Yikes I've had a...

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Yikes I've had a photo I took published. No payment, but credited to me.

It was published quite awhile ago in a book on Knuckledusters, I posted on a forum a photo of a World War 1 Knuckleduster and was asked if the writer could use my photo, I said yes but credit the Pic to me.

Am I cool or what...... :D :cool: :D

knuckle.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry but it make me wonder,how many others in the chain,just got a credit and no payment :shake:

:) But it's my photograph and I'm happy with a credit, what other photographers arraignments were, I neither know or care. :)

The smilies are to show I'm not trolling etc etc

Well done Simon, I'd do the same

I had one published in a magazine last year and was very pleased. Great feeling knowing someone rates your photo, however I'm in this as a hobby so I asked for either a credit or a donation to charity. I really wasn't interested in the magazine so I really wasn't bothered about it and have never even seen it in print.

I had one published in a magazine last year and was very pleased. Great feeling knowing someone rates your photo, however I'm in this as a hobby so I asked for either a credit or a donation to charity. I really wasn't interested in the magazine so I really wasn't bothered about it and have never even seen it in print.

I'm happy that you got published and not meaning to put down your pics but how do you know someone actually 'rated' it and didn't just decide to use it because it was free and the ones he actually rated were from people who wouldn't give them for free?

I'm happy that you got published and not meaning to put down your pics but how do you know someone actually 'rated' it and didn't just decide to use it because it was free and the ones he actually rated were from people who wouldn't give them for free?

Exxxxxxactly the issue with accepting a credit right there. Spot on. Now someone else profits from your work and they didn't have to pay a penny.

Worst part is nobody accept other photographers take notice of a photo credit.

Exxxxxxactly the issue with accepting a credit right there. Spot on. Now someone else profits from your work and they didn't have to pay a penny.

Worst part is nobody accept other photographers take notice of a photo credit.

Or worst,they do take notice of the credit,find out they can get photos for free,why paid for a photo again :shake:

Yikes I've had a photo I took published. No payment, but credited to me.

Am I cool or what...... :D :cool: :D

No, I don't think you're particularly cool for giving your work away for free - unless it's to a non-profit or charitable cause with which you have particular sympathy or affiliation with.

Under the Copyright Act photographers have the moral right to be credited for their work (unless under a specific employment contract) - a credit is not something that somebody else merely offers or bestows (excluding newspapers, current affairs, periodicals where that right can be waived).

Nor does a credit pay the bills or gain additional work (unless for free, as has been said).

Not being nasty but, the author has taken advantage of you and probably having a laugh at all the Togs who give their work away so he/she can make money. As has been said, your work more than likely has not been "rated" just free!

Well the thing is, he rated the photo when he saw it at my house on my computer and asked if he could use the image about 3 months after he first saw it, before any mention of credit or payment was discussed. It was a photo of a motorbike and it was printed in a bike mag, (I'm a scooterist so no interest in motorbikes per se, just the paint job of this one), which one I have no idea. I do know he made a donation to LIVES for it, so I really don't think anyone is having a laugh or taking advantage of me.

Here we go again. Someone is happy to have one of their photos published for free and the majority jump on him because he didn't get a fee.

If he is happy then that is all that matters.

If you don't want to let someone use your photo(s) for free then good on you but there is no need to berate the OP because he did. It is his choice but some people just seem to want to string him up for doing it.

Here we go again. Someone is happy to have one of their photos published for free and the majority jump on him because he didn't get a fee.

If you don't want to let someone use your photo(s) for free then good on you but there is no need to berate the OP because he did. It is his choice but some people just seem to want to string him up for doing it.

EXACTLY!!! Some people here should remove their heads from their rectums.

Vaughan, you know why some people will feel irritated when images are given away for free - somebody other than the photographer profits. It perpetuates the perception that photography has little value, which doesn't help anyone.

Of course the OP is entitled to do whatever he wants, but he posted here so please understand that he'll get a variety of opinions!

Vaughan, you know why some people will feel irritated when images are given away for free - somebody other than the photographer profits. It perpetuates the perception that photography has little value, which doesn't help anyone.

Of course the OP is entitled to do whatever he wants, but he posted here so please understand that he'll get a variety of opinions!

Very true,if you value your work so little that you want to give it away free :(

Last edited:
OMG FFS

OK GUYS. I am a professional photographer, I make a living and I'm building a career in this. In it for very much the long run.

I GET the whole 'don't give your pics away' thing. I really, really do.

It sucks, but strangely enough, much in the same way that professional photographers love what they do - we have to remember that there are also MANY people who love taking photos for fun. This kind of thing isn't going to go away, so concentrate on YOUR BUSINESS and YOUR MARKET - let's just stop embarrassing everyone, by laying into a hobbyist photographer who's chuffed that they've had their picture printed in a local paper, or as a weather pic on the news?

Please?

Just read a qoute from a pro in this mths Digtal Camera,she is a leading wildlife photographer.

Don't give it away.
( Making a living from wildlife photography is getting tougher too,
and the situation's not helped when photographers give their work away
just to get published.
It's killing the business for the rest of us.
Suzi laments
There's a really worrying trend in the US where photographers are giving their work
away for free or even paying magazines to feature their work,rather than the other way round.
Some magazine that I used to sell images to now fill all their pages with free imagery.
It's madness - wildlife photography is an art form like any other,and you wouldn't give a painting away for free)

:)

Last edited:
If your standard of work is good enough and you market yourself correctly, you will get paid.

It seems some people on here feel a little threatened by someone having a photograoh selected for publishing and offering it for free.

Maybe you should concentrate on your own photography business' marketing strategy and ignore what a casual hobbyist is doing?

TCR4x4 said:
If your standard of work is good enough and you market yourself correctly, you will get paid.

It seems some people on here feel a little threatened by someone having a photograoh selected for publishing and offering it for free.

Maybe you should concentrate on your own photography business' marketing strategy and ignore what a casual hobbyist is doing?

Top post.

No, I don't think you're particularly cool for giving your work away for free - unless it's to a non-profit or charitable cause with which you have particular sympathy or affiliation with.

Under the Copyright Act photographers have the moral right to be credited for their work (unless under a specific employment contract) - a credit is not something that somebody else merely offers or bestows (excluding newspapers, current affairs, periodicals where that right can be waived).

Nor does a credit pay the bills or gain additional work (unless for free, as has been said).

My photo, I'll do what I want with it.

You don't think thats cool, but I do. No worries. :)

At nobody in particular:

Opinions are like arseh*les, we all have one. :)

:) I've said it before, and I'll say it again... we appreciate the sentiment, but pick your battles guys.

personally I'd rather not be known as someone that gives away their work for free, people start expecting the same thing.

We had a mag approach us wanting some shots but weren't willing to pay, we declined. 6-8 months later they asked again for different shots, this time with cheque book in hand. We've since supplied them with images several times. Money + credit = win in my book :D

neil_g said:
personally I'd rather not be known as someone that gives away their work for free, people start expecting the same thing.

We had a mag approach us wanting some shots but weren't willing to pay, we declined. 6-8 months later they asked again for different shots, this time with cheque book in hand. We've since supplied them with images several times. Money + credit = win in my book :D

On the flip side, I did give some work away free and it led to an all expense paid plus €1400 fee 10 day tour around Europe.

Horses for courses.

I don't think it is people feeling threatened, i certainly don't. I think it is people being published thinking it is purley because of the standard of the shot. It may well be but, it is more than likely the fact it is free. What use is a credit on a photo. Only you will take any notice of it. I do not have a problem with people giving their work away. I have sold images that could have been obtained for free elswhere as I am sure many other people have.

On the flip side, I did give some work away free and it led to an all expense paid plus €1400 fee 10 day tour around Europe.

So it wasn't given away for free!

Last edited:

Of course it was! A year before I shot a gig and gave them the photos for free. On the back of that, a year later I got the tour job. If I hadnt have given the originals free, I wouldnt have got the other job.

By that logic, if in 10 years the OP gets an email from the publisher offering money for another photo, then this one wasnt given away free either. :bonk:

I don't think it is people feeling threatened, i certainly don't. I think it is people being published thinking it is purley because of the standard of the shot. It may well be but, it is more than likely the fact it is free. What use is a credit on a photo. Only you will take any notice of it. I do not have a problem with people giving their work away. I have sold images that could have been obtained for free elswhere as I am sure many other people have.

My Bold

In my case a number of people have contacted me because I was credited, the last person to do so was about 2 months ago. The photo was taken and the book published 2 to 5 years ago.

I'm OK with that, stand your ground (y)

Back