Your photography pet hates

I actually quite like this site :p. Not for the "which is best" comparison it gives but it is useful to have the raw camera specification data side by side to make your own judgement/comparison.

This is fair but I have seen too many "camera x is better than camera y, says so here" answers on tp recently.

I just remembered another one, the concept of straight out of camera, especially when it's related to film.

Your film images didn't look like anything 'straight out of the camera' because they were undeveloped and still light sensitive when you took the film out the camera.

People that say adding grain to a digital image is one of the cardinal sins then go and push TMax for daylight shooting and dev it hard in Rodinal.

people who ask for advice/critique then have a flying teddies moment because it isnt what they wanted to hear

people who take offence on behalf of others (very common in wedding threads and critique threads) "If i was the OP i'd be offended by that" , yes but you weren't so shut your piehole

People who think that more expensive/newer gear will automatically make them a better photographer.

people who bang on about 'photographers rights' especially those who have no clear understanding of the law at hand

Last edited:
Equipment snobbery :wacky:

And on forums in general the Grammar Nazi :razz:

People who ask for advice/help then don't reply or say thanks when it is given.

Last edited:
People who can't get passed the fact a camera is just a light sealed box with something photosensitive at the back, be it film, or sensor, regardless of how many pixels you have, or have not.
Im not a luddite by any means but i never forget that.

People who ask for advice/help then don't reply or say thanks when it is given.

This one drives me nuts. Happens on all forums but seems to happen a lot on here.

I also notice in a lot of the for sale threads people will ask for exhaustive information and test shots. The seller will oblige only to never hear from the person who asked again. Not happened to me yet but it would drive me mad.

People who wander into the scene when you are set up to take a shot and then, knowing what you are doing, decide to stand there having a conversation until the moment has passed and the shot is lost.

g7swz said:
People who wander into the scene when you are set up to take a shot and then, knowing what you are doing, decide to stand there having a conversation until the moment has passed and the shot is lost.

In all fairness, that's just people doing people stuff, it comes with the territory of taking photos in public areas. i doubt many of them even realise what they are doing even if it seems that way to you.

The thing that winds me up is when I see inexperienced photographers using company names, yet asking the most basic questions on forums. I swear some people must a) buy a camera, b) start a business (with a fancy watermark etc), then c) learn how to use the camera.

WOW... I didnt realise what a grumpy auld bugger I am until I read all these hates and most of them are things I hate.

Nifty Fiftys... Togs.... :)

I personally hate overly photoshopped images and as for 'wooly water' dont get me started

I'm a photographer, not an artist, I take photographs, I want to capture the moment for what it is, not take it, then spend a week titivating it in to something that just wasnt there in the first place.

People who tell you how they absolutely love your stuff but wont give you £5 for a print.

cheesy spot colouring, its been done to death and when people first started doing it it was cool, now its just cheesy.

I think I need to get out of this hobby... there's too much hate...

The thing that winds me up is when I see inexperienced photographers using company names, yet asking the most basic questions on forums. I swear some people must a) buy a camera, b) start a business (with a fancy watermark etc), then c) learn how to use the camera.

I'm SO with you there... Facebook is full of 'First Name Surmame Photography' as is FlickR

Its a bit like the IT game where everyone who's got a computer at home is a 'consultant' or a 'web designer' :bang:

OMG yes! I visited the Sagrada Familia and got some decent shots like this which has been licensed by Getty:

La Sagrada Familia by Ricardodaforce, on Flickr

But there was one that I really wanted to get. To get these shots I was putting the camera on the floor and using the self timer. In the middle of what would have been my killer shot, a tourist walked into it :bang:

Mind you, there were hundreds in it, so I should have expected it!

I'm sure many people can relate to this… Not sure if it has already been said…

Anyone and everyone that owns a camera, refers to themselves as a 'Photographer' and then has to start a Facebook 'Photography Page' or similar

"Images" and "clients"

some good stuff in here :LOL:

i don't understand what the problem with amateurs or dare i say it, weekend warriors :thinking:

Its a bit like the IT game where everyone who's got a computer at home is a 'consultant' or a 'web designer' :bang:

Or all of us who install programmes (software) on our phones and computes, makes us all computer programmers ;)

I hate the All the gear but no idea Brigade and the 500mm over the shoulder look ,it's like they are walking around with their pants down ,especialy when i am sat their with my tiny 100-400mm ......

I hate the classifieds on here for having too many tempting offers sometimes!

Nothing else really annoys me besides people who consider themselves experts when there probably just Joe average.

....The first thing that comes to my mind is when people refer to their 50mm prime lens as a "nifty" or "nifty fifty"...

You are my hero. I've been banging this drum for ages and all I got was this lousy sub-header below my screen name :LOL:

On other matters, I get fed up of excuses for bad photography: "I didn't have a tripod and I forgot to set the white balance and I had a hangover and it was a Thursday and there was rain forecast and I'd forgotten how to pan and the HDR slider got stuck on 10 and I tried shooting star trails in the day and my car rig was too bouncy and the earth moved and my image stabilisation wasn't working and I used someone else's camera and.../SNIP/..."

Last edited:
Uncle Bobs (and Aunty Jane’s) coming up to me while I’m flat out covering a wedding and asking what settings am I using……………..Stock answer “Please consult your Manuals”

People on forums who feel the need to list ever piece of equipment they own on their signature, and particularly those who state 2x something and those who use the L word…………………..wake up and smell the coffee, no one gives a flying hoot, this does not impress anyone.

Last edited:
Kemble3 said:
Uncle Bobs (and Aunty Jane’s) coming up to me while I’m flat out coving a wedding and asking what settings am I using……………..Stock answer “Please consult your Manuals”

People on forums who feel the need to list ever piece of equipment they own on their signature, and particularly those who state 2x something and those who use the L word…………………..wake up and smell the coffee, no one gives a flying hoot, this does not impress anyone.

Do you do dado rails and skirting to go with the coving then or is that extra? Lol

People who tell me my camera(s) is/are "out of date", or ask "how do you know if the photo will be good?"

They might be older than I am, and certainly older than your DSLR, but that doesn't mean they can't be used to take a decent photo! Do they think 'good' photography only started with digital when you can check your screen?

I hate having to DECIPHER the deep and meaningful explanation printed on a tiny white card next to a 10x8 foot aluminium mounted print because what is mounted on the print is just a washed out and fuzzy concept that the photographer/artiste has failed to deliver on visual merit alone. Don't get me wrong, i have seen some awe inspiring images presented in exactly the same way that are fluent in every way but when it doesn't quite work....don't reach for the thesaurus please, reach for your camera and do it properly

Uncle Bobs (and Aunty Jane’s) coming up to me while I’m flat out covering a wedding and asking what settings am I using……………..Stock answer “Please consult your Manuals”

:plus1: To the gear bit:LOL:

HDR!

People who think they are photography geniuses just because they sold a picture or have many facebook/flickr comments.

Last edited:
People who dismiss a photo as "just a snapshot"

and conversely those people who think that every picture they take is a masterpiece when many are just snapshots :razz: :LOL:

One of the best threads I have read in ages. It is always good to have a moan. I agree with so many here.

Here are a couple of mine

1. People who, from their post, appear to be articulate and able to understand the language but then ask, "Can my camera do XXX?"

Come on, you know what it is you want to do, you have a manual for the camera, look it up.

If after that they want help about doing whatever it is or it hasn't worked they way they thought it would, then fair enough, but to ask, "Can my camera do XXX?" is just lazy.

2. People who ask why one their photos is too dark, too light, is not sharp or in some other way has not come out the way they want but then don't add the photo so the rest of us can see the problem.

Dave

The "casual" passer by who hovers behind you watching intently whilst you shoot, and then makes the inevitable statement "There's a few bob's worth of kit there" or "I had a SoCankon 999 Mk46.5 a few years ago. 'Course that was when you needed skill to take a good snap" etc.

I had one bloke come out with "that's a big camera" the other day. What was I supposed to say to that? "Well I'm compensating for the atrophied dimensions of a part of my anatomy"?

I suppose then my pet hate is barmy comments from a certain type of person.

Nothing bothers me now. I'm too mellow. :p

Back