wow

Edit My Images
No
we haven't had a thread locked in fusty and crusty for ages ,,,,,,,,,in fact the last one that was locked was started by ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,oh The Big Yin :D
heres to the next one

Could be this one as well :eek:...bit over the top talking about ignore buttons etc as if you are not interested in a thread or someone's post you just don't bother replying or getting involved :rolleyes:

.... walk on by da do do da do do, walk on by...etc.

Dionne Warwick...now what's that to do with photography....suspended :eek:

At one point there used to be something in the rules to the tune of 'if you use the ignore function, just use it. Don't shout about it, or you may find you don't need to be ignored by anyone else for a few days" (or at least words to that effect only less threateningly phrased...). It's not there now, But it is open to the interpretation of the staff as to if its against the spirit of the forum...

FWIW, around this forum, if I had the choice, there are a number of people that I'd definitely press the button on and never have to see another post by them - however, the option isn't really a valid one for staff... Can't say there's anyone in that number within the regulars of F&C however, which is why when I CHOOSE to spend time on the forum (as a member not a mod.) I tend to hang out here rather than the Bearpit Business Section...

It's also worth remembering that the final word in a thread can always be had by the staff, should they so wish.

Last edited:
Anyway, when did I have a thread closed.... Now I'm going to have to go looking for one.

... if you are not interested in a thread or someone's post you just don't bother replying or getting involved :rolleyes:

I believe you're deliberately misinterpreting the position in order to support your own point of view. Either that or you don't know what the word "interested" means.

I wouldn't post if I wasn't interested. The fact that someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they're not interested.

I hope that one day you'll be able to accept that sometimes people aren't going to agree with you. Not because they have a personal issue with you, not because they're being contrary just to annoy you and not because it's fun to disagree with people on the internet. Because in their opinion, you're wrong.

But then I doubt you'll even bother to read this because you're not interested in finding out what other people might have to say.

I accept that I'm only prolonging this nonsense and that I can use the forum functionality to tailor my experience and that I'm on a restricted rein and looking at the naughty step so I'll save you the effort. I'm suspending myself until Sunday evening, might actually get around to scanning something in the meantime.

I'm not pointing the finger at you at all with this Dean but there have been a few recent instances in F&C of posts being contrary, or at least too forceful in opinions about others or way of disagreeing. It is possible to disagree with someone without telling them that their opinions make no sense, or making personal taunts. What is usually a very polite part of TP, has definitely attracted a bit of this attitude of late, which is a shame in my opinion.

At one point there used to be something in the rules to the tune of 'if you use the ignore function, just use it. Don't shout about it, or you may find you don't need to be ignored by anyone else for a few days" (or at least words to that effect only less threateningly phrased...). It's not there now, But it is open to the interpretation of the staff as to if its against the spirit of the forum...

FWIW, around this forum, if I had the choice, there are a number of people that I'd definitely press the button on and never have to see another post by them - however, the option isn't really a valid one for staff... Can't say there's anyone in that number within the regulars of F&C however, which is why when I CHOOSE to spend time on the forum (as a member not a mod.) I tend to hang out here rather than the Bearpit Business Section...

It's also worth remembering that the final word in a thread can always be had by the staff, should they so wish.

Still Mark IMO it's treating the members as children and an insult when you (or somebody) locks a thread as there was no abusive language etc and ok maybe the thread wasn't going any where (well I still had to post my results of poor light which might have added some interest)... there are only a few threads that go on as members would have got bored and the "sad rant thread" would have died, but this wasn't allowed to go this way which is a puzzle. If the admin received any complaints from whiners, then all you do is give whiners power if a thread is locked because of them.... for no good reason accepted by the majority.

Yes, things would be so much easier if we could all just get along, or failing that remain civil in any disagreements. Believe me, it gives me no pleasure whatsoever to have to start behaving like a Moderator rather than just a member of the club... however, when threads degenerate into a circular argument with entrenched positions and personal insults start to be employed - yes, I will step in and close the thread after telling you all to behave yourselves.

As to referring to people who RTM problematic threads as "Whiners" - i'm afraid I really do have to take issue with that. This forum has a membership of over 60,000. At the moment there are 13 Mods and 3 Admins, all of which Moderators have day jobs (or their own companies to run) in addition to giving their time freely to help keep this place running. Put simply, we cannot be everywhere - at any time there's usually one or two of us online - sometimes more - very occasionally a lot more, but mostly under half a dozen. We simply cannot see every post thats made or every thread thats getting out of control. So, we rely, and encourage people to use the RTM function responsibly, and to be out eyes and ears when we're not there already. The fact is, however, in the thread we are referring to, i'd participated already, was in there checking as it was developing (as it was a car-crash waiting to happen from the first time someone posted saying words to the effect of "stop messing about and use digital") and had already warned that if the circular arguments continued to escalate the doors were going to close.

Perhaps it might also be time to mention that if you do have to question any moderation decision, the place to do so is via the contact us option, rather than in a open thread. Not because it means that it's "covered up" but quite the opposite - the contact us option goes into the staff room for all staff to see, and we then take a consensus view of things - so should I for example go rogue and start randomly banning people for making Roberts bring their Brandy before my Port, my fellow staff members will see this, and suggest I find a darkened room for a little lie down...

Last edited:
Well I know you have to take in the wider aspect on how you project the forum to the public, but if you are thinking the personal insults were directed at me, then I didn't mind as there was some truth in it for considering my shot was so important that others might have suffered but as I've said this have been going on for about 150 years so what has changed, there is always someone\thing you can annoy even if it's birds or sheep on a lonely mountainside taking shots.....well Mark I do rant on in some threads but that's the way I am. and apologise for not going the proper route to question a moderator's decision.

Last edited:
Oh my dear old chum... I can't for one moment imagine Roberts getting the order of drinks the wrong way around. Port with dinner and brandy and cigars in the library afterwards, when the ladies have retired to the Drawing Room.

Oh my dear old chum... I can't for one moment imagine Roberts getting the order of drinks the wrong way around. Port with dinner and brandy and cigars in the library afterwards, when the ladies have retired to the Drawing Room.

Ah but Andy, I'm off the Brandy on Quacks Orders... theres where the confusion lies... ;)

The thing is though Brian, and I think your last post proves this, you don't seem to know when to step away. You can do this on the internet, its not like we are locked in a room and when an argument/heated debate starts it has nowhere to run to so carries on, you can just ignore it. But you do seem to want to fan the flames and have the last word.
Its very difficult on line to tell what someone really thinks or how they want their words to be interpretted, emoticons do not really help, and I'm sure if we met you in the flesh most of these arguments and disagreements wouldn't happen but on line people cannot see the whites of your eyes so you have to be extremely careful of how you word things. I suspect my little light-hearted summation of your character in the now infamous 'closed thread' riled Dean, it was not meant to but when I re-read it I realised that I could have phrased it better, so the motto is think twice type once, re-read and adjust as necessary to make a light and fluffy mixture.

Andy

Anyone know when I last locked a thread in here btw? e

If Roberts would only show the ladies where the drawing room is... :sulk:

Ah but Andy, I'm off the Brandy on Quacks Orders... theres where the confusion lies... ;)

This is terrible news, quickly Roberts, fetch that man a Scotch.

Is that a euphemism?....:D I'm sure Roberts would never be so rude.

The thing is though Brian, and I think your last post proves this, you don't seem to know when to step away. You can do this on the internet, its not like we are locked in a room and when an argument/heated debate starts it has nowhere to run to so carries on, you can just ignore it. But you do seem to want to fan the flames and have the last word.
Its very difficult on line to tell what someone really thinks or how they want their words to be interpretted, emoticons do not really help, and I'm sure if we met you in the flesh most of these arguments and disagreements wouldn't happen but on line people cannot see the whites of your eyes so you have to be extremely careful of how you word things. I suspect my little light-hearted summation of your character in the now infamous 'closed thread' riled Dean, it was not meant to but when I re-read it I realised that I could have phrased it better, so the motto is think twice type once, re-read and adjust as necessary to make a light and fluffy mixture.

Andy

Well Andy the forum becomes boring if you only stick to one point and e.g. once an OP question has been answered then the thread dies unless there is some relevant side tracking (like this thread) which livens it up. Oh dear have I again got the last word in :eek:

Last edited:
Well Andy the forum becomes boring if you only stick to one point and e.g. once an OP question has been answered then the thread dies unless there is some relevant side tracking (like this thread) which livens it up.

So what you're saying is you do indeed purposely go out of your way to sidetrack threads and post comments for no other purpose than to generate a reaction?

Thanks for confirming what I've thought for a while.

So what you're saying is you do indeed purposely go out of your way to sidetrack threads and post comments for no other purpose than to generate a reaction?

Huh! It's human nature esp amongst politicians :eek:......so you have never side tracked (or wandered off the point) in any discussions amongst friends or on forums ?

Okay Paul - now I guess you know what to do, and won't need to post in this thread again.

Huh! It's human nature esp amongst politicians :eek:......so you have never side tracked (or wandered off the point) in any discussions amongst friends or on forums ?

Brian - I refer you to my comment to Paul as above.

Oh for god's sake don't start squabbling with each other again! This area is the oasis away from the loons out there.

The Voice of Sanity.

Please folks... Not again, you know there are at least 2 moderators following this thread. Play nice.

Last edited:

Why Paul? Why? You've just gone and done exactly what we moan at Brian about...... Step away from the thread... nothing to see here

Oh for god's sake don't start squabbling with each other again! This area is the oasis away from the loons out there.

Quite right Suz, keep the loons away, that's our motto.

I think I'll go and polish the aluminum on my motorbike...now that's side tracking :D:D:D

Of course you all do realise that sitting high on a hill in his Kentish castle Andy (Donut) is sniggering behind his hands like a naughty schoolboy...... Shame on you Andrew. :bat::D

well the op was intended to be a light hearted observation of the fact that its pretty good in here generally and that the last thread locked was started by Mark , ( not because of any fight or anything page 13 ) i just wish i was old enough to be a skoolboy again ! anyway i didnt expect a kind of spanish inquisition ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i mean nobo........................

well the op was intended to be a light hearted observation of the fact that its pretty good in here generally and that the last thread locked was started by Mark , ( not because of any fight or anything page 13 ) i just wish i was old enough to be a skoolboy again ! anyway i didnt expect a kind of spanish inquisition ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i mean nobo........................

There's a couple of threads by me that are locked - by me - in one case it's because it's just a fixed "info" thread with the various competitions on, another is something to do with the "film showcase" thread, and I basically changed how I was "flagging" the new additions, and started a new thread for it... closing the original was basically to stop people posting in the old one by mistake...

If there's a "normal" thread I've started that's been locked then it's a long time ago - I went back about 15 pages worth then lost the will to live :LOL:

(actually, it'd have to be from before I joined the "green team" otherwise i'd have just re-opened it (what good is power without the chance to abuse it occasionally (;)JK)

Does this mean Sir will not be requiring the reserve padlock this evening ?

Brilliant, utterly brilliant. And welcome aboard to the real Roberts.

Now, I'll have a brandy please Roberts.

oh no , and we all thought mr snap was a loony and there was no such person as roberts

oh no , and we all thought mr snap was a loony and there was no such person as roberts

Perhaps the two sections of your statement are not necessarily linked Sir...

If you are indeed the real Roberts then I am very glad to meet you. If however you are sir masquerading as the real Roberts and are in fact a charletan and a mountebank then I shall be forced, upon my honour, to unmask you and drive you from this venerable establishment and have you horse whipped along the main street and driven from the town in shame.

Captain Strangely-Brown

it would appear that you are in fact the real Roberts. Well done that man.

Anyone know when I last locked a thread in here btw? e

Drawing Room? Is that what we're calling the Gin Pit nowadays?

Back