Your most used Landscape lens

smr

Name
Joel
Edit My Images
No
Just interested to see which lens you use more than anyother for your landscape photography. For me, it's easily the humble 10-18mm EFS. Really is a superb lens. It's the only lens I've ever had the misfortune of getting damaged as well when it rolled out of my car onto concrete. Luckily the lens hood was attached and I think that cushioned the blow. But to me it seems fine, see image below of what it can do for me...

As it happens though I am looking for another lens, but I'm not posting this thread to ask for recommendations as such. I sold my old DSLR with 18-55 lens to my Dad and so I have no focal length between 18mm and 55mm (with 55-250mm STM being another lens I own).

So which lens do you use the most, is it a wide angle, or a zoom or standard lens ?

Sunshine Buttermere by Joel Spencer, on Flickr

Tamron 17-50mm (non IS version) on a Canon crop camera. I don't go for ultra wide angle landscapes - just not my style, I suspect partly because I've never, including in my 35mm days, had a lens any wider than I have now. The only comparison I can make is with the 18-135mm 'kit lens' I use for everything from landscape to wildlife when I'm out walking. My rucksack is heavy enough without taking anything more than basic camera kit. The 18-135mm is a very good lens but the Tamron tops it for sharpness and IQ especially when stopped down. I routinely use the Tamron at f11 but the Canon lens is much happier at f8. My other lenses are for wildlife and macro.

On my (FF) Nikons, it's usually the 24-120 and on the Fujis, the 18-135 - both "walkaround" zooms and/or kit lenses. Very occasionally, I'll use the 12-24 Sigma on the Nikons or the 10-24 on a Fuji but they're both exceptions that prove the rule.

EF-S 18-135 lens. It goes wide enough for my purposes - for those really rare times when I want a distorted landscape I have the EF-S 10-22.

My 'landscapes' tend to be more woodland & forest rather than big coastal or mountain views so in that respect, my most used is 40mm f/1.2 - Followed by, if I need to go wider, 21mm f/3.5.

Astro & night skies is 24mm f/1.4

My most used lens is currently a tamron 10-24mm HLD on my 80D. It's rarely off my camera.
I'm in the process of changing to Canon FF, so I assume the EF 16-35mm f4 L will become my go to lens.

Nikon 28-105 on FX until I moved to Sony, where it will be the 24-105 G now.

This isn't the only style of lens I use, but it gets most use.

For all it's faults, Nikon 16-35 (mind you I use it mostly at 20mm where it has less issues!).

Sigma 24mm f2.8 AF super wide II, Nikon fit.

I just love this lens. Sounds like a tractor when focusing,but, otherwise very nice indeed.

Last edited:
On APS-C my preferred lenses are 10-24 at the beach and 35mm or 50mm in woodland.

The lens I've actually taken most landscape shots with is my 18-55mm, but that's because you can't take pictures with lenses until you actually have one :)

Fuji 10-24mm on the Fuji X-Pro2

Nikon 24-70mm F/2.8E VR on the D850

Fixed 90mm F/3.5 on the Fuji GW690

For landscapes I do like the images a 70-200 gives. A great lens for picking out a section of a landscape. Couple this with a wide telephoto such as 24-105 it covers all of my landscape needs. I’ve never found UWA lenses work for me, I just can’t get the foreground right.

Tokina FiRIN 20mm F2 AF on my a7rii

I like a 20mm on FF - Nikkor F1.8 20mm I use a lot - certainly in my local patch and my usual tripod holes it's on a lot. For UK Landscapes you don't need any wider. I did find though in Spain it wasn't wide enough for some of the small lakes and much bigger mountains than you get here. So I have a 14-24 now as well but I will still keep the 20 as it's such a nice little thing.

Last edited:
18-35mm AFS on my Nikon, relatively cheap and produces results I am pleased with.

I previously used a Canon 10-22 but last year I bought the 10-18.
I've quite liked using a super wide angle lens for landscapes but last year when I got back from Turkey, I prefered the landscapes I took with the 70-300L.
Various post on here including the points of view of a user called long lens photography have got me thinking more about getting away from using a super wide angle lens for landscapes.

A couple of years ago I went through all the pics that were then on my website and classified them into 4 categories of different focal length (sad, eh?). The surprise was, the spread was absolutely even, from (all ffe) 17-24 to 135-200. I'd predicted my 'favourite' would be 85-135 but I was wrong.

Hi, my favorite landscape lens: ZEISS Loxia 2,8/21 (on SONY A7R2. (From a lens-portfolio from 12mm - 600mm)).

Last edited:
When I had my Canon 5D I had the 24-105 and 17-40 lenses as I was convinced I needed the 17-40. When I went through the exif data on 17-40 shots, they were overwhelmingly shot at 24mm.:rolleyes:

FWIW I own 21-35 and 12-24 lenses, and I found that while the 21-35 was useful as a walk-about lens, the 12-24 really wasn't and needed to be used for specific applications only, despite the overlap.

Probably my Tamron 17-35 OSD at the moment but I do like to bust out the 70-200 whenever possible.

Just interested to see which lens you use more than anyother for your landscape photography. For me, it's easily the humble 10-18mm EFS. Really is a superb lens.

Pleased to hear of another fan for the 10-18 EFS. I think its a cracking lens and superb value for money. Took this shot with it a few weeks ago in North Wales when my 24-105 was just a little long.

Looking down on Llyn Dinas after a very early start. by Tony Keogh, on Flickr

Using my Nikon AF-S 17-55mm f/2.8G IF-ED DX alot more recently for landscapes. Got this lens used from mpb for a fraction of the price new. Really
well built and sharp across the focal range despite its age.

Either my 85 or 35mm, the former usually shot at f2.8 ish, but down to f1.8 if needed, and the latter around f11 - so its the difference between drawing attention to a selected part of the landscape or getting it pretty much all in focus

I sometimes use my 14-24 for 'special' shots, which is also usually f11 and my 150mm mostly about f4

I guess my answer is really dependent on what's in front of me and what I'm trying to get the viewer's attention onto

Dave

As David says, it's down to what's in front of you.
If you want to emphasise the foreground, then wider angles are what I'd go with, but if you want to draw the eye into a detail in the scene, then a longer lens would be useful.
When I was on crop Canon, I used the Sigma 18-50 f2.8 a lot. Image quality was great, much better than the kit lens. You could do most things with it and 18mm was pretty wide.
I did later add the Sigma 10-20mm but found that though it was good for an interesting field of view, it didn't get used much. I bought it to use on a trip to Norway, but found that I didn't use it there much at all or much in general after that trip.
You do have to learn how to use a wide angle effectively though and perhaps at that point, I wasn't very good at wide angle compositions.
These days I have the Canon 16-35mm on full frame for my wide angle and a 24-105 L for my general walk about lens. But actually the 24-105 covers most of my needs. 24mm is fairly wide (equivalent to 15mm on crop sensor) and 105 is particularly useful on the long end for detail shots and panoramas.
If I had to just have one lens for landscapes, it would be the 24-105.

For the OP, I would want to fill the gap between 18 and 55mm. A kit lens would fill the gap, but a 17-50/55mm f2.8 lens would be a worthwhile upgrade.

Reactions: smr
I'm just starting to venture into landscape and its good to read what lenses others use, I have a 50mm f/1.4 and a 70-200mm f/2.8 so hopefully these will good to start with and I might even try my 400mm DO mk2 at landscapes

Zuiko 12-40 f/2.8 (28-80 35mm equ.) and
Laowa 7.5 f/2 (15mm 35mm equ.)

Back