Would you pay....

S

stepheno

......£316 for a second hand 75-300 IS USM on Ebay. I'm not thinking of bidding but I have been looking at the 70-300 IS USM which is new, with warranty, at £369 at Warehouse Express.

My view is that I'd rather pay the bit extra for new with warranty OR, am I missing something here :ponders:

regards

Same here - TBH Ebays a joke these days, mostly inhabited by those who assume its on ebay so it must be a bargain (and dont know the true value anyhow). Its very rare to see a true bargain on there these days.

I'd rather have new and a warranty - would even be better to buy from Hong Kong if you really want to save a bit.

There are still a few bargains but not enough to justify the risk usually.

I'm finding the For Sale sections of forums usually tend to offer a better deal for buying.

dod said:
I'm finding the For Sale sections of forums usually tend to offer a better deal for buying.

Got to agree - got a brilliant Canon 85mm f1.8 USM from Busterboy on this very forum just under a month ago, in absolute mint condition (box included).

Thanks for confirming that I'm not going doolally. I think you are right - the days of the true bargains have gone.

regards

i have my own rule for ebay which i try and stick to as much as i can

NEVER GO OVER HALF THE HIGHSTREET PRICE........unless

i really want it :doh: and i'm still saving hundreds from the new price;) in the highstreet, and i include online retailers to,

as for the listing above......no i wouldnt buy the ebay one, i would wait , or buy a new one from a retailer

MyPix

Seems a fairly good ROT, MyPix. I was surprised even when it started creeping up the two hundreds. At that closing bid, brand new has got to be worth the extra for the warranty.

regards

I only tend to buy little rubbishy things off ebay that I can't get in shops near me, joke presents and the like. For electronics I find some amazon market place sellers have some reasonable prices. Did consider buying the minolta 7d (I like the anti-shake feature and was going to pray sony do something with the rights they've bought) off warehouse express and flogging the "free" battery grip on ebay to recoup some of the cost ...... decided to hold off on the move to DSLR until I've actually mastered my current cam :embarasse

i have bought all of my photographic kit from ebay in the last year,
i saved £250 on the Nikon D70, i got all my lenses for half price or less , including the 50-500 i got the other week for £369 ,

even the manfrotto 055 proB tripod + 322RC2 head i got all in with a £60 saving,

there are savings to be had, experience gives confidence and the abitlity to know if a sale might be bogus,

i personally have feedback of 572 atm , i like ebay and will continue to use it as long as it saves me money

its a tool, use it as such and dont be afraid of it....

MyPix

Was hunting around Ebay for a Saxophone for my son & found a shop in Brighton that had regular auctions starting @ 99p or buy-now @ £159.99. I tried bidding in 3 auctions with my limit set to £140 & watched in astonishment as each auction passed the £160 mark , one even hitting £180.

It's idiots like them that lose the bargains for us deserving people :)

sometimes you may find that the price jumps artifically high at the last minute, usually this is 'a friend' or 'known by' the seller who want just a bit more for their products.

yeah I know ppl who have multiple accounts and bid on their own stuff to hike the price. Last second bidding or if you can find them cheap buy it now auctions are the only ways to go

I do use Ebay but only as an alternative to the High St not a total substitute. If I'm buying big (like my camera) I'll go to a real shop and then I can return any faulty items and throttle them if necessary :nunu: I've only had nineteen transactions in two years and the most expensive was £100. But I've always gone for items where I'm saving at least one third on the cheapest new.

As Gemok has said I also, usually, go for cheaper end items like remote cord, memory cards. Most expensive was a Billingham bag I got for £100 which retails on WEx for £165. If I can get bargains like that I will use them.

regards

Back