YES, Finally.

That is a Beautiful image :love::love:

Yes .. he wants his feed :LOL:

Thank you for sharing these Dale (y)

Thanks Gav, it's my pleasure, on so many fronts.

Although, I may let that strip of grass grow a bit wilder to look a bit more natural for future images, instead of cutting it with the rest, although that will play havoc with my OCD.

Thanks Gav, it's my pleasure, on so many fronts.

Although, I may let that strip of grass grow a bit wilder to look a bit more natural for future images, instead of cutting it with the rest, although that will play havoc with my OCD.
That's a nice idea, good for the mini beasts too :)

Will the OCD mean you'll be trimming it's edges neat and square or wanting to mow it flat ;)

That last shot looks so much like the look our cat used to give us when we tried to ignore her requests for food! Love it.

That is just lovely Dale. Well done and thanks for posting and sharing this lovely picture :D

That last shot looks so much like the look our cat used to give us when we tried to ignore her requests for food! Love it.

Lol, we have 2 cats the same, although feeding duties have now passed on to my daughter, as they are 'her' cats. :LOL:

Thank you.

That is just lovely Dale. Well done and thanks for posting and sharing this lovely picture :D

Thanks, glad you like it. (y)

As he is now more than just a occasional visitor I guess you should name him...
On a side note, I still get my fox visit 6 out of 7 nights & he still follows for a walk with my wife & me when we take the dog (wolf!) out for his night pee break.
Most nights 2 turn up - Ben & Neptune.

They love cheddar cheese, cocktail sausages & chicken thighs.

Last edited:
On a side note, I still get my fox visit 6 out of 7 nights & he still follows for a walk with my wife & me when we take the dog (wolf!) out for his night pee break.
Most nights 2 turn up - Ben & Neptune.

They love cheddar cheese, cocktail sausages & chicken thighs.

Very cool.

As he is now more than just a occasional visitor I guess you should name him...

It has to be Basil, surely :D

My daughter is one step ahead here, :LOL: she named him 'Oreo' last year, after her favourite biscuits. :)

Foxy, or 'Oreo' as he's now known has become like clockwork again. Every night, he comes. He is almost part of the family but I have drawn a line with him, to keep him wild.

Anyway, this last couple of months, there have been a few interlopers, attracted to his food bowl. With the lighter evenings, it's often still relatively light here in Ayrshire going on for 11pm. I've even had a gull come in after 10:30pm on several occasions. I'm sometimes in my bed by then and have often gotten up to shoo it away. Living in a bungalow, the fox gets fed almost right under our bedroom window, so it's just a case of opening the window.

One other species that has increased are hedgehogs. @Cobra might be interested in this too. (y)

I'm happy to have the hedgehogs, they do compete with the fox but that's happening in nature anyway. I've had 3 or 4 hedgehogs visiting now for some time.

Last night though, took the biscuit, literally. The camera pings my phone, it was too dark for the gull, so I had a look what it was. A big black moggy, which scarpered when I opened the window. I did notice though that the bowl I use for the fox food, had something in it, besides the fox food. I grabbed a t -shirt (already had shorts on ;)) and went to the back door. I was stunned to see a hedgehog filling the bowl. It was huge, it's not a small bowl and he was literally filling it. I knew the fox was about too. I go to the bowl and I had to tip (gently) the hedgehog out of it. I didn't mind it having a feed, but not all of it. It scurried off as I'd switched the bulkhead light on, this is when I saw the fox, halfway up the garden. I checked the bowl, topped it up a little as the raw chicken wing I'd put in had vanished (possibly the moggy), the fox came to the bowl with me at the door. I shut the door, switched off the light, content that the fox would now get his feed and I went back to bed.

The camera pings my phone through the night most nights, it's usually the fox, looking for more food but that's one line I have drawn, I don't refill the bowl, once it's gone, it's gone. This way, he won't rely on me feeding him at his convenience.

I check the footage every morning.

I checked last night's footage this morning and right enough, the hedgehog came back and the fox didn't quite know what to do. As you can see, the hedgehog is BIG, there's plenty of scale in the video. Foxy trotted off and left the hedgehog to finish off the scraps.

View: https://youtu.be/BYDoVoHHASo

Fox doesn't seem interested in/bothered by the 'hogs either?

Cheers Gav. I don't think this was his first encounter with a hedgehog in our grden but he did seem a little unsure to me in the footage. He's usually lying down by then, often on his back with his legs in the air, cooling off on the slabs no doubt, or fast asleep on the grass somewhere. He doesn't go far, I have a suspicion he is sleeping under a shed, a few gardens away.

He has a similar reaction with cats, that's happened a few times too, cat and fox at the same time.

Cheers Gav. I don't think this was his first encounter with a hedgehog in our grden but he did seem a little unsure to me in the footage. He's usually lying down by then, often on his back with his legs in the air, cooling off on the slabs no doubt, or fast asleep on the grass somewhere. He doesn't go far, I have a suspicion he is sleeping under a shed, a few gardens away.

He has a similar reaction with cats, that's happened a few times too, cat and fox at the same time.
I watched it again, there is a slight reaction there.
I guess the fox dosen't need to risk the hedgehog as he is finding enough food else where, I guess the hedgehog size is another reason not to bother :LOL:
Must be very relaxed to lay on his back in your garden (y)

Must be very relaxed to lay on his back in your garden (y)

When he first started coming, after a while, he would toss our dog's toys in the air, that she had left scattered over the garden.

He's one chilled dude, but always, just a fraction away from skittishness.

Seems Foxy isn't keen on the local moggies, what a timid soul he is.

View: https://youtu.be/1O4FM97PpvA
There always used to be a myth that Foxes killed cats but my experience from the ones we had visiting our garden is the same as yours, very timid toward cats.
I read somewhere that it was likely due to the damage that the cats claws can do that makes them wary ... having had a cat I can understand where they are coming from!

A cat will go for the face of a fox (any animal) so injury risk is very high.

A cat will also get bitey about fingers, when said cat is being rescued from German Shepherds. I have this T-shirt. ;)

On a serious note, never dismiss a cat bite, they have a bacteria (Pastuerella) on their teeth and because cat bites go deep, the bacteria can get in deep too. If it gets into a tendon sheath, it can be very nasty. At the very least, clean a cat bite well, use an anti bacterial cream and keep an eye on it. I wish I had.

A cat will also get bitey about fingers, when said cat is being rescued from German Shepherds. I have this T-shirt. ;)
Cats can be ungrateful little sods :LOL:
On a serious note, never dismiss a cat bite, they have a bacteria (Pastuerella) on their teeth and because cat bites go deep, the bacteria can get in deep too. If it gets into a tendon sheath, it can be very nasty. At the very least, clean a cat bite well, use an anti bacterial cream and keep an eye on it. I wish I had.
Cat bites are nasty, blood posioning is a concern too, their claws can be dirty due to their digging habbits.

Had animals all my life, don't fear any but the weaponry of the feline :LOL: ... mind you, Dwarf Russian hamsters pack a bite :LOL:

No gratitude, nicking from the hand that feeds it! :LOL:

We now have 2 youngsters, as well as the original fox. I noticed this over the weekend.

I'm now finding the bowl at various points in the garden in the mornings. It's always empty and sometimes, upside down. The original, adult fox never took the bowl away but the youngsters try to get it under the fence where they enter our garden. It seems it's a competiton for food type thing going on. I always put too much food in for one fox to eat in one sitting, so they all get a fair go.

As you can see, the youngsters, one of them here, are still playful but I don't think Dad could be bothered.

:LOL:

View: https://youtu.be/sd9J5sw-KmM

Don't worry about the OCD Dale, I have it in abundance.

It's not OCD though, it's CDO.

It's the same thing BUT WITH THE LETTERS IN THE CORRECT ORDER!

Here we are, just over 2 years since the first sighting of the first fox on our security camera. many videos and images later, we now have 3 foxes visiting, the original adult and 2 youngsters, who I believe will be siblings and the original fox will be the parent.

One of the youngsters last night, the first trail camera footage of the young........

View: https://youtu.be/J1XtfXKcEoc

and the original (adult) fox, the difference in build is clear.........

View: https://youtu.be/kgNe8KqOGww

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Back