YES, Finally.

So we had a no show Sunday night/ Monday morning, which in these parts, always concerns me being quite rural and ofetn with gunshot nearby, particularly on Sundays. I 'hand feed' him in the early evening most nights, and leave a bowl of food for him to come back to at leisure, usually 3 or 4 am.

I didn't get the opportunity to hand feed him Sunday night obviously and his bowl of food was untouched Monday morning.

He missed his early, 'hand feed' last night too but right on cue though, as I swung my legs into bed, the security camera pinged my phone and there he was, tucking into the bowl I'd left him for last night.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tu8m_-48J_E

I really need to look into an alternative for that bowl, he doesn't like it.

It was tipping down last night, really felt for him when I viewed the footage this morning.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lFECG5QZJg

Mine were the same initially, I wondered if it was seeing its reflection, then maybe worry about it closing on its snout ... after a while they ignored it and ate away. :)
(Now they just treat it with utter disdain!).

Maybe it reflects too much?

Mine were the same initially, I wondered if it was seeing its reflection, then maybe worry about it closing on its snout ... after a while they ignored it and ate away. :)
(Now they just treat it with utter disdain!).

This, and this I think. (y)(y).

The bowl I'm using is very light, it does move with a rattle when he takes food from it. Yesterday morning, it was full of rainwater too, not easy for him to get the food out. I drilled a hole in it last night for drainage.

He is just so wary of that bowl. 2 nights ago, he was a foot away from me, practically feeding from my hand, which I would think would be more scary for him than a metal bowl. A heavy, china bowl might be in order.

You'll have to get rid of that outside tap Dale, it's making him nervous!

:LOL:

You'll have to get rid of that outside tap Dale, it's making him nervous!

:LOL:
Lol.

I think when he looks up like that, he's expecting food to come out the kitchen window, which is right above the tap, that's how I fed him in the early days. (y)

3 nights in a row now, the fox has eaten, then taken food away. :D

Patter of tiny paws soon? :banana:

Well, maybe Roger. I thought it was still a little early but who knows? He is acting oddly though. Tonight he ate a day old chick, then a raw chicken wing. I threw him another chicken wing which he picked up but refused to eat it. He kept coming back to me with it. He's done this a few times recently. I'm still holding 'his' bowl that I thaw the food in, he knew there was food still in it. He just sat there, chicken wing in his mouth, waiting on me tossing the rest of the food to him. This was some raw lamb rib and as soon I threw it for him, he picked that up too, trotted away up the garden and left with both items.

I've not had the impression that he has paired up with a vixen ( and being a 1st year fox too) but I could be totally wrong about that.

Last edited:
Either feeding something else or stashing because he's found someone else to feed him as well. :)

Enjoying his supper last night, 06/05/21. He eats the items that take little effort first, mainly Chappie, leaving the raw chicken wings/lamb ribs until last.

View: https://youtu.be/UHLWQG2RCYk

this chap has been coming in for a few weeks now,

View: https://youtu.be/t9IKCfozvIY

interesting that he's eaten the items he can swallow quickly and carries away the more time consuming items. He will eat these on the lawn at our back door but on this occasion, he took them away. Maybe to stash of for young?

Last edited:
If you actually had any respect for wildlife, you wouldn't be altering their natural instincts. A pity.

I will mention your concerns to the many other households that feed him and the other resident wildlife in our village. Heck, I may even come up with a Facebook banner for my profile there advising people not to give local wildlife a helping hand because you think it's a 'pity'. :rolleyes:

I think I'm done here. :wave:

Best not feed the birds then....or the hedgehogs etc....
I can assure you that Dale has a massive respect for wildlife.
BBC Science recently published this article:
"Does feeding garden birds do more harm than good?"

Last edited:
Did you read it?
It's full of "could" "may" "possibly" etc
So it's hardly conclusive......
They'd be better doing something about the dwindling hedgerows and the impact that's having on all sorts of wildlife.....

Last edited:
Which contained the following:-

Mike Toms, from the BTO, says feeding birds can have both benefits and unintended consequences, and he would not suggest that anyone simply take down their feeders.
"If you were going into a pristine habitat and putting out food, that would have consequences," he says. "But that doesn't apply within the UK. We don't have those landscapes.

Back