Zine Exchange VI: May - September 2023

I think I might try and find some words around the "spirit" of the exchange for the next one, as David alluded to. One to think on.
This could just be a one-off, personally I wouldn't like it to deviate too far from what we have unless there is a real issue. IME tweaking "rules" can get very complex

I'll leave it to the various authors to decide if they want to show their work. It always feels wrong taking a photo of someone else's photography! I will be doing a new cover image for the next exchange though. The amount of zines I now have is getting a bit out of hand.

Would it be appropriate to post links to the mixam previews? Or does that defeat the intent of the zine swap?

I didn't seem to get a preview this time.
think if you go into your account there is a link to the preview of all your previous orders, though I've just looked and can't find it now ....... it's definitely there somewhere, I have all mine bookmarked

ok found it, go into your account, click on the order number 1696365495220.png thenscroll down to the preview button 1696365525792.png

Last edited:
Would it be appropriate to post links to the mixam previews? Or does that defeat the intent of the zine swap?
Fine by me!

Thx for the link. That’s cool! I think I’d like to participate to the next one. will be fun getting zines from other members and also good to have a project in mind and not just randomly taking pics.

I know it's a layout error but I liked seeing a record by The Beatles. :D
So do we! As long as the record matches the sleeve of course.

Here's a link to mine:

I now have all of the zines and they are each in their own way very impressive. This zine exchange has been very enjoyable; I've learnt a lot and I'm looking forward to the next.

New to this thread and forum. Have recently done a RPS course on photo book design using Affinity Publisher and designed a magazine of holiday images (a ’double A-side‘ through Blurb) and had it printed as a result. Am participating in the RPS’s Landscape Group’s zine project and exchange. Also got a batch of Cafe Royal zines on offer so am getting the bug For the little blighters.

I’d really like to join the next round if there is one if the master @Harlequin565 allows.

New to this thread and forum. Have recently done a RPS course on photo book design using Affinity Publisher and designed a magazine of holiday images (a ’double A-side‘ through Blurb) and had it printed as a result. Am participating in the RPS’s Landscape Group’s zine project and exchange. Also got a batch of Cafe Royal zines on offer so am getting the bug For the little blighters.

I’d really like to join the next round if there is one if the master @Harlequin565 allows.
I expect there will be another and you'll be more than welcome to join in, think the timescale for these is now 1 per year, but I stand to be corrected on that

Welcome to TP Paul. You'd be welcome next time around.

the timescale for these is now 1 per year
That's what I was kinda working on. I'm beginning to look at the pile of zines I own and thinking that more than 1 a year would get ridiculous pretty quickly. The next one will be #7. Those that have been in all of them so far will have quite a few zines by now! Nothing to stop anyone taking photos for a new zine, or getting thinking caps on though. I'll probably put a new thread up in Jan/Feb/March or so and link to it from here so that anyone subscribed to the thread should get an alert. Unless the forum goblins get you.

Here's my last one - the new version is similar but upright. ;)
Can I ask why you went A4 with it? It's only the 2nd A4 zine I think I've received (the other one was from Sean @Thmaga) and I'm feeling I'd like to go A4 next, but for no other reason than bigger pictures :) Hoping there's a philosophical reason for it :)

Can I ask why you went A4 with it? It's only the 2nd A4 zine I think I've received (the other one was from Sean @Thmaga) and I'm feeling I'd like to go A4 next, but for no other reason than bigger pictures :) Hoping there's a philosophical reason for it :)
I have several A4 zines - my Zine collection is well into the 100s though - I thought that @ancient_mariner ’s zine was excellent and I really liked it (despite having an aversion to 3:2 vertical images - I thought that the zine really worked.

Welcome to TP.

Myself and @Penlens are also participating in the RPS Landscape group zine project so may see you there.

I'm both pleased and relieved that you like them. There were multiple reasons for A4, but the primary driver was because for these images I felt they would lose too much through being printed small. Not all the images, but a majority in this version felt to me like they had a sense of depth at A4 that just wasn't there in A5. Also in both this and the previous one, the smaller pictures weren't graphically strong enough to hold up, and having quite a bit of fine detail, lost too much. I regret using smaller images now, and wish they had all been full-size, except for possibly putting a single image across the centrefold. Another reason was that I wanted something I might be able to sell in the future, and felt a larger size might prove more attractive.

I need to confess that I've not really had time to properly look at the zines I've received yet, but would like to thank everyone who participated this time for their work.

The next one is already in the planning stage. I've not bought any equipment for a couple of years now, and I'm thinking I'd rather invest producing zines instead than just buying more lenses etc.

I really liked this zine exchange, there were some great zines, several of which I've looked at multiple times. Like @ancient_mariner I've not been afflicted by GAS for some time, and found that I'm really enjoying my photography, and zines are a great outlet for my work. I seem to have multiple projects on the go at once, and some of these are certainly zine compliant. I enjoy the process and am looking forward to the next zine exchange.

A big thanks to IAn (@Harlequin565) for kicking this whole exchange idea off - its been a lot of fun, and certainly made my photography more project based taher than random collections of images, it gives more purpose to a photograhy outing!

Thank you and will participate. Came up with new project this morning so might use that - you lucky recipients.
I doubt they will be as lucky as when I did my hair experiment and enclosed it with one of the zine exchanges. Thankfully there are only a single digit number available. The world just isn't ready for that sort of thing.

certainly made my photography more project based, rather than random collections of images
I too am finding myself drifting into that arena. I get more satisfaction from taking more than one image to tell a story these days.

Just a few thoughts on the zines received this “season”;

This Constant Flux –Jules (Penlens)

A zine which combines photography with poetry which immediately puts it outside my comfort zone. I enjoyed especially the film photography, some of which have the 70's vibe which remind me of my childhood and early introduction to photography. The back cover image in particular with its use of negative space appealed to me.

I'm not usually one for poetry, but I read all of them more than once, and whilst most passed me bye, I did appreciate a couple of them, in particular "This Constant Flux".

Little Piece of History – Ian (Harlequin 565)

I recognise Ians’ work now from exposure to his previous zines, this one was again an eclectic mix of images which stirred my nostalgia gene. I recognise many of the objects portrayed from my youth (and in the case of the bobbleheads, from my daughters’ childhood).

Vibrant colours and an iffy musical taste are the stand-out impressions for me.

The fluidity in the zine design is something I am struggling to achieve with my own work, which is always far more formal in its presentation. I’ll be leaning on this next time around as I try to break out of the confines of my own lack of creativity.

Off the Rails 2 – David (Mr Perceptive)

Volume 1 of this zine introduced me to the redundant slate quarries of Snowdonia, and I resolved to pay a visit myself, something which I haven’t yet done. Volume 2 has reinforced that desire. Perhaps next time he’s going up there David could give me a shout J.

The images within this zine capture what I imagine to be the sombre nature of the area, which once bustled with humanity but now lies abandoned. Using colour images is something I personally wouldn’t have considered, but the muted red rust of the abandoned metal work contrasts beautifully with the grey slate, and the approach works surprisingly (to me anyway) well.

Laminated – Chris (Sirch)

This is interesting, it obviously tells a story, with the narrative perhaps being we as average humans need info boards to explain the countryside through which we are treading. What I couldn’t understand was whether this zine was in support of such a notion or against it. Or maybe it matches my own thoughts on these in that I often need them, but I’m embarrassed by the fact I do.

LGBTQ+ Faces of Bristol – Karen (Karenshootsfilm)

A bit of a maverick production for our little group, being separately funded and produced for a purpose other than participation in these swaps, but welcome nonetheless.

The zine is a collection of environmental portraits with a little about the subjects and their sexuality. As a relatively (by comparison with the photographer and subjects) old, straight male the world portrayed is quite alien to me, being somewhat more complex that the straight/gay/bisexual split of my youth.

Reading this zine inspired me to research pansexual, a term I wasn’t familiar with, although having done so I still can’t see the difference between that and bisexual and I remain equally in the dark as to the reason someone would classify themselves as “queer” as opposed to Lesbian or Gay.

To live in a world where labels are unnecessary…

Beside the Water II – Toni (Ancient Mariner)

Well, it seems Toni has stolen one of my ideas for the next zine, and annoyingly he’s done it rather well.

The portrait format used is quite unusual but suits the images allowing them to lead deeper into the frame than a landscape format would.

I loved the ethereal nature of many of these photographs with the winter series standing out above the others.

My wife, a rather outspoken critic for the most part, also enjoyed this zine, though she did suggest that you should have lined up the farthest 3 picnic tables to create an unbroken lead line…..(autumn photograph #2).

I doubt they will be as lucky as when I did my hair experiment and enclosed it with one of the zine exchanges. Thankfully there are only a single digit number available. The world just isn't ready for that sort of thing.
There's a tradition in the 'zine world' of enclosing incidental objects in a zine swap or trade, such as photographic prints, postcards, badges or sticky labels. So maybe you were intent on setting up an experimental hairline protocol of sorts.

In case anyone doesn't keep an eye on the printing forum, when I do the post for the next exchange in the new year, if you want to be notified when it kicks off, just reply to this thread with your interest and I'll tag you when I do it.

Back