Your photography pet hates

Ricardodaforce

Self requested ban
Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
No
I've read through this really interesting thread What's your 'pet-hate' in a photograph? and it made me think about photography in general, and not just photographs. So, what are your photography pet hates. The first thing that comes to my mind is when people refer to their 50mm prime lens as a "nifty" or "nifty fifty" :razz:

OK, your turn!

The "Manual is the only way to use a camera properly" brigade.

Constantly being asked "what paper do I work for?"

People who think you must buy a 50mm lens, just because it's cheap. even though you have a 1.6 crop camera, which means that the lens is no longer a standard lens, but a short tele.

With no reference to the previous post - constant reference to a 'crop' sensor............it is what it is.

Also if a picture dosen't comply with this or that rule it's no good:bang:

I've got lots! Here are a few for starters:
People who assume I bought my kit just so I could photograph their mate's wedding for free.
People who ask me if I'm taking photographs when I'm standing pointing a camera at something.
People who ask me to do some photographic job and when I say no, they tell me "But I've already told them you would. You're letting everyone down."
Idiots who insist on pulling stupid faces and mucking about when I'm trying to take photos.
People who give me a smug grin and they tell me what type of camera they have and how it cost more than mine - I don't care about cameras, I care about photographs. If you want to impress me, show me your photographs.

People who think that a lens hood is to protect your lens

People who think lens is spelled lens

People who talk about "bokeh"

Last edited:
The "Manual is the only way to use a camera properly" brigade.

This one drives me nuts!

I also know people who stubbornly insist that they never edit photos and get everything right in the camera, yet shoot in raw.

People who use HDR for every shot - even family snaps

When taking pictures somewhere and people (generally teenagers or drunks) come up and say 'take my picture'. :annoyed:

Why would I want to take their picture? :shrug:

The belief that they are so important that their picture should be taken by every photographer in the street always baffles me. :razz:

Go away and get out of the way of what I actually want to take a picture of. :bang:

Not quite photography, but people who refer to "MS windows" as "windoze"

Heated arguments about brands, JPEG v raw, the merits of the PASM and 'green box' modes and UV filters for protection. It's your camera, and they're your photographs, so use whatever works for you.

Confrontational replies to people asking for advice about shooting a wedding for family and friends. A lot of these posts make valid points, but hiring a pro isn't an option for everyone, and snide comments about how much the couple are probably spending on the dress and the reception are unnecessary.

Ill mannered posts and personal attacks.

But if it's wonky....:shrug: :LOL:

Sorry, but it is a simple thing to check in whatever editing program. An horizon should only not be straight if you meant it to be. imho. ;)

If the person is happy with their image then that's fine with me. I dunno how many times I've seen people post here and the only critique they get is "horizon is not straight".

The expressions 'Tog' 'Toggers' Togging' etc.

Peoples websites where they say they have a 'passion' for photography.

Photographers who list their camera gear on their website. FYI, people don't give a toss what gear you use. Does Gordon Ramsay say what gas cooker he uses on his website...?

Photographers who give away the digital files for virtually nothing.

People who state they are 'award winning' but their work is of a highly dubious standard.

People who insist that there is a `correct` way of doing photography - you can only do landscape during `the golden hour`, you must use a tripod for landscape, even though you have a meter reading saying 1/2,000th is the shutter speed you need, it is essential to use a grey card to set WB even though you are shooting RAW, top-mounted flash is incapable of getting a decent portrait. I'll be thinking of more all day now. I hate that. :)

Agree with everyone who thinks people who say they `do it all in the camera` are smug idiots who don't know what they are talking about, people who use three different editing programmes on every shot, people who think RAW is always correct. People who think jpeg is always correct. People who denigrate a provenly excellent lens because a test under lab conditions suggests that it is marginally inferior to some other lens, but who don't know how to take a meter reading and always shoot in AV because it's cool.

And... look, I have to go to work. If I'm late, it's your fault, OP.

Last edited:
Gear freaks, having all the best gear doesn't necessarily take the best photo it's the person behind it that does, so insisting that someone is never going to get a great shot with the kit they have winds me up no end, I have seen some great images on here with what would be considered low end gear, equally I have seen some tosh with high end

Last edited:
maybe I'm just too easy-going but I can't think of anything :)

mostly I'm impressed by the number of folk who wait for you to take your shot before walking in front of the camera

and I love it when people think I'm working for a paper :p

and even when mister policeman comes to enquire about my night-time activities he goes away more interested in photography than before

so I guess all my gripes are to do with the 'photography rules' brigade, especially the ones who are obsessed with the 'rule of 3rds' - because sometimes, the subject really does look ok slap bang in the middle of the frame!

People who insist that focal length length changes when you put a lens on an APS-C camera. God knows where they learned their physics.

To be honest... threads like this! in my view there is no place for negativity in photography.

Photogrpahy is a creative prosses and there is no "right" way, so let poeple get on and do it there way and stop getting annoyed by it! :D

Stuart

My pet hate is people who come up to me when I'm shooting with a camera on a tripod and ask "what are you doing?" Lets be honest it's fairly obvious really.

Photographers advising other photographers to not worry about white balance.. take it in RAW and fix later.. .. Oh My God!!! your telling people to take bad pictures!

To be honest... threads like this! in my view there is no place for negativity in photography.
Photogrpahy is a creative prosses and there is no "right" way, so let poeple get on and do it there way and stop getting annoyed by it! :D

Stuart

Unless you use someting like film...I use to end up with loads of negatives. :p

if your serious.. i have to say... i saw this thread as light hearted.. bit of fun and a bit of release :)

Another one: People who think membership of the local camera club is some sort of qualification that makes them better photographers than anyone else and gives them the right to pass judgement on other people's photographs (usually snooty, derogatory remarks invoking the "rules" of photography or based on the camera used).

can my pet hate be that I don't know enough yet :D

The first question most people asked me when I first got my camera.

"How many Mega Pixels is your camera..."

Of course it has an effect on your pictures but it is not the standard for what makes a camera good or not!

Back