Your monitor resolution POLL

Matt

TPer Emeritus
Name
matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Here we are then kids, what resolution are you viewing in?

We are considering upping the max size of images to 800pixels so we want to make sure its what we all want, so lets 'ave ya!

Added my vote..running dual monitors at 1280x1024 each so opted for higher :p

jeez i voted, lol

No your not m8, I spend about 50% of my time here on my laptop, which i have set at 1024, the rest of the time on my main PC and the res is higher.

Since I know the reason for the pole, i'm voting on something that'll still look good on both screens 8)

Well I run the desktop at 1024 X 768, but I need glasses to go to the bogs now. :crying:

However I do like to save pics at 1280 X 1024 and do Powerpoint full screen slide shows at that res with a suitable bit of classical music in the CD Drawer. Also I tend to work at full res on big restoration jobs, so I wouldn't be too phased if we went bigger. :D

i run mine at 1280 x 1024 , lol

and sit 3" from the screen

MyPix

Hello!

I view the forum 80% of the time in my 15" Powerbook, at 1280 x 854.

And some times when I log in at the office, I have my mac there at 1280 x 1024.

Cheers!

I'm running 1280x960 - correct 4:3 ratio :)

Great news if you change the image width rule. I assume you are changing the filesize rule too (because that is just as annoying!) I'll certainly post more photos if these rules get changed. I understand that it is expensive to increase them, so no worries if it doesn't happen.

Dave said:
Great news if you change the image width rule. I assume you are changing the filesize rule too (because that is just as annoying!) I'll certainly post more photos if these rules get changed. I understand that it is expensive to increase them, so no worries if it doesn't happen.

we are indeed going to change the size rules, not sure what filesize size, but max pixels on the longest length will be 800pixels

digitalfailure said:
Since I know the reason for the pole

To keep the wet clothes off the ground? ;)

I like to be different so I run 1152x864

new image size rules are posted, please try to be sensible with file sizes though!

EosD said:
new image size rules are posted, please try to be sensible with file sizes though!

Great news and thanks, helps enormously as I only upload svga to my website. Hopefully we should see members photos in even more glorious detail from now on.

cheers,
Andy

SDK^ said:

I'm glad someone else brought this up!!!

1280x960 is 5:4... it;'s wrong... all your pics are too wide. Don't belive me? Shoot a ball.. load pic onto PC... look at it on a 1280x1024 screen... it will be vertically squashed. The only exception to this is LCD screens with non-square pixels. Not ALL monitors do tho... so test it out. If your ball pic is looking vertically squashed at 1280x1024, then you should be running in 1280x960. If you have a CRT monitor, then you DEFINITELY should NOT use 1280x1024.. ever.

That's great! Thank you! I think the new sizes are more than reasonable.

Pook said:
SDK^ said:

1280x960 is 5:4... it;'s wrong... all your pics are too wide. Don't belive me? Shoot a ball.. load pic onto PC... look at it on a 1280x1024 screen... it will be vertically squashed. The only exception to this is LCD screens with non-square pixels. Not ALL monitors do tho... so test it out. If your ball pic is looking vertically squashed at 1280x1024, then you should be running in 1280x960. If you have a CRT monitor, then you DEFINITELY should NOT use 1280x1024.. ever.

This is absolutely correct. I just drew a large circular mask, filled it with a solid fill and viewed it at both resolutions. At 1280 X 1024 it is definitely looking squished!

CT said:
Pook said:
SDK^ said:

This is absolutely correct. I just drew a large circular mask, filled it with a solid fill and viewed it at both resolutions. At 1280 X 1024 it is definitely looking squished!
Indeed.... Unless you have a dedicated LCD with non square pixels that supports 1280x1024... it's wrong. My advice is to that test. Take a picture of a ball, look at it on your monitor... if it appears vertically squished, you shouldn't be using 1280x1024.. use 1280x960 instead.
If you have a CRT monitor.. you should NEVER use 1280x1024. It's for dedicated non-square pixel monitors that will display it as a 4:3 aspect ratio only.

1280 x 1024 is absolutely correct for some LCD/TFT screens. I've just done a test by drawing a circle 800 pixels diameter and measuring it on the screen with a ruler - exactly the same height and width. I run a laptop at 1280 x 960 because that gives circular circles, but on the desktop LCD 1280 x 1024 is millimetre perfect. :wink:

silkstone said:
1280 x 1024 is absolutely correct for some LCD/TFT screens. I've just done a test by drawing a circle 800 pixels diameter and measuring it on the screen with a ruler - exactly the same height and width. I run a laptop at 1280 x 960 because that gives circular circles, but on the desktop LCD 1280 x 1024 is millimetre perfect. :wink:

Yep.. like I said... some proper TFTs use a non-square pixel set up, which displays the 5:4 1280x1024 display as a 4:3 screen.. this is fine... but never assume that you're safe to use it just because you have a TFT screen. You should always do the ball test.

Okay, you've confuddeld me to, I run at 1280 x 1024 85mhz CRT and as far as I can tell I'm spot on with the circle test to the mm. Surely it depends on type of and resolution of the monitor? Why should I "not use 1280 x 1024 ever"?

feeson said:
Okay, you've confuddeld me to, I run at 1280 x 1024 85mhz CRT and as far as I can tell I'm spot on with the circle test to the mm. Surely it depends on type of and resolution of the monitor? Why should I "not use 1280 x 1024 ever"?

Because you're using a 4:3 monitor, and then using a 5:4 resolution. Basically, it has too many vertical pixels, so when you resize it to fit on your monitor, you're squashing it vertically.

Forget the drawing circles thing... grab your cam.. shoot a picture of a ball.. a perfectly round one. Upload it to your PC.. look at it. DOn't edit, or resize it.. just look at it raw. It will be vertically squashed. A CRT monitor with a width of 1280 pixels needs a height of 960 to be correct... it just does... cos otherwise the shape is wrong. Only a TFT screen with a non-square pixel ratio can display 1280x1024 without distortion. As all CRT monitors are 4:3, you need to have it set in a 4:3 screen resolution: 800x600, 1024x768, 1152x864, 1280x960 or 1600x1200.

As you said, it depends on the type of monitor... and you have a 4:3 monitor.. you need a 4:3 screen res/aspect ratio. YOu can't stretch a 4:3 TV transmission to fit a 16:9 TV without it being distorted... don't expect the same from your monitor.

Pook said:
feeson said:

Because you're using a 4:3 monitor, and then using a 5:4 resolution. Basically, it has too many vertical pixels, so when you resize it to fit on your monitor, you're squashing it vertically.

Forget the drawing circles thing... grab your cam.. shoot a picture of a ball.. a perfectly round one. Upload it to your PC.. look at it. DOn't edit, or resize it.. just look at it raw. It will be vertically squashed. A CRT monitor with a width of 1280 pixels needs a height of 960 to be correct... it just does... cos otherwise the shape is wrong. Only a TFT screen with a non-square pixel ratio can display 1280x1024 without distortion. As all CRT monitors are 4:3, you need to have it set in a 4:3 screen resolution: 800x600, 1024x768, 1152x864, 1280x960 or 1600x1200.

As you said, it depends on the type of monitor... and you have a 4:3 monitor.. you need a 4:3 screen res/aspect ratio. YOu can't stretch a 4:3 TV transmission to fit a 16:9 TV without it being distorted... don't expect the same from your monitor.

Ah, with photoshop what I put on screen is what comes out my printer size wise (I can hold one against the other), when I pull up rulers and such on screen and then put a rule against them it matches, drawn circle is round as is the printed one. I went through all the above settings and was getting distorded pics and such, just ran the iiyama monitor test for geometry and its also spot. But if I pull something up 16 x 16 and view in explorer or anything else its not the right size? Brain hurts, as long as PS is right it'll do :D

EDIT its all on the nose now across the board or seems to be, chose fixed aspec ration in the graphics driver settings

Glad it all amkes sense to you now :) The reason it's important, is because, even tho it will print right etc... if its the wrong shape on your monitor, and you inadvertantly correct this.... on your monitor... it will print wrong, and display wrong on other's monitors.

Pook said:
Glad it all amkes sense to you now :) The reason it's important, is because, even tho it will print right etc... if its the wrong shape on your monitor, and you inadvertantly correct this.... on your monitor... it will print wrong, and display wrong on other's monitors.

TBH its something that never crossed my mind, as long as what I put out in the printed sheet was a match ie if it was 12cm square on screen in PS what I print out is 12cm square I assumed everything was fine.
Between explorer and PS there was not a lot in it but enough for me to sit up and take interest with this thread but as my rig is for PS 1st then the net then music then, er, nothing really, I dont suppose I would have been any the wiser if I hadn't read this. :)

Running 1600x1200 100Hz here, somtimes higher! So i'm definantly glad of the increase!

Pook said:
Gregeff said:
Running 1600x1200 100Hz here, somtimes higher! So i'm definantly glad of the increase!

Nice.. what monitor?

22" Iiyama VM Pro 512 :)

Unfortunatly it's not as nice as it should be as this monitor has sharpness poblems :( But i can live with that for 1856x1392 @ 95Hz for CAD work :D

Back