YES, Finally.

Best not feed the birds then....or the hedgehogs etc....
I can assure you that Dale has a massive respect for wildlife.

Cheers Bob.

It works both ways though, my local Fox kept trying to get me to play football but my natural instinct is rugby.

View: https://flic.kr/p/2jmtm4d

Class.

Best shaped ball, the end.

Trolls are best ignored - he's now on my 'ignore list' . . . :troll:

Yup, he's not going to spoil it for me.

Ignored.

Reactions: Sky
Did you read it?
It's full of "could" "may" "possibly" etc
So it's hardly conclusive......
They'd be better doing something about the dwindling hedgerows and the impact that's having on all sorts of wildlife.....
The title asks a question - obviously it is not conclusive! I cited that article to point out the ignorance of a poster who pretended to equate feeding predators with feeding birds.

Last edited:
The title asks a question - obviously it is not conclusive! I cited that article to point out the ignorance of a poster who pretended to equate feeding predators with feeding birds.

There's quite a lot of evidence to suggest that foxes are evolving to the urban setting.

What he's feeding isn't a completely wild animal. Not anymore.

Ironically, foxy decided to stay away for a little while, 11 nights in total with no show. That's really not like him, he's been coming every single night for over 3 months. Living where we do, it's always a worry if he doesn't show up as we are surrounded by farms and farmers will do what they have to.

Anyway, he's back as of 2 nights ago, he seems to be fairing well for himself.

See that spider? :runaway:

View: https://youtu.be/ud-6fp91K_o

Last edited:
Ironically, foxy decided to stay away for a little while, 11 nights in total with no show. That's really not like him, he's been coming every single night for over 3 months. Living where we do, it's always a worry if he doesn't show up as we are surrounded by farms and farmers will do what they have to.

Anyway, he's back as of 2 nights ago, he seems to be fairing well for himself.

See that spider? :runaway:

View: https://youtu.be/ud-6fp91K_o
The other day you said you were done, and now you're back. You lied to us! LOL

I'm pretty sure we're getting another/different fox now. He's bulkier and a bit more skittish than our first one and with different markings too. Unless puberty has kicked in and he's put the timber on as well. Our original fox didn't show for 11 nights but came back a few nights ago, or it could be this one.

He's not put off by daylight, which will be a massive help with images.

Hearing lots of calls at night now too.

View: https://youtu.be/BHbjQYuw2iM

I'm pretty sure we're getting another/different fox now. He's bulkier and a bit more skittish than our first one and with different markings too. Unless puberty has kicked in and he's put the timber on as well. Our original fox didn't show for 11 nights but came back a few nights ago, or it could be this one.

He's not put off by daylight, which will be a massive help with images.

Hearing lots of calls at night now too.

View: https://youtu.be/BHbjQYuw2iM
If you need an assistant - I'm your man Dale :) :)

Love the fact you have them in daylight now- images will improve , I have no doubt mate

Les :)

A foxy question.

Just about 2 months ago, 'our' fox stopped coming. I was convinced something had happened to him. He would come every night, without fail and you could almost set your watch by him. Then, nothing, for 11 nights.

I was at the stage where I thought back on the times I'd spent with the fox, he was happy in my presence but always ready to run if something unsettled him. It had been a privilege to spend this time with him. I was gutted he was 'gone'.

Then, on the 12th night, something triggered our security camera at the back. I thought it was probably a cat, acceptance that the fox was never coming back had set in. Joy of joys though, it was a (the) fox.

After this, he came in again, every night, as before but something seemed different. He still showed a lot of his old habits but he was far more standoffish, more alert, more skittish. He would run away at the first sign of me opening the backdoor, even touching the handle set him off and out of sight. This just wasn't the foxy of old.

When I eventually managed to open the back door and he stayed near a few nights later, he looked different, much bulkier and he had lost that look of youth. He'd put the timber on too, filled out, even in his face. His markings were slightly different too, the darker, black patches on his cheeks, back and tail were much fainter, almost non existent.

I was convinced it was a different fox.

This last few nights though, whilst the fox that visits every night now is looking much more adult than our first fox, this one is now displaying many of the traits and habits of the original fox, to the point where I am now thinking it's been the same fox all along. He squeezes under the same point of the fence, he listens for the slap of raw chicken on the slabs at our back door and the previous fox came when I whistled, now this fox is begining to do that too. I would speak to the previous fox and he would settle down from a high state of alert, now this fox is doing that too.

Theories are, I have 2 foxes, or a completely different fox, or our original fox has just grown up.

Which brings me to my question and what is my gut feeling.

Foxy stayed away for 11 nights, no sign, no sound, nothing. Then he reappears, looking quite different. Is that just a case of fox puberty kicking in, is it that fast or more protracted?

I am 90% sure at the moment that this fox is the original fox, especially after last night as I have made no attempts with 'this' fox to get him closer and more forgiving, yet he seems to be almost as happy in my presence as originally.

Last edited:
A foxy question.

Just about 2 months ago, 'our' fox stopped coming. I was convinced something had happened to him. He would come every night, without fail and you could almost set your watch by him. Then, nothing, for 11 nights.

I was at the stage where I thought back on the times I'd spent with the fox, he was happy in my presence but always ready to run if something unsettled him. It had been a privilege to spend this time with him. I was gutted he was 'gone'.

Then, on the 12th night, something triggered our security camera at the back. I thought it was probably a cat, acceptance that the fox was never coming back had set in. Joy of joys though, it was a (the) fox.

After this, he came in again, every night, as before but something seemed different. He still showed a lot of his old habits but he was far more standoffish, more alert, more skittish. He would run away at the first sign of me opening the backdoor, even touching the handle set him off and out of sight. This just wasn't the foxy of old.

When I eventually managed to open the back door and he stayed near a few nights later, he looked different, much bulkier and he had lost that look of youth. He'd put the timber on too, filled out, even in his face. His markings were slightly different too, the darker, black patches on his cheeks, back and tail were much fainter, almost non existent.

I was convinced it was a different fox.

This last few nights though, whilst the fox that visits every night now is looking much more adult than our first fox, this one is now displaying many of the traits and habits of the original fox, to the point where I am now thinking it's been the same fox all along. He squeezes under the same point of the fence, he listens for the slap of raw chicken on the slabs at our back door and the previous fox came when I whistled, now this fox is begining to do that too. I would speak to the previous fox and he would settle down from a high state of alert, now this fox is doing that too.

Theories are, I have 2 foxes, or a completely different fox, or our original fox has just grown up.

Which brings me to my question and what is my gut feeling.

Foxy stayed away for 11 nights, no sign, no sound, nothing. Then he reappears, looking quite different. Is that just a case of fox puberty kicking in, is it that fast or more protracted?

I am 90% sure at the moment that this fox is the original fox, especially after last night as I have made no attempts with 'this' fox to get him closer and more forgiving, yet he seems to be almost as happy in my presence as originally.
Sounds to me like it's maybe the same fox, particularly how quickly he's settled into a similar routine.
Maybe he's found a mate or had some kind of minor injury?
Or possibly even a different food source that's now stopped/run out?

Sounds to me like it's maybe the same fox, particularly how quickly he's settled into a similar routine.
Maybe he's found a mate or had some kind of minor injury?
Or possibly even a different food source that's now stopped/run out?

It's a case of 'who knows' I think Bob. I'm seeing a lot of the original fox behaviour in this one now but he looks so different. My gut tells me it's the original fox. I was regularly hearing vixens calling about the time he disappeared too, he's due to find a mate soon as he will now be a young adult.

I'm hoping for the patter of tiny fox feet in the not too distant future.

Simples bro trust to your guts when you have no knowledge to confirm otherwise............. basically what ya need is the guy whom has watched a fox mature and can tell you how colour patterns might change...if she or he isn't here then trust your guts

Dale trusting guts not thinking just obeying this tiny feeling all but subliminal, is all but lost in all of us now . Those senses we loose as we get ever more( LMAO) " civilized" are tricky to tap into...hear them .....................you won't go unrewarded

I can't answer your Q bro, as I've never tracked a fox that long but I'm with Bob on the hunch ;)

Not updated for a while as there's been nothing new, he just comes in every night, like clockwork, eats his food, then slinks off into the night until the next night. It's getting exciting though. For a week now, the fox has taken his food away, he used to do this a while back but this is a more concerted effort to do so, he picks as much as he can up in his mouth and scarpers. He will return shortly after for the rest of what might be left.

I can almost hear the sound of baby fox feet. :banana:

He may now have a Mate Dale as you indicate - Be nice to shoot some Cubs :)

He's been a friend of ours now for getting on for 2 years or so Gav. If he's about nearby, I can whistle and he comes. He's cost me a fortune in raw chicken wings.
Sorry Dale, I only had a quick look making my tea at work, saw the title and thought it was a new fox, I'll read back later :) funny how us wildlife fans feed the beasts better than ourselves :LOL:

Dale I got to say you have some great footage in some of these, really loved watching them all plus I totally love the colour footage side ways on.

Cheers Dave.

During the early days of this, never did I think for a second that 'our' fox would still be coming, almost 2 years later. To have him so close is a real privilege. My Daughter often feeds him, she is 10, I'm guessing she won't forget the experiences she's had with him for a very long time. She calls him 'Oreo' after her favourite biscuits. She will toss him food from our back door and he will take it almost from her feet. I have been mindful though to keep him as wild as possible and he doesn't get fed an awful lot of food off us as I don't want him relying on us. He gets 2 chicken wings a night, plus some raw dog food but that's it.

Photographing him has been a challenge, I had only a 150w halogen floodlight until recently, the colours of it weren't great and I had to use silly ISO settings but I was happy to just to get him photographed, as a record. The images did improve but recently, for the last while infact, photography has taken a backseat to just spending time with him.

I now have 2 LED lights, each 150 watt equivalent, that I haven't tried with him yet, I may do so this evening or at some point the coming week. Watch this space. (y)

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, I looked back and the last image I took of him. It will be a year tomorrow that I took this.

Time to update the Foxy folder. It's no award winning image but under the circumstances as well as under a 150 watt halogen in the depths of a dark, Ayrshire night, I'm quietly pleased.(y)

IMG_0229  LR CS6 JP tp.jpg

Out of curiosity, I looked back and the last image I took of him. It will be a year tomorrow that I took this.

Time to update the Foxy folder. It's no award winning image but under the circumstances as well as under a 150 watt halogen in the depths of a dark, Ayrshire night, I'm quietly pleased.(y)

View attachment 355143

Quite pleased OMG, I'd be over the moon if I had taken a beautiful image like that.

View attachment 355143
It's a beautiful image

I'm very envious Dale, sounds very special!

Is he skittish?
Could a low power diffused flash be used?

May be a dimmable outside light so you can gently increase brightness over a few hours/days/weeks?

He's a little skittish Gav, he knows we have a dog, a 30KG Weimaraner. They have 'met' through a closed, glass door, by accident, I'm just glad the door was closed. If he doesn't sense the dog though, he does settle down very well.

He's OK with light now, it doesn't bother him at all. Our previous halogen flood was PIR, so when he came in and we were all in bed, he'd set the floodlight off but he just got used to it.

He's a little skittish Gav, he knows we have a dog, a 30KG Weimaraner. They have 'met' through a closed, glass door, by accident, I'm just glad the door was closed. If he doesn't sense the dog though, he does settle down very well.
Must be a fair amount of trust to keep coming back after that, great work! Hope you get the image you crave for :)

Love the second one too, but both are cracking images Dale.

Thanks Dave.

I'd not made any images or video of the fox for a while, as mentioned. This last 2 or 3 nights though, I have been and also trialling the LED lights that I switched to from tungsten floods.

I got some video of him last night, 28/05/2022, just feet away. He kept a beady eye on me but he was snoozing now and again. He was waiting on his second chicken wing here, he'd already had one. He knows the routine and I'm sure he can count, to 2 at least. :LOL: Routine is, he triggers the security cameras, my phone pings, I switch the lights on, I settle down at the back door and take photos, give him a wing after a few minutes, he disapperas to eat it, give to any cubs or stash it. He returns, for his second wing, I take photos and video, give him his reward, a second wing. He disappears again. Whilst he's away this second time, I put food in his bowl, that he returns to throughout the night.

View: https://youtu.be/JxFsVXiOV-w

Last edited:
Back