Your Current Account - Traditional or Challenger Bank

Ricardodaforce

Self requested ban
Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
No
Personal banking has changed a lot over the past few years. Have you stayed with one of the established high street banks or moved to one of the online/app only newer banks?

I recently moved from HSBC (as their customer service is almost non-existent and really bad when you actually get any) to Starling Bank.

So far (just a few months), I'd say it was well worth it. It only took a few days and Starling were excellent and so far, still are.

I'd recommend it - there's nothing left on the High Streets anyway is there?

FWIW

I am still with the same bank since I was at school, so something like 55 years.....crumbs writing that does make me feel old :LOL:

Same one since I started work in 1975.

I've had my current account with HSBC for as long as I can remember.

For my other non current account stuff I have online banks.

I look at this once a month and if I get get £50 a year switching I switch as every little helps :D

Have two current accounts, one for bills and the other for spending money. First one is with First Direct, the second I opened about 18 months ago with Starling Bank. Nothing to complain about with either, First Direct customer service is excellent, and setting up the Starling account was all done via the app and took about 10 minutes.

I have my old Lloyds current account that I've had for about 30 years now, but use it only to a limited degree now, for basic household bills. General spending is on a Starling account, and I have both my business current accounts with Starling - my own company and TP Media. On the odd occasions I've needed assistance with anything, Starling have been very helpful on the phone (UK based). For rarely received cheques, most accounts now let you pay them in online using the camera on your phone, and I never use cash any more except a couple of notes to the window cleaner monthly, or the hand car wash.

Joint account with nationwide. Personal starling who I can’t rate highly enough. Brilliant app, so much better than the other clunky bank ones with card readers and the like.

Another happy Nationwide Building Society customer here.

Starling here. Was with Tide originally but moved to Starling when they launched as it's completely free rather than a small fee per transaction for the businesses.

Been with Lloyds since 1972. We still have a choice of them, Barclays, Halifax and Newcastle Building Society in Alnwick, so well catered for if you prefer to physically use their services. I much prefer face to face contact.

Nationwide is a disaster here, loads of oldies with multiple books who bugger about with a fiver here and tenner there.
Will only take five bags of change a day, closed on Saturday and often for a couple hours between 1pm and 3pm.
Two cashier windows with frequently only one staffed and stopped the free travel insurance for account holders.

We were, many years ago, with Alliance & Leicester which got taken over by Santander and we have been with them for years now. I can't remember the last time I was in a branch. Never had a problem but also have very rarely needed to contact them.

Dave

Still use the same current account as I started in the early 1970's with Barclays. I recently closed the HSBC current account used by the Camera Club and transferred to Barclays. HSBC could not offer a proper on-line service which Barclays could. Also, HSBC wanted to charge us??????

Dave

Pay all my bills from a Starling account and just changing from Halifax to First Direct.
I change often to get the free bonus money.

HSBC (previously Midland Bank) for Current and joint account also had my mortgage with them. Savings are currently all with online banks.

I've been with Lloyd's for more years than I can remember, however unless you have and pay for one of there premium accounts, you really don't get much, I've got a few savings accounts with them, but the interest is pitifully, I've not long opened a Chase bank account, it's all app based, but there savings interest is much better and there cashback on just using the debit card is great, for big expenditure I use my Amex card and clear it at the end of the month.

Since I moved back to the U.K. I’ve had an HSBC Premiere current account. It had no benefits. So, now I use Starling for day to day banking, and transfer money into different saving pots with Chase. I’d use Starling for everything if they paid as much interest as Chase do.

Virgin money, Nationwide, and Santander accounts that pay interest, a sum of money moves around from one to another to satisfy their deposit terms, all 3 have branches in town so handy, Virgin money don’t do foreign exchange so allow free withdrawals abroad, seems to be an acceptable exchange rate.

Still with basic Lloyds current account since 1969 when I entered University. They have always been completely reliable, and I see no reason to move. I have other current accounts e.g. with Nationwide, (also totally excellent), but the vast majority of my transactions are with Lloyds.

Still with basic Lloyds current account since 1969 when I entered University. They have always been completely reliable, and I see no reason to move. I have other current accounts e.g. with Nationwide, (also totally excellent), but the vast majority of my transactions are with Lloyds.
Free money?

Coutts; nothing more to be said.

That brings back memories from when I was in London. Is the service still top notch or have they turned to crap like all the other banks?

Banks keep your money, lend it to other people and charge high rates of interest. What do they give you? Peanut shells (not even peanuts these days!)

Yes, stayed with Bank of Scotland and Clydesdale.

Wish I had opened Skipton BS and Starling bank, years ago!

NatWest since my Saturday job at school. I keep saying i will close it and move somewhere else as the CS is dreadful. But I think its the same everywhere , so its just lethargy keeping me there tbh,.

NatWest since my Saturday job at school. I keep saying i will close it and move somewhere else as the CS is dreadful. But I think its the same everywhere , so its just lethargy keeping me there tbh,.

Actually it’s not the same everywhere. My main bank has 2 U.K. call-centres and is opening a 3rd this year. There is no “press 1 for this, 2 for that etc” and they are available 24/7 on phone, live chat or email.
As for lethargy, the CASS makes it very easy to switch now.

Banks keep your money, lend it to other people and charge high rates of interest. What do they give you? Peanut shells (not even peanuts these days!)
What do you expect?

my bank account costs me nothing and I get an app that allows me to manage my money, access cash if needed And organise my bill payments. I get something from it, plus a safe place for it with protection. What more are you expecting?

I see Starling Bank have just announced a six-fold increase in annual profit.

Back