Yongnuo YN-622 Q&A

Yes, I'm with you. Just hoping there might be a workaround as I've got four 580EX guns and it's a right PITA when they all need to be adjusted by hand.

Thanks for the info. Either way these look to be sensational value (y)

I shoot with a 5dM2 and like HoppyUK I have four of the original Canon 580EX Flashes (not ii). My new set of four Yongnuo 622C trigers arrived today and i was heartbroken to learn after the fact that I cannot get them to control much of anything on my flash units other than as a simple trigger. I do see the aperture displayed on the LCD of the flash for what that's worth but I cannot get my camera body's flash control menu to change anything at all on the flash itself. Not manual, not Ettl ratios, nothing. I am trying to make the best of what I have but it seems that I will need more so here is my question: in order to be able to have remote control over my flash settings do ALL of my flashes need to be the newer Yongnuos , like the 568EXii or the Canon 580 EXii, or could just ONE of them be the newer style as a Master and than that newer one might be able to control the original style flashes? Is this possible? I am trying to find a way out of this without having to buy all new flashes if at all possible but I really want to be able to control the manual settings of each flash from the camera itself. Thanks for whatever you guys can offer up. HoppyUK: what did you do?

The pre-2007 speedlites simply do not have the paths from foot to processor. I have four 550EX's that cannot be controlled in Manual; only in E-TTL's FEC.

The soon-to-be-released YN-622C-TX has a Fn 05 compatability setting that can enable remote control of manual output levels, - by group. It uses the trick that other brands use - the flash is set to E-TTL, and then the E-TTL commands can be used internally to set the level remotely. YN have just posted on their facebook page that they are waiting for the user guide stock to arrive.

There can be only one Master in the Canon system - the 622C or 622C-TX in the YN system. You cannot mix radio with optical-pulse code.

The pre-2007 speedlites simply do not have the paths from foot to processor. I have four 550EX's that cannot be controlled in Manual; only in E-TTL's FEC.

The soon-to-be-released YN-622C-TX has a Fn 05 compatability setting that can enable remote control of manual output levels, - by group. It uses the trick that other brands use - the flash is set to E-TTL, and then the E-TTL commands can be used internally to set the level remotely. YN have just posted on their facebook page that they are waiting for the user guide stock to arrive.

There can be only one Master in the Canon system - the 622C or 622C-TX in the YN system. You cannot mix radio with optical-pulse code.

I was afraid of this but thanks for setting me straight. I actually tried to buy the newest Yongnuo 568EXii and when they arrived BOTH of them were dead. I just couldn't believe it. What are the chances? They would both fire only once, get very hot almost immediately and then a little thermometer icon would flash to signify overheating. I read that a great many others have had this exact same thing happen so I decided to give up on that idea. But not that I will have to buy three new flashes it sure would be a lot more cost effective to go with the Youngnous, but only if they work. I wanted the HSS feature too so I really must have the newest ones but they may not have been around long enough to have had the bugs worked out of them yet.

You did return the 580EX IIs for refund? Too many have reported that problem!

The original YN-622Cs have been around for 20 months, and there have been problems which were fixed some time ago. There is a cost to being a pioneer. The new C-TX will benefit from YN's experience with the old unit, and the hassle of returning units for the latest firmware has gone. Users can update it themselves. Abour time.

With the C-TX, there are a number of new tricks added in, too. Many thousands of the original unit have been sols, and the failures reported have been a small and early portion of that user group.

You might like to look at "The Other YN622C User Guide v.3.5, at
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B77OmmGIg0gMVFpqNkpBYXBHajA

Waiting for the new YN 622C-TX, but not in any rush :)
Me too, for HSS on the Safari2 and for better control of the 550ex. My flash collection could now definitely be described as 'eclectic', it's time to start thinking about making a move towards a more uniform setup.

Phil, The Nikon TX is very nice....lol :woot:

That would make for a more uniform setup...

You did return the 580EX IIs for refund? Too many have reported that problem!

The original YN-622Cs have been around for 20 months, and there have been problems which were fixed some time ago. There is a cost to being a pioneer. The new C-TX will benefit from YN's experience with the old unit, and the hassle of returning units for the latest firmware has gone. Users can update it themselves. Abour time.

With the C-TX, there are a number of new tricks added in, too. Many thousands of the original unit have been sols, and the failures reported have been a small and early portion of that user group.

You might like to look at "The Other YN622C User Guide v.3.5, at
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B77OmmGIg0gMVFpqNkpBYXBHajA

Thanks for this link to the other user manual for 622C. I did see this (via this thread just yesterday) and this is what confirmed my fears that these parts would not talk to each other. I had read somewhere that if I had one "fancier flash", like the 568EXii or a Canon 580EXii, I would be okay using my originals as slaves and that they would work will of the of features I needed. This of course is not try and I received bad information. Yes, I did return the two dead Yongnuo 568EXiis and then I actually bought two used Canon 580EXs (original style) only to find that they will not work either for my purposes either, but for other reasons. How in the world does a company (Yongnuo) ship out flashes that are DOA? There is nobody to test these things? I am so apprehensive to buy more of them because of this but my only other option would be to buy Canons at twice the price for USED units. The fact that Yongnou did not even bother to add an external power plug is just ridiculous as well. I have several external power packs and always power my flashes in this way. The 568EXii is their flagship flash with no external power port. Unbelievable. Its looking like used Canon 580EXiis are the only way to go for now unless these TX units are available for Canon, that is if they will solve my issue. I can't seem to find any information stating that using the new Yongnuo TX for Canon would actually solve my issue of having the original 580EX flashes to play nice. Does anyone have a link to such info?

Last edited:
Thanks for this link to the other user manual for 622C. I did see this (via this thread just yesterday) and this is what confirmed my fears that these parts would not talk to each other. I had read somewhere that if I had one "fancier flash", like the 568EXii or a Canon 580EXii, I would be okay using my originals as slaves and that they would work will of the of features I needed. This of course is not try and I received bad information. Yes, I did return the two dead Yongnuo 568EXiis and then I actually bought two used Canon 580EXs (original style) only to find that they will not work either for my purposes either, but for other reasons. How in the world does a company (Yongnuo) ship out flashes that are DOA? There is nobody to test these things? I am so apprehensive to buy more of them because of this but my only other option would be to buy Canons at twice the price for USED units. The fact that Yongnou did not even bother to add an external power plug is just ridiculous as well. I have several external power packs and always power my flashes in this way. The 568EXii is their flagship flash with no external power port. Unbelievable. Its looking like used Canon 580EXiis are the only way to go for now unless these TX units are available for Canon. Then I'd have to hope that I can return all of the new 622Cs that I just bought.

The YN 622C-TX, when it arrives, will simply replace the 622 on-camera. You will still need a 622 to act as receiver on each gun.

You've been unlucky with those YN guns, but they've sold thousands to happy customers. I understand once bitten and all that, but the chances of getting another duffer are low. If you're looking for a complete new system, and budget allows, you might also consider the Phottix Mitros+ with fully integral radio mastering. It's new and as such unproven, but Phottix gear is usually good. Have a look on FlashHavoc and LightingRumours sites. Also Phottix Odin transmitter/receiver system is very well regarded and fully compatible with 580EX Mk1 guns.

The Yongnuo 565ex would be a better but for you then. Cheaper and it'll utilise your external battery packs, but no HSS.

It seems to me there's no 'perfect' system just now, there are compromises with each manufacturer, though we are getting closer.

The YN 622C-TX, when it arrives, will simply replace the 622 on-camera. You will still need a 622 to act as receiver on each gun.

You've been unlucky with those YN guns, but they've sold thousands to happy customers. I understand once bitten and all that, but the chances of getting another duffer are low. If you're looking for a complete new system, and budget allows, you might also consider the Phottix Mitros+ with fully integral radio mastering. It's new and as such unproven, but Phottix gear is usually good. Have a look on FlashHavoc and LightingRumours sites. Also Phottix Odin transmitter/receiver system is very well regarded and fully compatible with 580EX Mk1 guns.

Many thanks for this. It did not occur to me that there may be another trigger RX/TX setup that might work with the original 580Exs. I will look into it. I appreciate you encouragement on the 568Exii as well. You're right, the once bitten (or in this case twice) is a hard one to get over. But then as I consider trying again it troubles me that these do not an external power port. The best solution might be to find a trigger that works with my existing flashes so I will dig into this right now. Thanks again.

The Yongnuo 565ex would be a better but for you then. Cheaper and it'll utilise your external battery packs, but no HSS.

It seems to me there's no 'perfect' system just now, there are compromises with each manufacturer, though we are getting closer.

Well put. I am pilot and we always say that aviation is just one compromise versus another. "You want a roomier plane with more elbow room, here ya go, but it will take you a lot longer to get where you're going" :) However I do think that this lack of an external power port is just inexcusable. I'm already trying to figure out how I may be able to get into it and add a jack for a power pack. Does anyone remember those hoakie power pack adapters that simulated a bundle of 4 AA batteries with a wire coming off of them. You jam them into the battery compartment of your flash and tighten a little spreader to hold it in place? Of course the battery layout in the 568EX makes this difficult at best.

Last edited:
Me too, for HSS on the Safari2 and for better control of the 550ex. My flash collection could now definitely be described as 'eclectic', it's time to start thinking about making a move towards a more uniform setup.

That's a fairly easy decision...

Safari 2s
Atom 360s

and the new Godox V860s (takes the V850 a stage further with TTL etc)

All controlled by the same remote & HSS available in the latter two with the addition of an additional Cells II Godox trigger.

I'm not sure the the Safari 2 will do tail sync HSS, but if the Eli Quadras can I don't see why not.

That's a fairly easy decision...

Safari 2s
Atom 360s

and the new Godox V860s (takes the V850 a stage further with TTL etc)

All controlled by the same remote & HSS available in the latter two with the addition of an additional Cells II Godox trigger.

I'm not sure the the Safari 2 will do tail sync HSS, but if the Eli Quadras can I don't see why not.
That's the sort of lines I'm thinking, but god knows how long it'll take to get there.

Back