Beginner Would this be any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sony Cyber Shot W800 on eBay

I'm about to buy the above on eBay, I just wondered if you guys could tell me if it's worth the 25 quid?
You can get it new for around £70. Budget a fiver for a charge cable, or about £25 for an external charger. £25 isn’t a lot of money, so if you’re looking for something in that price range it’s probably not bad. But you don’t know the condition, so that’s a risk which is your choice.

No. You can buy this sort of camera for around £10.00 in most charity shops and that will include the charger etc.

I'm about to buy the above on eBay, I just wondered if you guys could tell me if it's worth the 25 quid?
stop buying old point and shoot cameras on ebay. It won't be any good. I keep seeing your threads pop up.

Put and ad on here in the wanted section, explain what you want to achieve and someone will have something to sell you im sure.

I agree with Trevor: £25 seems far too much for that item.

Reactions: Sky
It MIGHT be adequate, but isn't IMO worth £15 let alone nearly £30 (don't forget the postage!)

The old adage of buy cheap buy twice seems fitting here. You can find good second hand kit thats available for a song, but thats not it

It MIGHT be adequate, but isn't IMO worth £15 let alone nearly £30 (don't forget the postage!)
I'm with this plus you have to sort a charger if it's not usb charged.
You also don't know how old the battery is or if it holds a charge.
If you add charger/cable/battery (if needed) it would probably cost the same as a new P&S.

This is another sony memory stick camera, better to get one that takes an sd card.

stop buying old point and shoot cameras on ebay. It won't be any good. I keep seeing your threads pop up.

Put and ad on here in the wanted section, explain what you want to achieve and someone will have something to sell you im sure.
Do this!

I don't know if you have access to the classified but this would be miles better than what you are considering

Unfortunately, Rich is yet to qualify for the Market Place

Unfortunately, Rich is yet to qualify for the Market Place
Seems like a case for bending the rules slightly though none of my business!

Your current camera:
- Canon SX20 IS (from 2009)
- 12.1 mp (4000 x 3000 pixels)
- 20x optical zoom (28-560mm)
got 73% rating by DPReview in 2009

I'd want a replacement to be similar in specs or better as well as newer.

Your camera is a bridge camera which means it generally has a better quality lens than a compact.

If you like that camera, then there are newer versions in the Canon range which do the same thing such as the SX430 which seem to regularly sell for around £ 75 on Ebay.

DPReview is pretty good for getting camera reviews.

Last edited:
In defence, the W800 DOES take SD as well as Memory Stick. :) Probably the only thing in its favour.

If so, then here is a later version possibly for less (£9 bid) and a reputable seller — but still no charger and battery untested:

Bend the rules for one, you have to bend them for all. It's a slippery slope.
I had a boss once who pinned a note up behind his desk...

"If you have a rule that everyone has to break to get the job done - change it.
If you have a rule that only one person breaks - change him!"​

I had a boss once who pinned a note up behind his desk...

"If you have a rule that everyone has to break to get the job done - change it.
If you have a rule that only one person breaks - change him!"​
I have a rule that it’s OK to break a rule provided you know the rule and can justify breaking it it — no set of rules can cover every eventuality.

'You are Dominic Cummings and I claim my £5.'
There is a sort of parallel with him — I came to this view while operating a set of rules that I had myself designed, or at least adapted :(.

is it really that much better than a phone camera? Personally, i'd keep the money aside and save a little more until you've done some more research
It probably is better than my camera's phone, but mine is an antique Nokia with only a 2MP camera...
Many modern cameras will beat a typical point & shoot easily.

Remember that the OP has a very tight budget and is keen to get going on what he can afford to spend now. Something is better than nothing.

One of the best old compact choices (IMO) is the Panasonic LXx range as although they don't have a VF they can shoot raw and have full manual control so despite not being responsive in use you can pre focus or go zone or hyperfocal and capture action.

I wouldn't recommend one for the OP though, personally I think he should save his pennies and when the piggy bank is full go for a used mirrorless MFT or APS-C option.

One of the best old compact choices (IMO) is the Panasonic LXx range as although they don't have a VF they can shoot raw and have full manual control so despite not being responsive in use you can pre focus or go zone or hyperfocal and capture action.
I have an LX100 mark 1 and it has a viewfinder :) Superb camera.

I have an LX100 mark 1 and it has a viewfinder :) Superb camera.

I was thinking of the older small sensor compacts like the LX2 and LX5 I had. I always had a soft spot for the LX2 as it had that interesting multi aspect ratio sensor. I didn't think the LX5 I bought later moved image quality on much, if at all.

Isn’t the lx100 near enough identical to the Leica D-lux? Except Leica wants double the money even now, on the used market.

Isn’t the lx100 near enough identical to the Leica D-lux? Except Leica wants double the money even now, on the used market.

Yes. Leica have done a number of rejigged Panasonic cameras. Personally, I don't see the point but some people are willing to pay the extra for the Leica badge. There were I think a number of advantages as as far as I remember with some of these Leica gave a longer warranty and some free software but even adding those things in doesn't fully explain the difference in price. The Panasonic LX5 was also the Leica D-Lux5.

Last edited:
The OP hasn't been back since 1.08pm Tuesday. I think it's a wind up.

Yes. Leica have done a number of rejigged Panasonic cameras.
Leica have bought in technology since 1973 when the original CL and R3 were built for them by Minolta.

The OP hasn't been back since 1.08pm Tuesday. I think it's a wind up.
I thought so too originally but if you read all his posts and check out his “website” I think you will decide he’s genuine. But it’s obviously very difficult to give him useful advice.

I thought so too originally but if you read all his posts and check out his “website” I think you will decide he’s genuine. But it’s obviously very difficult to give him useful advice.
Yes, unfortunately he seems not to read, or at least act on, all our well-meant suggestions.

He listens to his "photography expert" though.

Leica have bought in technology since 1973 when the original CL and R3 were built for them by Minolta.
It's not just "buying in technology." The kit is made by Panasonic, it's just in a different case and box.

no set of rules can cover every eventuality.

30 days membership and 26 meaningful posts for access..
Its a specific rule, that is automated, are you going to tell @Server Hamster she is wrong?
We still haven't found the last person that did that :(

Bend the rules for one, you have to bend them for all. It's a slippery slope.
Exactly (y)

30 days membership and 26 meaningful posts for access..
Its a specific rule, that is automated, are you going to tell @Server Hamster she is wrong?
We still haven't found the last person that did that :(

Exactly (y)
As I said, none of my business! I did think it might be automated although your reply raises the question of how it decides “meaningful”! Possibly this mechanism could be applied to all “un-meaningfull” posts thus cutting down on server time and expense :LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back