Yashica Mat 124G

bastic

A star
Name
Lukas
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,
is this camera worth £150. perfect condition with 80mm lens.
please advise :)
Could be my step in to medium photography...
Thanks

I'm planning to sell my 124, it's the same as the G without the gold-plated battery contacts and I can't say I've noticed any difference.

It won't be £150 either ;)

I'm planning to sell my 124, it's the same as the G without the gold-plated battery contacts and I can't say I've noticed any difference.

It won't be £150 either ;)
£15 then ?
you've got a deal mister :D

The gold doesn't help composition and focus unfortunately Dean, you're probably best just selling it and buying a little digital p&s :LOL:

Well, I would but then we'd get in trouble for trading outside the classified section ;)

I'm in town right now, will stuck up an ad with photos when I'm home.

ok,pass me more details please.
I need to do more research on it ...
and your price ;)
after that we can create a thread in classfields:)

and I should add that I still haven't made my mind yet..just looking in to :)

Well, I would but then we'd get in trouble for trading outside the classified section ;)

I'm in town right now, will stuck up an ad with photos when I'm home.

Quite right, especially if a passing staff member who is auto-subscribed to every new thread in the film & conventional section were to see it... ;)

and I should add that I still haven't made my mind yet..just looking in to :)

No worries, I need to put up an ad anyway but I'll give you first refusal. I'm not sure of a price without doing some research of my own.

I'm in town to get a new phone so I'll get one with a million billion megapixels and that'll do the job :)
make sure you dont get the fruit one...

I paid £100 for my 124G on eBay, about 5 years ago, but then paid another £50 for two lots of repairs - which is a possibility with any old camera.

Looking at eBay sold prices, £150 seems to be near the top of the range. However, if you were able to buy from a local dealer with a guarantee and a recent service, then paying the extra might be reasonable under those circumstances.

I've had both a 124-G and a standard Yashica MAT and the only difference I really noticed was the built in meter on the 124-G. The handling of each was identical along with the size/weight so as a first TLR I'd suggest picking up a plain MAT which are normally around £60 and spend the rest on film/developing :0)

I paid a bit less than £60 for my MAT but bought it as a restoration camera. From what I remember, I think the 124-G was about £90-£100 so just keep an eye on eBay/gumtree.

124-G on Ektar 100

View attachment 12816

View attachment 12817

View attachment 12818

MAT on Provia

View attachment 12819

View attachment 12820

View attachment 12822

Cheers
Steve

If you're looking for a good value TLR, keep an eye out for a Minolta Autocord as well. They're very affordable, the Rokkor taking lens is sharp and contrasty, and it serves as a nice, lightweight alternative to medium format SLRs.

Some photographs from my own Autocord:

Nice camper.

If you're looking for a good value TLR, keep an eye out for a Minolta Autocord as well. They're very affordable, the Rokkor taking lens is sharp and contrasty, and it serves as a nice, lightweight alternative to medium format SLRs.

Some photographs from my own Autocord:

I want that Minolta !!!!

I want that Minolta !!!!

Yeah, they're very nice little cameras. I was seriously considering picking up a Rolleiflex a month or two back, but I've never been disappointed in the photographs from the Autocord, so I was able to talk myself out of it... until I can afford a Rolleiflex 2.8F anyway.

I love mine, especially as I paid $50 (yep dollars) + $16 shipping for it in almost mint condition. It did have a minor bit of fungus on the rear element (cleaned it off with white vinegar and a cotton bud, it's now immaculate).

Took this with it:

LNER Thomson B1 61264 by Ed Bray, on Flickr

Hmm, I'd been considering a tlr as smaller alternative to the rb and fully functional alternative to the dying Ikonta. I think I'll investigate this Minolta, maybe we should form a orderly queue at eBay so we don't start driving the prices up!

Does the Autocord focus by the lever underneath the taking lens?

guys, and how those cameras compare to mamiya c330 ?

The Autocord is MUCH lighter than a C330, and smaller, but doesn't have an interchangeable lens.

As it happens I have one that I was considering putting up in the classifieds, although it's not with me at the moment. If I make it to the Edinburgh meet (which I very much hope to) I'll bring it along.

Some HP5 shots on my Autocord are in this post. Exposure by sunny 16, and not the best processing, which may explain why they are not up to RJ's standards(as well as the difference in photographer skills, of course!). It is in Edinburgh and I'm not, but I may well put it on the classifieds as suggested above, once I'm re-united with it.

If you can find a nice Rolleicord V, they are a cracking camera. Very light, exceptional watch like 'mechanicals', mine will outlive me and with great glass. I have a flex and a cord and to be frank it is almost impossible to tell their respective images apart. The Flex has the edge wide open, that's all.

8562608935_1714978df8_z.jpg

11277139466_ec908bcf2a_z.jpg

11277145854_c5ae82c3ca_z.jpg

8583333114_aa1ab185bb_z.jpg

10697017304_79de8a520c_z.jpg

Last edited:
I have the 124G and agree it is a nice piece of gear,

The price your considering is possibly about right providing "perfect condition" equates to all being in good working order with no lens fungus etc.

If you can find a nice Rolleicord V, they are a cracking camera.

Agreed. I have a Rolleicord V and I think it has the best lens of all of my cameras (I also have a Rolleiflex). When I look at photographs with taken with the V, I wonder why I have any other cameras - and I do have a few!

Steve.

I suppose we can get caught up discussing the differences in these cameras, but there really isn't that much between these various TLRs with regard to image quality, ultimately. Whether you're using a Rolleiflex, Rolleicord, Autocord, or Yashicamat, the biggest factors in the look of your images will be your technique, your composition, your exposure, and the quality of your scanning/printing.

In fact, I think I'd be hard pressed to find much of a difference between my Autocord and SQ-A images, because I compose, meter, and scan the images from these in the exact same way (although there will be obvious differences in handling between these cameras given that one is a TLR and the other an SLR).

Last edited:
I suppose we can get caught up discussing the differences in these cameras, but there really isn't that much between these various TLRs with regard to image quality, ultimately. Whether you're using a Rolleiflex, Rolleicord, Autocord, or Yashicamat, the biggest factors in the look of your images will be your technique, your composition, your exposure, and the quality of your scanning/printing.

In fact, I think I'd be hard pressed to find much of a difference between my Autocord and SQ-A images, because I compose, meter, and scan the images from these in the exact same way (although there will be obvious differences in handling between these cameras given that one is a TLR and the other an SLR).

RJ, I completely agree. The thing that makes the greatest difference is who ever is holding the thing!

There are a lot of really great TLRs out there and as long as they are in good working order, have clear glass, light tight bodies and haven't been knocked out of alignment they will turn in great images.

Minolta Autocord prices seem to taken a hike recently as have the YashicaMat's (can't see what they are going for on this forum as still too new) and whilst I would like another YashicaMat, and still have film dev kit boxed and ready to use, it would essentially be a curio and prices at the moment are just too high.

View attachment 28298
YashicaMat 124G taken on the Swanage Railway line.

I suspect that the biggest differences between the quality of TLRs is between individual specimens rather than manufacturer and models - for example I've seen some really dirty and dull viewfinders in old Rolleiflex's. Being able to inspect the camera before purchase is a big advantage.

Now here's a Yashicamat image on Portra 160, for no reason other than I like it.

View attachment 28304

Drinishader on the Isle of Harris

Last edited:
I've been half watching the price of budget tlr in the last few months and concluded I'd rather get a better bag for the RB.

I've been half watching the price of budget tlr in the last few months and concluded I'd rather get a better bag for the RB.

A TLR might complement the RB67 quite nicely though. Many offer fantastic performance for the money while also being light, quiet, extremely charming, and completely unobtrusive. They're simply fantastic for travel.

Minolta Autocord prices seem to taken a hike recently as have the YashicaMat's (can't see what they are going for on this forum as still too new) and whilst I would like another YashicaMat, and still have film dev kit boxed and ready to use, it would essentially be a curio and prices at the moment are just too high.

The Rokkor lens on the Autocord is a really capable bit of glass and I find the camera to be well-balanced ergonomically, but many other TLRs, like your Yashicamat, are also capable of outstanding results, especially if you aren't planning to shoot wide open all of the time.

When I sold my first generation iPad a couple months back, I picked up a seventy-year-old WWII era Rolleiflex and even that—with its uncoated taking lens—is capable of great images. I've seen these go for very reasonable prices on eBay.

My Autocord, largely because of the lens coating, is probably better suited for most photographic situations, but the handling and operation of the Rolleiflex is so much smoother and it feels far more refined, even though it's 20 years older.

A few from the Rolleiflex Automat:

Last edited:
I sold the YashicaMat a few years ago with an Bronica SQ-B and three lens kit when deciding the hassle of film was just not worth it. However with the retrospectascope on full power it was the TLR that gave the most photo pleasure and satisfaction and that is the reason for wishing to return to the legion of film users. Selling the Yashica was a mistake, not a massive one but the reason for now looking for another one.

A TLR might complement the RB67 quite nicely though. Many offer fantastic performance for the money while also being light, quiet, extremely charming, and completely unobtrusive. They're simply fantastic for travel.

The Rokkor lens on the Autocord is a really capable bit of glass and I find the camera to be well-balanced ergonomically, but many other TLRs, like your Yashicamat, are also capable of outstanding results, especially if you aren't planning to shoot wide open all of the time.

When I sold my first generation iPad a couple months back, I picked up a seventy-year-old WWII era Rolleiflex and even that—with its uncoated taking lens—is capable of great images. I've seen these go for very reasonable prices on eBay.

My Autocord, largely because of the lens coating, is probably better suited for most photographic situations, but the handling and operation of the Rolleiflex is so much smoother and it feels far more refined, even though it's 20 years older.

A few from the Rolleiflex Automat:

Totally agree they've just gone a little out of budget at the moment. I kind of wish I'd got one a couple of years ago instead of the Moskva, I like a folder but they're either much more expensive for a good sharp one or the budget ones aren't as good quality as a tlr.

I sold the YashicaMat a few years ago with an Bronica SQ-B and three lens kit when deciding the hassle of film was just not worth it. However with the retrospectascope on full power it was the TLR that gave the most photo pleasure and satisfaction and that is the reason for wishing to return to the legion of film users. Selling the Yashica was a mistake, not a massive one but the reason for now looking for another one.

Ahhh, right. I must say, I'm a big fan of the Bronica SQ series as well; those cameras also offer amazing value for money.

At any rate, WY Cameras have a Yashicamat available right now for 99 smackers: http://wycameras.com/shop/yashica-mat-tlr-3/

Totally agree they've just gone a little out of budget at the moment. I kind of wish I'd got one a couple of years ago instead of the Moskva, I like a folder but they're either much more expensive for a good sharp one or the budget ones aren't as good quality as a tlr.

If you don't mind my asking, what's your budget in this case? There are probably some sleeper TLRs that can be had for a competitive sum.

Last edited:
Back