it's pretty lightweight and sturdy and packs down very small.

How heavy is a Bronny? I got a calumet tripod, manfrotto compatible, it's was about £80 but it has a strong head to hold the RB67 enormous bulk... Weighs a ton though.

The Bronny is just about 1.5kilo.

I already have a Redsnapper tripod but I rarely use it because of its weight and size.

Lightweight and small is what I want, but needs to be strong enough too.

The maximum safe payload for the Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01 is 1.5Kg, so you'd be at limit with your Bronica kit.

It takes my Mamiya C330f and 180mm lens, which weigh slightly over 2kg, with ease. However, they sit squarely over the centre point of the tripod, the Bronny due to its design may not sit as well.

Just a tip

Extend the tripod to max height with camera on top and check for stability, even shutter slap on a weak tripod will move the camera let alone a breeze

Just a tip

Extend the tripod to max height with camera on top and check for stability, even shutter slap on a weak tripod will move the camera let alone a breeze

And another tip is to hang a weight on the cross bracing of the tripod legs...h'mm defeats the point really as you have to carry some heavy object like a brick and use a tougher tripod to take the overall weight :rolleyes:

Most of the time I carry a tripod, it's strapped to a suitable weight to dangle off the bottom of the tripod - a camera bag! Mirror slap can be reduced (or even negated) by a beanbag over the camera to damp the vibrations.

I have a couple of CF tripods - a Manfrotto 190 and a Giottos Vitruvian. The Giottos is very lightweight and plenty sturdy enough for FF Nikon kit with fast zooms and the Manfrotto is significantly lighter than its alloy equivalent and equally sturdy. Neither was particularly cheap though...

Thanks for the input everyone.

Not really comfortable about being on the edge of max. payload.

Although a lot more expensive, perhaps this one would be the better option.

Any alternatives?

Mirror slap can be reduced (or even negated) by a beanbag over the camera to damp the vibrations.

The Bronica SQ-B has mirror lock up and leaf shutters, so mirror slap or vibrations shouldn't be a problem for the OP.

Sorry Nod, I missed the mirror slap reference.

skysh4rk is absolutely right. I use mirror lock up when on a tripod.

My reply was partly in response to Bazza's reference to mirror/shutter slap.;)

Rest of the advice still stands.

Back