Your photography pet hates

People that talk about kit all the bloody time and spend hours talking about the finer details of absolutely nothing important rather than taking and sharing photos.

My hate is equipment reviews in the magazines - for example a macro lens test where they have the usual suspects but no Pentax D-FA/DA Macro. Naturally the winner is always the Nikon or Canon, but that is no good to me whatsoever as neither come in PK-AF fit.

You should get a better camera then :naughty:

Short people that get in front of me, then precede to hold their camera up above their head and in my frame, so annoying.

:)

1. People with cheaper, more entry-level kit than me. Clear wannabes who dilute the photography pool and should stick to camera phones.

2. People with more expensive, better kit than me. Spoilt rich kids making up for their lack of photography skill by flashing their wallets.

1. People with cheaper, more entry-level kit than me. Clear wannabes who dilute the photography pool and should stick to camera phones.

2. People with more expensive, better kit than me. Spoilt rich kids making up for their lack of photography skill by flashing their wallets.

Basically everyone then? ;)

Basically everyone then? ;)

Yeah pretty well :)

On a serious note, I was on a safari a fortnight ago and that really brought them out. The guy shooting a family of elephants two hundred yards away in bright sunlight using his flash (DSLR which makes it worse). People using ipads, just looks daft. A couple taking turns taking photos of each other in the foreground with the elephants in the background - and then sitting together while taking a joint photo with outstretched arms. As if this wonderful site of nature is improved by sticking a couple of grinning idiots in the foreground. Ugh.

Above all, people who think a photo is about showing that you are somewhere and making it all about you, rather than trying to create a nice image and make something of what's in front of you.

Rant over :)

Short people that get in front of me, then precede to hold their camera up above their head and in my frame, so annoying.

:)

Cattle prod - simples

BTW it's proceed not preced.

S

Last edited:
If other non photographers are happy to take pictures with there Ipads then what is the problem with that? (refering to all here not just the above post) I'm sure they are quite content with what they are doing and if they read this thread most would think its a bit pathetic and I'd agree with them.

I take pictures with my iphone all the time, because surprisingly enough I don't walk a round with a DSLR over my shoulder everytime I leave for work in the morning..

I think stuff like that is really pretentious tbh

If other non photographers are happy to take pictures with there Ipads then what is the problem with that? (refering to all here not just the above post) I'm sure they are quite content with what they are doing and if they read this thread most would think its a bit pathetic and I'd agree with them.

I take pictures with my iphone all the time, because surprisingly enough I don't walk a round with a DSLR over my shoulder everytime I leave for work in the morning..

I think stuff like that is really pretentious tbh
I think your missing the whole point of the thread :LOL:

People that don't walk around with a DSLR around their shoulder when they leave for work.

Ok maybe I did not understand the spirit in which it was meant ;)

Yeah pretty well :)

On a serious note, I was on a safari a fortnight ago and that really brought them out. The guy shooting a family of elephants two hundred yards away in bright sunlight using his flash (DSLR which makes it worse). People using ipads, just looks daft. A couple taking turns taking photos of each other in the foreground with the elephants in the background - and then sitting together while taking a joint photo with outstretched arms. As if this wonderful site of nature is improved by sticking a couple of grinning idiots in the foreground. Ugh.

Above all, people who think a photo is about showing that you are somewhere and making it all about you, rather than trying to create a nice image and make something of what's in front of you.

Rant over :)

Never took a holiday photo then?

Photographers who can't just let other people enjoy taking pictures without criticising them as if everyone gave a monkeys about photography.
Most people just want to grab a snap of their friends/family/holiday. Who gives a damn if it's on an ipad, a phone or a disposable goddamn camera? If they stick it up on Facebook and the focus is all to cock and the exposure is bad...honestly, who cares?
Photography, to most people, serves a purpose beyond taking a technically good photograph.

People who have a huge ego and think they can do no wrong, every shot being pure gold because their friends and family (and probably facebook) tell them how amazing they are.

People who have a huge ego and think they can do no wrong, every shot being pure gold because their friends and family (and probably facebook) tell them how amazing they are.

(y) and post their shots for in the feedback and critique forum , then have a huge dummy spit when anyone suggests they aren't completely perfect in every way

I find this often gets worse throughout the years as well.

How many times have we heard the "I've been doing ____ photography for 200 years so my advice is better than everyone here"

I find this often gets worse throughout the years as well.

How many times have we heard the "I've been doing ____ photography for 200 years so my advice is better than everyone here"

Well I've been doing photography for 55 years but does anyone listen,
!OH NO! :bonk:

Photographers who can't just let other people enjoy taking pictures without criticising them as if everyone gave a monkeys about photography.
Most people just want to grab a snap of their friends/family/holiday. Who gives a damn if it's on an ipad, a phone or a disposable goddamn camera? If they stick it up on Facebook and the focus is all to cock and the exposure is bad...honestly, who cares?
Photography, to most people, serves a purpose beyond taking a technically good photograph.

This. Most people are happy with what they take and who should we be to put them down.

Another one is when you are taking pictures in a park and someone comes up and says:

Do you want me to take a photo of you?
No thank you
Do you know a what's her face (eg)?
No!
Are you working for a paper
NO! Sorry

Also taking pictures in an empty park, and parents with young mothers come up shouting pervert stop taking photo's.

Critique on a photo that simply states:" This photo does not do anything for me."

When your minding your own business in a park, and yobs come along shouting out nearbye 'I'm going to smash your camera' or jumping in the way.

People who just think its ok to pick up your camera and play with it because you've put it down

Back