Beginner Would this be any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
although your reply raises the question of how it decides “meaningful”
If its spotted, the likes of 26 "nice shot" posted as the person reaches the 30 days are reduced dramatically,
Yes it happens..

Nice post... :p

Yes. Leica have done a number of rejigged Panasonic cameras. Personally, I don't see the point but some people are willing to pay the extra for the Leica badge. There were I think a number of advantages as as far as I remember with some of these Leica gave a longer warranty and some free software but even adding those things in doesn't fully explain the difference in price. The Panasonic LX5 was also the Leica D-Lux5.
I'm one of those. Don't ask why...!

I just don't get it... I do see the appeal of real Leica's and especially the RF's but buying a rebadged Panasonic at an inflated price when you know that's what it is? But it's your money and as always I wish you luck.

I just don't get it... I do see the appeal of real Leica's and especially the RF's but buying a rebadged Panasonic at an inflated price when you know that's what it is? But it's your money and as always I wish you luck.
Funnily enough, my (used) LX100 came with the name “Lumix” taped over. I wonder if the previous owner was pretending it was a Leica Dlux 109?:D

I know what you mean. I have never bought one brand new.. and you’re totally right aboht then just being rebadged. I barley use the v Lux (got the 114 and the older 4) but I’ve got a soft spot for the battered X113 I’ve got; bought it around 3 years ago on the streets of NYC!

I do see the appeal of real Leica's
Rebranding is at the core of what Leica is many of film cameras including rangefinders were rebranded Minoltas. Leica's marketing department have proven they are very proficient at targeting and selling of rebranded cameras.

I have a bid going on eBay for a Sony W800, and up to now I'm winning, £56.80 with £3.20 postage, rounds up to £60. Seller's got perfect feedback at 100% positive.

I have a bid going on eBay for a Sony W800, and up to now I'm winning, £56.80 with £3.20 postage, rounds up to £60. Seller's got perfect feedback at 100% positive.
The one you posted originally is still for sale on eBay at £23. Why in gods name would you bid £56 for the same thing which is s***e anyway?

Argos have it for £70 brand new

BTW I have one that lives in my pocket to take snaps when I don't want to carry my Fuji and the battery life is not very good ( and that is being polite)

Look here

Last edited:
Why don’t you get an older DSLR as someone suggested earlier something like a canon 350D would take great pictures far better than an old compact and for the same money

sounds like a great idea, Good work

I look forward to the new post asking what sort of potato you should buy next.

Prompted by all this I had a look at evil bay and saw a couple of Canon 10D's at tempting prices.

I'd rather save up and go for either a Panasonic GX80 or Sony A6000 and both can be found used around £200. For a lens I'd start with a cheap film era 28mm f2.8 and adapter or save up for one of the cheaper native mount lenses. So, the bill would come somewhere between £200-£300 which is substantially more than the cheapest old DSLR's but IMO the bump up in image quality and features would be worth it.

Richard.

Please take note of the advice you are being given here. Throwing ever more money at these old compacts is IMO pointless and a waste of both time and money.

I'd rather save up and go for either a Panasonic GX80 or Sony A6000 and both can be found used around £200
It's always the same, just a few more quid and I can afford XXX
As he seems to be stuck with circa 60 quid, there are plenty for sale under that price, and a safer bet than the bay of evil

It's always the same, just a few more quid and I can afford XXX
As he seems to be stuck with circa 60 quid, there are plenty for sale under that price, and a safer bet than the bay of evil

Fair point but after being able to shoot at stratospheric ISO's with WYSIWYG and eye detect the likes of early DSLR's and their limitations seem a bit last century.

Fair point but after being able to shoot at stratospheric ISO's with WYSIWYG and eye detect the likes of early DSLR's and their limitations seem a bit last century.
As do a lot of camera's compared to all the recent advances in mirrorless, But I can't justify 5K for a camera, probably the same was that he can't justify more than £60 for one

Last edited:
Looking at the latest releases I think there's a case for saying that image quality has plateaued or at least if it is moving forward it's doing it in decimal point increments. Newer cameras now do offer improvements in speed and focusing and bells and whistles though and the latest lenses are IMO a definite step forward, I don't think we've seen this level of lens quality at numerous price and quality points before.

or as others have said, get a brand new one in a sealed box from Argos for £ 69.99.

Plenty of advice given here and in your other threads which all seems to be being ignored. People will stop bothering soon.

or as others have said, get a brand new one in a sealed box from Argos for £ 69.99.

Plenty of advice given here and in your other threads which all seems to be being ignored. People will stop bothering soon.
But you must admit he’s got a knack of keeping a thread going by absence.

Argos have it for £70 brand new

BTW I have one that lives in my pocket to take snaps when I don't want to carry my Fuji and the battery life is not very good ( and that is being polite)

Look here

I looked on Argos for one this morning, no stock for click and collect or delivery.

Ricoh are a good make for compact digital cameras. I've owned 2 in the past. My father still uses one.

I've just had an offer from the seller of the original link he posted for £20 to buy that one.

I am totally out of digital cameras otherwise I would send one to Richard gratis. I have a few film ones but that would be a move in the wrong direction.

Does anyone have something on the shelf that would be better than what he is bidding on and are willing just to pass it on?

I am totally out of digital cameras otherwise I would send one to Richard gratis. I have a few film ones but that would be a move in the wrong direction.

Does anyone have something on the shelf that would be better than what he is bidding on and are willing just to pass it on?
I honestly looked at Nikon d3000s on eBay to buy him, but with a lens it’s like £150+ and for stranger that’s a bit rich for me.

Last edited:
I have found it listed here for £69.99

Ooops! scratch that.....listed as temporarily out of stock, sorry :coat:

Not a huge amount more than buying an "unknown" one on an auction site!
It doesn't matter anyway, about an hour and half ago I won a W800 for £58 on eBay.

I was winning right up to almost literally the last few seconds, someone outdid me, so I put a rival bid in for about 2 quid more, 5 seconds later I won! Yay! Go me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back