Your opinion on Ken Rockwell

Name
Greg
Edit My Images
Yes
When I started getting keen on photography I was convinced Ken Rockwell's take on equipment etc was the bee's knees. I have recently become a little sceptical as I find a lot of inconsistencies from one review to another. Any thoughts on this?

I used to feel the same way, I read and reacted to his reviews on several occasions but have doubted his consistency. Recently I was looking to possibly buy a Fuji Xpro1 camera and read his review which basically said it was the best ever but then when reading a review of his regarding another similar camera, he was slating the Xpro big time! That made me start looking at other reviews and there are plenty of other anomalies so my opinion has now taken a bit of a dive I'm afraid.
I'm not now quite so keen to accept his opinions as readily as I once was.

I think a lot of us started with Ken... and then we move on. But in all fairness, you have to admire the guy... he's done really well with what he does.

His site is useful for facts, e.g. the history of a particular lens size but most of the rest is fiction :)
I guess that's true, the info is very useful but as you say, the rest is best swept aside and taken with a pinch of salt.

If you want to get a proper opinion, read many reviews not just one - whoever that one may be.

He runs the website to make money, so whatever works for him I guess.

I actually really like the way he lays out the technical info and product shots for pretty much every major lens/camera, it's a bit old school but really clear and easy to read.

As for the opinion, I don't take any notice of that stuff, I just credit him for making a living and knowing exactly how the draw a massive audience, smart businessman. I'm sure much of the disdain for the guy is jealousy that he has managed to make a seemingly good living from playing around with new camera kit.

If you want to get a proper opinion, read many reviews not just one - whoever that one may be.

He runs the website to make money, so whatever works for him I guess.
Totally agree with that, the more reviews the better but I also think this forum is a brilliant place to get info as it's real world opinions from people who have the item and have experienced the positives and negatives first hand.

He certainly provokes debate. I think I first heard of him on this forum.

I'm more worried about the folk who take what he says as gospel ;)

Every review is written to sell you the item you're looking at if not upsell you to the next model.

It's not so much a camera review site but rather an exercise in psychology.

Personally, I think a lot of Ken's advice/reviews is/are practical/realistic... People (we photographers) tend to get twisted about little things that don't matter much to the "art" of photography.
Of course, everything on the web needs to be taken with a grain of salt...

The funniest part about this discussion is that we talk about gear and they get to play with it! Yeah I read Ken's site when I first started in digital. Don't bother now.

I could do without him,but I don't want to.He does hit the nail on the head with a lot of what he says and he turns the information out quickly and consistantley. He destroys many myths that the marketing men would have you believe. I just wish he would not write "gotten" it's "got" Ken!.

I've read some really good stuff on Ken's site and because of this I always feel a little disappointed when he puts his nutter on the net hat on and goes off on a mad rant.

Got to admit that even when he does this he still has his charms... one thing I don't like is reviewers/.bloggers who wont express an opinion. Ken may have his faults but at least he does that.

Last edited:
I think for anyone who happens across his site that is new to Photography, it could be 'dangerous'. As soon as I read that he said you shouldn't use RAW for Landscapes many years ago, I knew he was a d**k. Then I knew that he wrote BS. And reports of some of the things he has said over the years have not changed my mind.

He admits that he makes stuff up for 'entertainment', but from what I remember all those years ago on one of the few times I visited his site, it only said so on the front page, or even in the 'about me' section. Not going to up his site stats by checking. ;-) :rolleyes: Which is fine, if you know, but if you find yourself on a page within his site from a link and never heard of him, one wouldn't know it may be BS if you hadn't seen the front page. As the site is large and looks professional, and some people may see it as a good resource.

He posts some outrageous things to obviously get site hits, and to inflame people on sites like this, which also leads to more hits on his site. He flips flops on opinions about gear. He gets people to play into his scheme, and my cynical head would have me question the identity or the intentions of the OP. :cautious: :LOL:

He seems to be very successful at what he does, which you have to admire, but I don't admire the way he does it. I know I couldn't do it. I advise the naive and uninformed to steer clear. Anyone else, if you decide to visit, and get taken in by his BS, then it is your own fault. :rolleyes: :LOL:

I'm aware of the irony in contributing to a thread about him, as it only adds to his notoriety as far as search engines are concerned. ;)

Needs to be somewhat controversial so that viewers visit his website thereby generating higher advertising revenue.

If you don't like him click elsewhere, daresay some of what he says makes sense and other stuff doesn't.

I have read a few of his articles, very handy for Lens size and weight specs, cant say I have any strong views one way or another

I think he can be dangerous - well, some of his advice can be (to newbies' wallets!) There is some useful stuff buried in all the BS but if you don't know enough to know which is good advice, you can invest less than wisely based on his BS. Take it with a pinch of salt and/or treat it like Viz's top tips - entertainment with a couple of potentially useful hints.

Find it a useful source and specs and good product photos for details etc

It's the Internet. Everyone has an opinion. It doesn't matter who is right, people will gravitate to the one opinion that confirms theirs.

It's the Internet. Everyone has an opinion. It doesn't matter who is right, people will gravitate to the one opinion that confirms theirs.
Yep true. The problem is that, as he's so well known a lot of beginners tend to think what he writes is gospel and can be led astray. I guess that's their problem though not his ;)

That Jared I shoot Raw bloke did a massive rant about him, it was very comical IIRC
I quite like Ken.....take him with a pinch of salt . Jared Polen really gets on my wick with his limp 'fro' and sniff test's etc .
Agreed he's a complete tool but at least he has/is a pro shooter with a decent portfolio unlike Ken lol

The thing with Jared is he's a modern photographer, making money out the business. Whilst theres photo tips on there, equipment reviews, realistically it's a business model and help on how to make money, as are his interviews, which is a shame as his photography isnt bad. However, how to make money, how to use social media and the internet, sponsorship, how to get opportunities, all valuable insights into the business and the bloggers etc are the ones being offered opportunities now by the marketing departments. As an aside, His photography videos and tutorials are quite good, but these are sold as part of his income, so don't form part of his podcast

Same with Ken Rockwell. They've found a business model that allows them to make money.

Useful place for specs and reviews is FredMiranda, but again as an American site theres a little of the more the money spent the better the kit.

One of the best places for UK photographers is this smallish forum called Talk Photography, dunno if you've heard of it. As with everything on the internet theres some opinionated members who aren't always right, but generally it's the best place for info for photography in the uk.

I don't mind old uncle ken, you just have to know where to find the odd useful bit of info amongst the BS. There is a good wealth of info on there about old Nikon mf lenses, even if its just down to the specs of them which can be hard to find elsewhere.

hes a bandwagon that people like to jump on in order to look like theyre part of the herd. Out of all the different systems ive owned in the past he's actually been pretty spot on in what he has said about them. I think its just the style of his writing that put people off. He's clearly a good businessman.

I agree with you. Too many people jump on tiny little points, take them out of context and like they are the most important thing for everyone. Lol a bit like a usual day on any Internet forum.

I have visited his site a few times over the years, this is mainly for entertainment purposes. If I have done an internet search on a particular item and his website appears in the first few, I tend to skip his and go elsewhere. It is amazing the amount of cameras and equipment he says he buys. Does he really buy and own all that equipment he says he does? He also tells us where he bought them from, by giving us a link to click.

Back